Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Idea: Machinima of Jazz 2

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Jul 3, 2007, 07:07 AM
Idea: Machinima of Jazz 2

A friend of mine had a nice idea to make Jazz2 more known outside the community: Machinima made in Jazz2. The Machinima series "Red vs Blue", made in Halo, gave the game a great boost and maybe we can do something like that with Jazz 2 too. If we can try to publish some on popular websites and hope they'll try Jazz (again). This way we may get the game much more active again. We got all the sprites, so we may be able to make something very nice, we could combine sprites to make new ones. With enough cooperation we can pull a lot of fun out of this too. We can even use sprites that have never been used before, like TWEEDLE

I hope you like the idea, I did.

Oh, and before I forget to mention: maybe Xfire will add us then.

JCF Member

Dermo should make better posts

Jul 3, 2007, 07:09 AM
I would love to do this, Jerry but wouldn't this be more of a clan video type thing? Red vs Blue from Halo is hilarious, I will give them that. But if we could get all active RR members in a server and get everybody to cooperate, we could do something very similar.

Do you like Stijn? Take my poll!

Windows is not a virus. A virus is small and efficient...

Note to Stijn: how am i even getting away with this
sonicnathan 1

JCF Member

sonicnathan 1 is doing well so far

Jul 3, 2007, 10:29 AM
After reading what this is about I think this is a great idea! If this works imagine how many new people would find out about Jazz? Ya. This may bring Jazz back.
Episode 4: Probably never

<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=4882"> Deckstar V3</a>
<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=5408">Colonial Fix</a>
Jazz 1 Fanolint: 98%

<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=5407">Finished secret levels</a>

JCF Member

Grytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legend

Jul 3, 2007, 10:40 AM
Let's not forget that it isn't gone

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Jul 3, 2007, 11:17 AM
Yeah, I agree with Gry. Today we've been brainstorming a bit and there are a lot of funny things we could use. I think I'll just make a list and then post it here. But I'm sure it would help a lot if there is someone around here who can modify the stuff a bit (so we could put in things from other games, for example) and of course it would be awesome if there would be some people that can do the talking (we need people with good English for that ;p) but we could always fall back on chat lines, if needed. If you got any ideas, just collect them and then post a list some time, so we can put them all together in one list at once.

JCF Member

kangaroo is doing well so far

Jul 3, 2007, 11:33 AM
It doesn't matter how many "new" people find out about jazz considering how hard the game is to find. They'll ask where to get the game and all you can do is give them some obscure online shopping site. That won't encourage anyone at all. The only way to make jazz more popular is to get rid of this anti-piracy stance and just spread the free download links to everyone.

JCF Member

Jul 3, 2007, 11:38 AM
Well, on public boards I never give anyone the link but on MSN, in TSF and 1.20 servers and in real life I'm spreading the links too ;p You are right, it's a little bit pointless to tell people they shouldn't pirate since the full version game is nowhere to be found (most of these online shopping sites offer the OEM versions instead of the registered version). I doubt if that's legal too.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Jul 3, 2007, 11:41 AM
The official stance of this site is not to allow links to illegal downloads, but what you do in person-to-person communication and on other sites is of course entirely your choice.

JCF Member

Jul 3, 2007, 11:58 AM
And that's exactly why I don't post links on forums

hehe I got a nice idea: how about putting THE MAN in it: Borat ;p "Omg! What is this? It's like a 2D game! That's niiiiiiiiice! Wow! Bunnies! Maybe my sister is in here too!" ... etcetc ;p

JCF Member

Jul 3, 2007, 12:04 PM
To be perfectly honest, I made my dad download Jazz Jackrabbit 2 1.00g off a newsgroup when he saw it. After playing it, I fell in love. So about 4 years ago, I saw a copy in stores, and begged, and pleaded for it, and my mom bought me a copy of 1.21. Then I saw TSF and I bought a copy. So actually I put money in Epic's pocket even though I downloaded a pirated copy of JJ2.

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Jul 3, 2007, 01:46 PM
I have a feeling JJ2 isn't cameral enough

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Member

Jul 3, 2007, 01:58 PM
Its 2D, okay..., but still it's perfectly possible to make something nice of it.

JCF Member

ShadeJackrabbit is doing well so far

Jul 3, 2007, 02:11 PM
It sounds good to me. Give me a holler if you need help with video editing.

Stop talking sense, this is an internet argument. ~Doubble Dutch

JCF Member

Jul 3, 2007, 02:26 PM
I will ;p

Is there any programmer nearby who could make some program to control the JJ2 camera? That would help a lot.

It should be possible to
-Fix the JJ2 camera at one point
-Load a txt file with a pos on each line and jump from one pos to another when some key is pressed

This way you don't need the camera to point at one character while they move, and when the characters warp or walk or fall off the screen it's easy to move the camera to the new position.

And it would be useful if there would be any way to hide (parts of) the JJ2 HUD, but I don't know if that's possible.

JCF Member

Jul 3, 2007, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrythabest
-Load a txt file with a pos on each line and jump from one pos to another when some key is pressed
Should also have options for movement like scroll, flash in/out, that sorta stuff. OR, just scrolling and we can cut with other programs.

JCF Member

Birdie is doing well so far

Jul 3, 2007, 04:55 PM
I can program such a thing pretty fast.

