Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Jazz 2 soundtrack redux (finally a chance to show off)

JCF Member

Take One is doing well so far

Aug 23, 2008, 04:08 PM
Jazz 2 soundtrack redux (finally a chance to show off)

I can't be bothered to look up the definition of 'redux'. Anyway, I get bored quite often and start remaking music from old video games, simply because I can. These are mainly from Unreal, Jazz Jackrabbit 2 and Doom because they're in formats that are easy to strip down and find the seperate notes and samples.

...Anyway, enough rambling. This topic is for showing off remade, remixed and resampled versions of tracks from JJ2 and even JJ1 if you want - if you have any, feel free to post them; I don't like having the limelight for too long.

Right, I'll start off with mine (no, I'm not quite a proffessional):

Jazz Jackrabbit (2) Theme
Why not start off with the actual theme music? Like almost all of the others, this is nearly finished, but not quite. I thought that I'd take liberties with some of the arrangements, so I added a saxophone solo, 'finished', as such, a piano solo after the first chorus and wrote a neat little intro because I can. I want to add a propper ending, soon, too. The brass comes from a load of jazzy big band melodies cut up, which took a flipping long time... Regardless, here it is, in all its glory.

Tubelectric
Going in chronological order of when I wrote them, here's the second. This one has the distinction of being the only one that's actually finished. Once again, I took liberties with the arrangements, slightly, but all that's really new in this one are the drum loops, ending, break in the middle and samples/synths used.

Colonius
Funky. Alright, if you're using any kind of bass amplification on your PC and you value your speakers, I strongly suggest that you turn it off, because the bass in this one is extremely loud and I haven't fixed it yet. I could probably find a better guitar sound than that, too. I want to use a slightly... 'harsher' keyboard sound for the main part, which I'll sort out shortly. In case you're wondering, yes, that drum loop was sampled from Compound from TimeSplitters (coupled with the one from the original Colonius) and the voice in the vinyl scratching is saying 'foxy sista' - don't ask why...

Dark Knight
Uh... Whoops, that's definately the wrong name. This is a complete remix of the JJ2 version of Medivo. It started out simply as a test for some new bagpipe samples that I'd found, and decided to turn it into an orchestral test. This is the result. It's not finished, obviously; there's a whole section missing between the first chorus and the ending. The ending that you will hear here is only temporary, too (from straight after the stupidly dramatic part, where the bagpipes begin to play again). I know exactly what I want it to sound like... Anyway, this being one of the best things that I've ever made, enjoy.

Diamondus
I just finished this one today (or yesterday, now, technically - it just turned 12AM). Simply a complete resampling of the JJ2 version of Diamondus, but I added a quick ending just to make it feel more complete. I actually had to download a few samples specifically to make this one. I couldn't find any timbales, though, so I had to make do with a hard tom. Believe it or not, that bassline was actually fun to recreate. If I could say one thing about the work of the original composers, it would be that it's amazing how they can write melodies that sound so complex when they actually aren't; mainly, they just use alot of octaves.

...I thought that there were more than that. Oh, well... There are more coming. All of these were composed on either FL Studio 7 or 8, so it proves that it's more than dance that you can write on that. Anyway, any kind of constructive or positive criticism is appreciated, and, as I said, if you have any of your, own, feel free to show them off here.

JCF Member

Speeza is an asset to this forumSpeeza is an asset to this forum

Aug 23, 2008, 05:23 PM
Nice

Your friendly JCF Hillybilly
DavidkazBest poster of 2010 ! [GpW]
n00b

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

Aug 23, 2008, 07:49 PM
The bagpipes in the medivo remix were AWESOME. Perfect timing after listening to the Tonic Trouble soundtrack reminded me how awesome bagpipes are.

I'm not good with the musics, but if someone would do a Hideki Naganuma styled remix of a JJ series song, you'd get my eternal respekt.

JCF Member

Sonyk is doing well so far

Aug 23, 2008, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take One View Post
Anyway, any kind of constructive or positive criticism is appreciated
Are you actually allowed to say that? Not that you'll be hearing anything negative from me anyway, I think I love you now.

