Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

about lori

Hyugoman

JCF Member

Hyugoman is doing well so far

Jun 16, 2005, 02:49 AM
about lori

i've owned this game for many years, but i've only recently visited the website.
so.. how does lori play, and can i get her in the game without looking for the addons?

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Jun 16, 2005, 02:55 AM
Hmm.

When you try to play with Lori, things get harder. Mainly because she's devoid of a high jump (although the Golden Jump does the trick). She's got a sidekick manouever like Spaz, although hers is far more controllable and thus better. Also switching of her colors is glitched.

And no, you cannot play with her without 1.24.
Hyugoman

JCF Member

Hyugoman is doing well so far

Jun 16, 2005, 02:56 AM
can you download this 1.24?

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Jun 16, 2005, 02:59 AM
No.
JelZe GoldRabbit

JCF Member

JelZe GoldRabbit is doing well so far

Jun 16, 2005, 03:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyugoman
can you download this 1.24?
Not legally. JJ2 version 1.24, otherwise known as "The Secret Files" or TSF is a standalone game, not just an add-on.

- JelZe GoldRabbit =:3

JCF Member

MSB3000 is doing well so far

Jun 16, 2005, 08:19 AM
uhh...

i downloaded TSF

is that bad?
i don't know if it's a demo or not, or even if there is a demo.
if so, what's in the full version?

JCF Member

Sonyk is doing well so far

Jun 16, 2005, 08:44 AM
Ninie TSF only single player levels, JCS with improved tileset size and level size capabilities, and of course it wouldn't be 1.24s, and it would also contain the HCL "episode."

JCF Member

MSB3000 is doing well so far

Jun 16, 2005, 08:58 AM
all right, what's HCL and 1.24s?

JCF Member

Jun 16, 2005, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSB3000
all right, what's HCL and 1.24s?
HCL = "Home Cooked Levels", a list with the User Created levels which you downloaded.
1.24s = That's the Shareware Demo of the game. Look in the lower left corner of the main menu to see what version you have. If the number doesn't have an "s", it's the full version.

In a nutshell, The full TSF contains nine Single Player levels, 4 Capture The Flag levels, 3 Battle and Treasure Hunt levels, 4 Race levels (well, it should, but the first 3 are missing), three characters (Jazz, Spaz and Lori), and the best User Levels at the time.

Downloading any of the full JJ2 games is still illegal as they're not freeware and probably never will be.

JCF Member

Puffie40 is doing well so far

Jun 16, 2005, 10:22 AM
Lori was created by the jj2 animatior, Dean Doodrill. He had ment it to be Eva's sister/cousin (So she could be spaz's girlfreind, as it was supposed to be the yellow rabbit spaz sees in the end of 1.23) , but the game publishers put her as jazz's sister.

TSF also was origionally going to be released worldwide, but I think it wound up only being released in and around Poland, making the game a bit rare.

Some interesting notes about 1.24 is it has larger tileset support (4096 tiles instead of 1.23's 1024), will play 1.23 levels and had it's own version of Holiday hare (Also called Christmas Chronicles; I'm not sure if it is any different other that having the extra charactor)

TSF can be found on some abandonware rings, but finding it is up to you

JCF Member

Sonyk is doing well so far

Jun 16, 2005, 10:34 AM
CC'99 also had a different menu theme and the menus themselves were a different style. And, unlike HH'98, it contained a JCS.
JelZe GoldRabbit

JCF Member

Jun 16, 2005, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyk
CC'99 also had a different menu theme and the menus themselves were a different style. And, unlike HH'98, it contained a JCS.
It just has a different menu style and title screen, the music's the same. I'd say HH98 has the same one

JCF Veteran

Tubz is doing well so far

Jun 16, 2005, 02:21 PM
1.24 contains episodes 1-4 from 1.23, Shareware 1.23 episode, plus the 1.24 appropriately dubbed: "The Secret Files"

"Jewel is the Metallica of Yodelling." ~Edwin McCain
"Yes, it's a personal attack if you save my picture about internet safety" ~Labratkid
"You know what JBL? The only reason you were WWE Champion for a year was because Triple H didn't want to work Tuesdays!" ~Paul Heyman, addressing the public at the "ECW: One Night Stand" PPV on Sunday, June 12, 2005
n00b

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

Jun 16, 2005, 02:45 PM
The rerelease did not include episodes 1-4 of Jazz 2 I believe, I will need to cross check that.
CAINE

JCF Member

CAINE is doing well so far

Jun 16, 2005, 03:00 PM
I ordered TSF from england when it first came out. I think the game sucked myself, but mostly because you couldnt play on the other servers that had the normal version, so I ended up uninstalling it.

