Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » Beyond Jazz Jackrabbit 2

JazzBusters: THE GAME!

n00b

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

Mar 24, 2006, 06:12 PM
JazzBusters: THE GAME!

Ok, so I was reading the JazzBuster/Mythbuster thread, and I got this cool idea: A JazzBuster game! But it had to be more than just reading a myth and clicking "Busted!" "Plausible" or "Confirmed!".
Long story short, the idea evolved into a platform game where you run about gathering evidence on myths given to you by NPCs. Getting a set of evidence gives you a rank, if you bs your way through the level (as in getting the one or two required pieces of evidence) you get a low rank. Depending on the myth this could be plausible or confirmed. So yes, you can confirm that "a red gem equals 6 gold coins in battle mode" or bust "The blaster is the default weapon in JJ2".

The above is a mockup image. First I'm going to point out that I used the Sirus Tileset for a reason. Mainly for the lampost, which is intregal to gameplay. As a pale-skinned geek/nerd/whatever-lives-in-a-basement your skin is highly sensitive to light, and you must avoid it at all costs while collecting evidence.
Next, I'd like for you to notice the green arrow pointing to an incomplete rabbit sprite. Thats an NPC, and you would run up and talk to him to accept a Myth. The red arrow points to a peice of evidence (I know a battery is far-fetched, work with me here). For the most part, colliding with a peice of evidence will pick it up.

Making threads on game concepts is a bad idea when it's 10 pm.

Banned

Odin is doing well so far

Mar 24, 2006, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b
Making threads on game concepts is a bad idea when it's 10 pm.
And it's an even worse idea when it's 2 in the morning.

I've done both.

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

Mar 24, 2006, 07:34 PM
I kind of like the idea. The whole concept of collecting evidence to prove/disprove a myth needs more clarification, though.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.

JCF Éminence Grise

Fawriel is doing well so far

Mar 25, 2006, 12:40 AM

JCF Member

ThunderPX is doing well so far

Mar 25, 2006, 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radium
I kind of like the idea. The whole concept of collecting evidence to prove/disprove a myth needs more clarification, though.
Judging by the screenshot, I'd say the "evidence" is just random items hidden in the level. The more of these you collect, the higher your score/rank/ego gets.
n00b

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

Mar 25, 2006, 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radium
Evidence are items pertaining to the myth.
For example if the Myth is "Golden batteries are a collectible in JJ2" a peice of evidence would be the battery. Thered be other stuff like "Tileset used" which would be a small icon of a tileset.
One or two pieces of evidence are enough to complete a myth, let's say the two peices of evidence are "Gold battery" and "Sirus tileset used".
Thats enough to confirm a myth that is obviously false.
Theres anout eight or so optional peices of evidence, the higher you get the more likely you'll bust the myth.
However if a myth is something like "The Speed shoes in JJ2 don't work" Its the opposite, and you're trying to confirm the myth. A lack of evidence will bust it.
Succesful completion of myths adds to some other kind of ranking, and the higher this other ranking is, the more NPCs will talk to you. "Failing" a myth (as in, just getting the bare minimum evidence) would subtract from that ranking. The lower this other ranking is, the less NPCs will talk to you, and the ones that do will probably do it in a mocking tone giving you myths like "Norm turtle isn't an enemy in jj2".