Stealth Admin

Torkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legend

Aug 24, 2008, 01:30 AM
I think this has been posted before, but anyway I found this one: Jackrabbit Transformer from The American Album

JCF Member

CrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legend

Aug 24, 2008, 02:34 AM
... this is quite good. Better than a lot of stuff I've heard before (NOT pointing at 2XGJ or Dr. Eggman) :P
Eigus

JCF Member

Eigus is doing well so far

Aug 24, 2008, 02:56 AM
whoa, these are pretty good lemme comment some...

jj2 theme: this is awesome, i think the piano is too dark atm - boost highs maybe?

tubelectric: I'm sure I've heard this one before, I think you've posted a link to this one on IRC once. It's pretty good, I like the 303 playing the 'ieee.st' melody and the drums. imho the dance-ish lead should have more character (boost the highs and mids?). i don't really like the way the gated arp is louder when its pattern starts. also you need some better guitar than a sytrus inferno ;p the guitar is also kind of quiet.

colonius: I also like this one, the drumloop sounds nicely phattened, I don't really like the lead's autopanning (the patch sounds really close to the original colonius lead though!) and the scratching. can't really comment about the bass right now (my speakers are (-)ing up - i'm catching some (-)y radio noise which is also quite bassy and i can't turn it up)

dark knight: this one is my favourite so far. I really like the bagpipes and the orchestral sounds ((-) that reminds me i need to get some bagpipe and organ samples/soundfonts)

diamondus: the worst one in my opinion. the snare totally lacks character and isn't that a standard FL hat? i like the leads and the bass though.

just one question: where did you get the brass and bagpipes from?

JCF Member

Take One is doing well so far

Aug 24, 2008, 03:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyk View Post
Are you actually allowed to say that? Not that you'll be hearing anything negative from me anyway, I think I love you now.
Hah. Thanks. I just meant that I wouldn't really like anyone coming and saying 'duh it SUX' and not even saying why they don't like it.

and thanks, Eigus. Yeah, JJ2 Theme, I'm still stuck with using FL Keys, and I can only make that sound good in pop music. Tubelectric, I know exactly what you mean with the lead, arp and Inferno; I'll fix up the lead. I sometimes stink at volume leveling and I've been trying to look for a better guitar sound for a long time - samples usually just get screwed up in pitch shifting. Colonius, I, uh... forgot to turn the panning off on the lead and the scratching I just threw in to make it sound more... hip-hop...y. Yeah. Dark Knight (I really should rename that to 'Medivo' or something), well thanks alot, really. Diamondus I was kind of just throwing together at random times, while talking to people, too. I didn't put any effects on it, aside from the delay on the steel drums and keyboard, and no mastering apart from velocity and panning. I didn't think that it was particularly brilliant, myself and, yes, that is a standard FL hat... (I didn't think that they sounded that bad though) Heh, ah, well, I don't mind. I'm working on it.

Anyway, thanks for the comments, everyone. It does help alot. Also, I got the bagpipes from the standard free downloads for SampleFusion, admittedly, and the brass came from the big band sections of Breakbeat Paradise - I can't remember the exact URL, unfortunately.
Eigus

JCF Member

Aug 24, 2008, 06:09 AM
Get some decent free piano, Take One (mda piano, 4front piano module, or perhaps some decent multisamples for directwave). About the guitar, you might want to get some guitar samples and an amp/cabinet/guitar fx sim (if I use a guitar, it's a free multisampled Strat with a Slayer 2 FX rig).

How about merging the stereo channels on the colonius lead's mixer track? that should eliminate the annoying autopan effect.

The fl drums are annoying to me. while after a bit of processing they may sound good (for my hats in my trance tracks I use just cb_hat and vt_ohihat2), they don't sound really good when they're dry, and some don't sound good at all (especially dnc_hat... *shudders*).

oh also, I don't know if the snare is supposed to be dark in jazz music (I don't really listen to jazz [/n0b]), but how about boosting some highs on the snare in the jj2 theme?

JCF Member

FawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legend

Aug 26, 2008, 05:38 AM
awesome!