JCF Veteran

Jun 16, 2005, 04:36 PM
Hmm, well....my version that I downloaded had all those episodes...

"Yes, it's a personal attack if you save my picture about internet safety" ~Labratkid
"You know what JBL? The only reason you were WWE Champion for a year was because Triple H didn't want to work Tuesdays!" ~Paul Heyman, addressing the public at the "ECW: One Night Stand" PPV on Sunday, June 12, 2005

JCF Member

Haze is doing well so far

Jun 17, 2005, 12:48 AM
TSF had several releases over time. In chronological order (I hope):
- original Project 2 release (black interior, includes JJ2)
- Polish Avalon release (... polish, duh!)
- Project 2 rerelease (cardboard frame interior, includes JJ2)
- German Hemming rerelease (cd-case)
- NCI Dotcom rerelease (cardboard box, includes JJ2)

From the top of my head those are all the official releases of TSF. You can find several up for sale from time to time on eBay, mostly the German Hemming release or the NCI Dotcom rerelease.

JCF Member

Jun 17, 2005, 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubz
Hmm, well....my version that I downloaded had all those episodes...
That's because both the regular game and TSF are merged into one game in your case. Well, not exactly, the TSF just uses its own exe file (which has overwritten the regular JJ2 one), but it can detect any episode and levels made with any lower version.

In the first releases TSF and and the regular JJ2 came on two seperate disks, and each has its own exe file, which means they're two seperate games. Some of later rereleases (like the Polish one) had the entire package merged onto one disk.

JCF Veteran

Jun 17, 2005, 07:46 AM
The guy should have also made it so that TSF players can join 1.23 servers...

ShadeJackrabbit ShadeJackrabbit's Avatar

JCF Member

ShadeJackrabbit is doing well so far

Jun 17, 2005, 01:31 PM
TSF was a rush job and is not very good. They couldn't even think of new moves! Like side shoot! (Lori takes out a second gun and shoots two ways at once.) By the way, did you know that if you got 100 gems, you supposidly go to the secret level of a stage? It doesn't work. And it says that in the manual, (for 1.23, I have it.)

Stop talking sense, this is an internet argument. ~Doubble Dutch

JCF Veteran

Jun 17, 2005, 01:51 PM
1.23 was a rush job because of the amount of bugs in it.

JelZe GoldRabbit

JCF Member

Jun 18, 2005, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAPPER
TSF was a rush job and is not very good. They couldn't even think of new moves! Like side shoot! (Lori takes out a second gun and shoots two ways at once.) By the way, did you know that if you got 100 gems, you supposidly go to the secret level of a stage? It doesn't work. And it says that in the manual, (for 1.23, I have it.)
Jazz Jackrabbit 2 in general was a rush job, because a lot of features were planned but the budgeted time only let the developers do so much. That would explain a lot of the big bugs and glitches.

And about the gems... it would be more accurate to say they can give you bonus stages, done in 3D like the JJ1 ones. Also a feature that didn't make it into the game due to the shortage of time. Only one (entrance to a) secret level made it: Gargoyle's Lair.

JCF Veteran

Jun 18, 2005, 06:54 AM
It's rather unclear on what the gems were supposed to do, seeing as Rabbit In Training says that you get an extra life for 100.

By the way:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit
Also a feature that didn't make it into the game due to the shortage of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2W
10.04am It's Official! There will be NO BONUS STAGE in Jazz 2!

Craig Lafferty, who works in Epic's PR/Marketing department posted this message:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Lafferty
Hello all,

This is Craig Lafferty from Epics PR/Marketing department. I just wanted to drop in with a bit of news for all the die-hard Jazz fans here. I just received word from the Jazz 2 team that the 3D bonus stage will not make it into Jazz 2.

Why? Simple. The Hi-res (640x480) and Multiplayer aspects of Jazz 2 are looking SO GOOD (trust me, I have been playing multiplayer Jazz 2 and it rulez) that the team has decided to concentrate their efforts on making those aspects the best they can be, and still release the game sometime this spring/summer. Once you have played one of the many Jazz 2 multiplayer modes you won't even notice the lack of a 3D stage!

