Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Fiddling with PLANET.0xx files

Doubble Dutch

JCF Member

Doubble Dutch is doing well so far

Apr 23, 2005, 08:54 PM
Fiddling with PLANET.0xx files

Here is the structure of the PLANET files in Jazz 1 as near as I can figure; it only applies to some of the planets though; for example, both Nippious and Lagunicus look identical, but use different formats. [They're simalar though, the one I figured out appears to be an earlier format.]

Hex 002: Amount of space to allocate to the name in the loading screen; too short and the name is cut off, too long and the name looks lopsided.

Hex 003: Name of the planet, used for the loading ** level x and Now approaching screen. No longer than 11 chars apparently.

There then follows some gibberish setting the background colour of the text, the planets shade and transparency. [Can't figure it out.]

This code ends at about hex 30B, followed by the planet with every digit standing for a pixel of color.

The planet files can be editied as follows:

Use a hex editor rather than a text based one, as text editors seem to ruin the format. First you can easily rename a planet, insert text to increase the name, delete text to shorten it. Use capitals and neat writing. The value at hex 002 must be larger or equal to the name length unless,

Editing the planets shade. While I have only a vauge idea of how the code works, it relies on absolute values, so if you add blank space [or preferably $00 ] to the end of the name and make the name length variable exclude it, this shifts all the values and will alter the color of the background stars, the planets shade, and some minor alterations to the text. This is a good quick edit, but only allows three shade changes, [usually] blue, purple and yellow/brown. Nippius is the blue analouge of Holidaius for example.

[adding two bits to in excess of new medivo name, note bluish text.]

[This can be done to all planet files, not just the ones with this format, although it often screws up when applied to the other format.]

For a more random appearance, you can switch the entire planet image from file to file, as this will switch the palette used rather than the shade. This can only be done to planet files using the aforementioned format; these are [followed by the hex location where the planet image starts.] are:

Planet.001: $30E; .002: $309; .012: $30C; .015: $30A; .017: $30E .018 TO .023: $30B; .031: $30D; .032: $30B; .033: $30C; .034: $309; .035: $30B; .036: $30C; .037: $30A; .038: $30C; .039 to .041:: $30B; Holiday hare planets: $30C

Note that renaming a planet will alter this value if you add or delete text. You can also directly edit the planet image pixel by pixel [but this takes some effort] or do a half and half mix of several planets. This is a redo of Pezrock using the Marbelara palette, and minimal pixel editing.

Once the format of the tiles becomes editable, I imagine that this will allow some impressive levels. Here are a few sample planets I whipped up: http://www.freewebs.com/gannalev/PLANET.zip

nonne amicus certus in re incerta cernitur?

/)_/)
(^.^)
((")(")

Last edited by Doubble Dutch; Apr 24, 2005 at 02:17 AM.
Strato

JCF Member

Strato is doing well so far

Apr 24, 2005, 09:46 AM
Shouldn't Saffron be purple?

JCF Member

White Rabbit is doing well so far

Apr 24, 2005, 10:41 AM
But DD changed the colours. This is helpful, I think, but only for those interested in making JJ1 lvls/episodes.
PhAyzoN

JCF Member

PhAyzoN is doing well so far

Apr 24, 2005, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strato
Orangish
Goodbye all! Ill occasionally drop by here, rarely find a server to join. For those interested, DL my lvls n stuff off J2O (dont remember how many, it wasnt alot). email/MSN me for my unreleased crap that im willing to give up.
Strato

JCF Member

Strato is doing well so far

Apr 24, 2005, 05:43 PM
http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katz...es/croc_11.jpg

Saffron flower. Point and game.
Doubble Dutch

JCF Member

Doubble Dutch is doing well so far

Apr 24, 2005, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Yes, it should be orange. However, I am color dyslexic and thought it was so I called it that. Besides I like the name Saffron.

Saffron saffron saffron.

nonne amicus certus in re incerta cernitur?

/)_/)
(^.^)
((")(")