(crimi, this is way better then eggmans music.. ;(..)
(i don't like boom boom music )
Eigus

JCF Member

Aug 26, 2008, 07:51 AM
if you don't like music with a 4-onthefloor beat just don't listen to it -_-

JCF Member

Aug 27, 2008, 07:11 AM
i know.. i am just saying this is better, eigus.. just in general..

JCF Member

Speeza is an asset to this forumSpeeza is an asset to this forum

Aug 27, 2008, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigus View Post
if you don't like music with a 4-onthefloor beat just don't listen to it -_-
I like your music.

Your friendly JCF Hillybilly
DavidkazBest poster of 2010 ! [GpW]
Eigus

JCF Member

Aug 30, 2008, 03:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FawFul View Post
i know.. i am just saying this is better, eigus.. just in general..
have you ever listened to ic_dresearch.it (Luigi Maurizio Elettrico - The Research)? well, i guess not...

JCF Member

DarkB is doing well so far

Aug 30, 2008, 04:12 AM
This songs are very cool

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
n00b

JCF Veteran

Aug 30, 2008, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FawFul View Post
(crimi, this is way better then eggmans music.. ;(..)
(i don't like boom boom music )
Listen to the music in Dr. Eggman's test level. Perfectly nails Alexander Brandon's style down.

@Eigus- I can't find that track, would you be able to upload it?
Eigus

JCF Member

Aug 31, 2008, 02:14 AM
n00b: it's in P4ul's Agony music pack, it's used for Distorted Research Site.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Aug 31, 2008, 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b View Post
Alexander Brandon's style
its boom boom music noob.......-.-
you noob.........
-.-..............
Eigus

JCF Member

Sep 1, 2008, 01:03 AM
it's -_- cooba -_-"

JCF Member

Sep 24, 2008, 12:08 PM
n00b : almost same style as boem boem
Eigus: ok, not boom boom.. but i've seen better composed tracks.
(i find those in this thread better to)
n00b

JCF Veteran

Sep 24, 2008, 12:53 PM
(-), WTF is boem boem.
You can't go around making up music genres.

(-) this, all JJ2 music is Bingo Bango music.

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Sep 25, 2008, 03:24 AM
there's Oingo Boingo if we're at it

(they don't count as a distinct genre unfortunately)

I shall express my opinion on these tracks once I listen. I somehow didn't notice this thread until now.

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Sep 25, 2008, 03:42 AM
okay, here goes

JJ theme: It's great, really. But there are a few minor flaws. For one, the panning seems to shift to the right overall, slightly. Percussion sounds very good, but could use more variation. The 'chorus' would sound much, much better if you just made the percussion stronger in there. Also, scratching during the sax solo is a bit bland. Maybe it needs a better sample or just isn't smooth enough, I'm not sure.

Tubelectric: Lead thingie would sound much better with some note transitions and portamentos. Bass isn't heavy enough compared to the rest of the song. The guitar solo thing came out very cool.

Colonius: Good scratch sample this time, but its rhytm isn't suiting well enough. Also, in the main melody (that used to be on mandolin and now is on piano) there's this note that 'kicks in' with volume - it doesn't sound so well on this instrument. Very good percussion, tho'.

Dark Knight: Great samples (RARGH ME WANTS), great volume and panning balance, moody, touching, etc. But there's one problem... It's definately too simple in progression for listening alone, also a bit repetitive. Yet, for a game or movie, this would no doubt be awesome. But if you're going to add more sections as you say, this song can turn out extremely great even on its own.

Diamondus: Uh... This one stands out from the rest. It's fun, but doesn't have this 'pro' sound to it the previous tracks have. Not much seems to be changed, anyway...

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)
n00b

JCF Veteran

Sep 26, 2008, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleGJ View Post
there's Oingo Boingo if we're at it
Thats what I originally had typed until I remembered it was a band. =P
ThunderPX

JCF Member

ThunderPX is doing well so far

Sep 28, 2008, 06:12 AM
We should totally call hardcore techno "boem boem music" from now on. It'd make differentiating between three different genres called "hardcore" easier, anyway. :P