Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Jazz GBA Reviews

Iam Canadian

JCF Member

Iam Canadian is doing well so far

Jan 14, 2003, 05:06 PM
Jazz GBA Reviews

Yes, I was bored enough to write....Iam Canadian's Jazz GBA Review!!! *Cheers and huzzahs* Now, straight from my .txt file to your screen...

JAZZ JACKRABBIT GBA REVIEW BY:
Iam Canadian

SUMMARY: Well, here it is. All you naysayers and pessimists were wrong. A new Jazz game has been released. On a console. And it ain't half bad. But how does it stack up in the series? Well, let's find out.

GRAPHICS: They aren't bad, really, taking into account this is a Gameboy. They're pretty sharp and the brightness control was a great option. The backgrounds are clear and look good, and the enemies are very well animated. You just have to see the turtle stormtroopers grab themselves and watch their eyes bug out when they die to get the full effect. However, Jazz's sprite looks pretty bad. With practically no facial expressions or personality to speak of, he's lifeless compared to the rest of the cast. But the really good graphics appear in the cutscenes. They're very well drawn and crystal clear. And having Dark Shell appear on the Game Over screen after he reveals himself was a nice touch. GRAPHICS SCORE: 8/10

STORY: Compared to Jazz's previous outings, this game offers more plot than its predcessors. With the vibrant cutscenes which can be surprisingly long at times, the story is conveyed well. The characters are invested with actual personalities, with Jazz retaining his personality from Jazz 1 and Dark Shell being hopelessly incompetent, they're portrayed well. The little touches where Jazz interacts with his foes during levels were interesting as well. STORY SCORE: 7/10

SOUND AND AUDIO: This is probabaly the most dissapointing aspect of the game (aside from the major changes in Jazz, but let's not get into that). The sound is okay, with cute touches like the enemies screaming when you kill them, but most of it is generic and does the job, but breaks no new ground. The music was rather dull, and there were no memorable tunes to speak of. Heck, they even cut out the classic Jazz menu theme! SOUND SCORE: 6/10

PLAY CONTROL: Jazz is responsive and the controls are well done. You can customize controls using 6 different control modes which is nice. Jazz can shoot diagonally now, which makes him less helpless. And boy, with the AI in this game, Jazz is going to need all he's got! CONTROL SCORE: 9/10

GAMEPLAY: Now we get to the most important part of the game. A game with zero good gameplay is just an overglorified movie. Jazz is known for its gameplay and the game delivers---to a point. Jazz gets armed with several brand new guns which are fairly cliched shooter weapons (the typical blaster, the machine gun, the rocket launcher etc.). The levels in this game often involve more searching for switches and targets to open doors than just running through, blasting everything in sight. But Jazz is at heart, an action game, and this game's got action! The enemies have very good AI. If you duck under an enemy's shot, the enemy will quickly realize this and shoot lower. However, the enemies have little variety. Chameleons inhabit Chameleon World, Saurions (big dinosaur guys) are the only enemies in Carrotopolis, the Storm Trooper turtles live on Icebox3, mecha turtles are on Pollutus, and little raptor guys along with more Storm Troopers appear on the castle planet (its name escapes me at the moment...) and that's pretty much it.. And another problem arises: the game is too darn short! If you try, you can breeze through it in a few hours. Although much of the fighting in the game is basically ducking and shooting foes, the bosses are refreshing, for it takes strategy to defeat most of them. For example, to defeat the first boss, the king chameleon, you must shoot him to make him charge at you, then jump over him, causing him to crash into a wall. Also, the game adds some realism with the bigger guns (eg: the rocket launcher and the Big Gun) inhibiting Jazz's movement. If the game were longer, gameplay would get perhaps a nine. GAMEPLAY SCORE: 8/10

FINAL OUTCOME: This game is quite good, and is worthy to the title Jazz Jackrabbit. But a few changes here and there, it could be improved drastically. FINAL SCORE: (Not an average) 7.5/10

To help avoid too many topics, I decided to make this topic a general topic for Jazz GBA reviews. Don't worry, they don't have to be as long as mine.

JCF Member

4I Falcon has disabled reputation

Jan 14, 2003, 05:25 PM
This topic has slightly raised my chances of buying JJ:GBA. Of course, I won't until I get the GBA first... ;_;

RABID CRAZINESS FOLLOWS.

"I like driving an automatic, because I can do this." *revs engine* "You like driving a manual?" "What did I say?" "Automatic." "I like my... automatic, uh, arm... it changes the shift-gear on my, uh, manual." - 4IF vs Ken

WT (un)masterpieces:
Enter: Jack Flash
System of Turbulence
Profile count: disabled.

Galbadia Hotel: your one-stop shop for all your VG music needs!
Charge

Jan 17, 2003, 08:47 AM
Thx for the review.
Batty Buddy

JCF Member

Batty Buddy is doing well so far

Jan 22, 2003, 09:54 PM
Sorry for reviving this topic.

Que Passa!!!!

Like the subject says, sorry for reviving this topic, however, I just got, played, and beat the game today(It was on sale for only $9.99- a bargin even for a real lousy game, so I figured what have I got to lose?), and I wanted to give my own review:

Graphics: 8/10 (Pretty good) I subtracted a couple of points because 1) I still think they just took Koopa Troopa's heads and put them on storm trooper bodies, and 2) I actually thought the artwork in some of the cutscreens stunk(Also some of the characters look more like MICE then rabbits.). Other then that, it's ok- not really going to light any fires, but at least you can tell what is what.

Gameplay: 5/10 (Average) I found a lot of the guns to be compleatly useless, and Jazz's crazy airial momentum made it near impossible to manuver in tight areas. Also Jazz is nowhere near as fast as he was in Jazz 1 and 2... Guess those pants are chaiffing him a little too much.
All and all, the gameplay kind of reminded me of back when I just plopped Shareware titles into my computer and played all day, so I give it some credit.

Story: 7/10 (Decent) I liked a lot of the jokes, especially the comments Jazz made dissing the whole "Collect all the ______'s" theme that seems to have blossomed into 3D games. Also, some of the 4th wall jokes were worth a chuckel. However, it lost points because it throws us into the middle of a BIGGER story and expects us to know what's going on- NO backstory, NO history, and NO mention on who all these new characters are.
That and they made Spaz lazy- The one character who could be described as anything but lazy, and they make him a chubby deadbeat.

Music/sound: 4/10 (Kind of lame) It got annoying a lot of the time, but then that's what volume control is all about.

All around (Not an average) 6.5/10- Definatly good to kill half an hour... Now, if only Eva were to come in and bean Zoe on the noggin, it would have been perfect...

"I must be the personification of the rage to live,
hit me, dunk me, insult me, I'll still hang in there...

...I wonder why..."
-Howard the Duck
Proud to be the 100th, 600th, 666th, and 1000th poster in the "Slime the Poster above you" thread...
Even though I had to cheat... Thank you, The Cheat.
(RIP William Hanna)
"I claim Page 4 in the name of my sexy female self."
-Radium.