Craig/Epic PR
I sort of got the impression from the past interviews that I had done, that the Jazz 2 team were reluctant to talk about the bonus stages. I guess this confirms why Well, with the bonus stage issue solved, this only leaves the Ultimate Weapon debate still undecided......

But, with being an official Jazz 2 beta tester, I can confirm that the multiplayer games rule!
JelZe GoldRabbit

JCF Member

Jun 18, 2005, 09:21 AM
Yeah right

That would be turning bad news into good news. So they just traded those bonus stages for Multiplayer *snaps fingers* like that? Unbelievable. I say they were just being lazy

Iam Canadian

JCF Member

Iam Canadian is doing well so far

Jun 18, 2005, 10:40 AM
I'm sure if they'd had enough time, we'd have gotten both 3D bonus stages and multiplayer. Looking at some old "planned features" lists on the J2C archives, it's obvious JJ2 was rushed to the extreme. I mean, we were originally supposed to get fifteen bosses.

JCF Veteran

Jun 18, 2005, 10:44 AM
Oh, anyone noticed that J2C is down again?
NinJazz

JCF Member

NinJazz is doing well so far

Jun 21, 2005, 09:23 PM
NO.

TSF CAN be downloaden legally!
I did so.
Hyugo if you want, I may be able send you TSF in MSN or AIM or something if sending it IS legal

JCF Member

Xobim is doing well so far

Jun 22, 2005, 01:46 AM
Tp2001 uploaded his levels in a ZIP to J2O once, that ZIP contained a page with a link to dowload TSF.

I doubt the legalness of it. So see for yourself, Hyugoman.....

JCF Member

Jun 22, 2005, 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjajazz
NO.

TSF CAN be downloaden legally!
I did so.
I hate to burst your bubble, but if it's the full version you downloaded I'm afraid you've performed an illegal action. All full Jazz Jackrabbit games haven't been declared freeware yet, and never will be if we know Epic Games by heart, so it's still illegal to download any of the full games (downloading demos is still fine tho). Just because a game is old doesn't mean it's free, a company could still hold the right to sell it, look at what Nintendo and Sega are doing with their Mario and Sonic games. This applies to all games in general.

ThunderPX

JCF Member

ThunderPX is doing well so far

Jun 22, 2005, 07:13 AM
So, apart from 3D Bonus Stages, lotsa bosses, enemies, items and levels, what else didn't make it into the game?

JCF Veteran

Jun 22, 2005, 08:29 AM
  • The ability to scorch enemies with Fire Shield upon touch.
  • Various tilesets and different tileset palettes/tiles.
  • 32 bit color.
  • Ability to eat your enemies with your tongue while a frog.
And that's all I reckon at the moment... I don't feel like going back to J2W and carefully checking screenshots/newsposts/interviews/etc.

Last edited by cooba; Jun 22, 2005 at 08:57 AM.

JCF Member

Puffie40 is doing well so far

Jun 22, 2005, 09:01 AM
^ Adding a couple more:
•the ability to grab, hang on and climb up on ledges.
•to shoot as a bird

Also, has anyone got into the birdland located in the lab world? The level is there (Labrat 3) But I can seem to find the seceret warp there.

I noticed what they say about 3d realms and ID software is that they work on a game until it's perfect, then worry about release dates, instead of rushing the job to meet christmas shoppers, for example (atari tried to do that with a ET game in the late 80's, but it was so rushed, no creativity was added, and no one would buy it. And they Mass-produced the suckers!)
JelZe GoldRabbit

JCF Member

Jun 22, 2005, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffie40
Also, has anyone got into the birdland located in the lab world? The level is there (Labrat 3) But I can seem to find the seceret warp there
You can't enter the Birdland, the only entrance to a secret level that was finished was the one in Medieval Kineval to Gargoyle's Lair. There's also one in Voltage Village near the end, but it's entirely sealed off. All of the other secret levels would have been useless at this point anyway. Return to Birdland can't really work gameplay-wise because the bird can't shoot. There's also a Psych secret level, but it's unfinished (it was finished by someone else a couple of years back, try searching the J2O database for "Retro Wasteland"). The Diamondus secret level is nothing more than a night version of the first level, and the Tubelectric one isn't even started on! You can open all of them in JCS for a quick peek.