JCF Member

Jul 3, 2007, 04:58 PM
Three cheers for Birdie! (Once its done.) Please do so. Then we can get this thing started!

JCF Member

Jul 3, 2007, 05:01 PM
One thing is though, with all the sprites, and resources to do this without even running jj2, why even use jj2 to do this? ;d

JCF Member

Jul 3, 2007, 05:31 PM
Ease of use for mass amounts of sprites.

sonicnathan 1

JCF Member

Jul 3, 2007, 06:06 PM
Man. I wish I could help. Probubly the only thing I could do is come up with ideas.

<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=4882"> Deckstar V3</a>
<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=5408">Colonial Fix</a>

<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=5407">Finished secret levels</a>

JCF Member

Jul 4, 2007, 06:25 AM
Well if we want to make a Machinima of normal length we'll need ideas...

It's best if we do most in Jazz2 as that's the easiest way. Just need to be able to control the camera. We can do effects like fading in external applications.

JCF Member

Jul 4, 2007, 07:19 AM
Cool and awesome. I'm available, should you need any assistance, birdie<3

JCF Member

Jul 4, 2007, 11:25 AM
First of all how long are these Machinimas going to be?

JCF Member

Jul 4, 2007, 08:19 PM
If you need a weird effect in a level than let me know. I could probably duplicate it pretty well. Like maybe have it played out so after talking for 40 seconds, a set of 30 bouncers falls from the sky or something like that i could do. So if you want some kind of weird effects that you believe are hard, then let me know. Also remember all of our resources we have here. Sprite Dynamite would be good if we wanted facial expressions and stuff to change on cue or whatever. Like if we want Jazz's eyes poping out of his head, make that the shoot animation, so when you press the fire button, his eye's come out of his head. Another good resources is the artists that we have in the Art Forum. We also have some other weird memory hacks and stuff like dynamic level editing via packets so when a player gets warped by an enemy's powers, you can have the player get warped. Or if there's an enemy ghost, use trigger zones so it could go trigger some scenery walls and stuff while on the other guy's screen (the guy who's recording it), it shows the ghost going through walls. Just remember what all we can do and we need to hit every resource we can.

Also TeamSpeak or whatever it's called that program where you join a chat server via a microphone would really help speed things up rather than trying to type them out on a chatroom or something.

JCF Member

Jul 4, 2007, 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicNathan 1 View Post
First of all how long are these Machinimas going to be?
I'd say 5-10 minutes each...

@drmoo: We have a lot of resources we can use, indeed. I'll remember to contact you if we need some weird effect Sadly, my soundcard doesn't like microphones so I wouldn't be able to make use of that, but I'm a fast typer so I don't think it'll be that much of a problem

Birdie is already working on the camera control program and in a few minutes I go to the friend mentioned in post #1 to make up some nice scenes...

JCF Member

Jul 5, 2007, 06:35 AM
Yay for Birdie :D

JCF Member

Jul 5, 2007, 06:47 AM
WOOT! Go birdie!

Jerry: i'm a pretty fast typer too. Why not get a new sound card? I have about a dozen unused sound cards. If you lived here in the US I would send you one. Just pull an old computer out of the trash on your next trash day and steal the sound card out of it or something. I would love to be a part of this like be put on the red team or whatever.

ShadeJackrabbit ShadeJackrabbit's Avatar

JCF Member

Jul 6, 2007, 03:23 AM
It's not just gonna be another Red vs Blue takeoff is it?

JCF Member

Jul 6, 2007, 05:00 AM
No, it's gonna be made up all by ourselves. If there is anything somehow similar to RvsB then that's just coincidence

JCF Member

Jul 6, 2007, 10:02 AM
Oh good. I was getting worried.

JCF Member

Jul 6, 2007, 10:09 AM
Are we going to sell DVD copies or something like Red vs Blue does? Cuz i think we should split the profit. 90% to drmoo 10% to everyone else to split up.

JCF Member

FreeFull is doing well so far

Jul 6, 2007, 12:03 PM
50% to Birdie, 15% for Drmoo if he does something and 35% to split up for the rest.

JCF Member

Jul 6, 2007, 12:54 PM
50% for me and my friend (without us there would be no machinima anwyay), 30% for Birdie (without him things would be harder) and 20% to split up for the rest who did something

JCF Member

Jul 6, 2007, 01:00 PM
100% to me because I'm awesome

JCF Member

Jul 6, 2007, 01:07 PM
god i shouldn't have said that it changed the whole direction of this thread.

JCF Member

Jul 6, 2007, 01:23 PM
We'll just keep it Freeware Fun For Everyone for now

JCF Member

FreeFull is doing well so far

Jul 6, 2007, 01:55 PM
But we will prepare commercial plans, of course.

JCF Member

Jul 6, 2007, 02:22 PM
we're not planning to honestly sell this though are we?

In America we have a channel called G4 TV for Gamers. When we get started on this then i'll send them an email asking to air our videos. They'll probably do it and this will boost popularity quite a bit. Just say the word and i'll send them an email mentioning this and asking if they'll do it.

ShadeJackrabbit ShadeJackrabbit's Avatar

JCF Member

Jul 6, 2007, 02:37 PM
The word.

JCF Member

Jul 6, 2007, 02:47 PM
Well I was thinking maybe more of when we get an episode done so I can send it to them as a sample or whatever. It has to be funny and good though. So don't quote anything out of the comedy cafe cuz it has to be funny.