Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Maintenance & Feedback » Site and Forum Rules, Questions & Feedback

This spambot issue has become really out of hand.

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Apr 16, 2011, 04:46 AM
Exclamation This spambot issue has become really out of hand.

I hate to say this, but you guys might as well disable registering for this forum until this issue is fixed. I've got like two spambot mails, and several spambot posts over the forum have been appearing over the months. I'm certain you mods/admins are aware of this issue and are probably sick of deleting those kind of posts already, but it seems like nothing is actually being done to prevent it. I think this has been happening over several forums with a similar anti-spambot system (forgot what it was called) that seems to have become exploited though. I bet there have been more spambots registering here than real people over this time...

JCF Member

Jgke is an asset to this forumJgke is an asset to this forum

Apr 16, 2011, 04:48 AM
Unfortunatively, even systems like captchas might not work for this... There might someone typing those for the bots which use them to log in to the system.

JCF Member

Obi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHART

Apr 16, 2011, 04:49 AM
I agree wholeheartedly. Surely there's some sort of system that could be implemented to help the situation. I don't quite know wether disabling registrations is the best option, however.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Apr 16, 2011, 05:05 AM
If you're getting e-mails from spambots, there's little we can do to prevent that, except recommending you not to publish your e-mail address online.

As for registrations, that's a problem and at this point the only semi-viable solution would be to have everyone who wants to register send me or another admin a message, as we'd disable the registration form. I say "semi-viable" because it's very cumbersome for both the admins (who are all kind of busy with other things, at least I very much am lately) and the users.

As an aside, "surely something can be done about this" is easy to say but it is in fact not that simple to come up with a solution that blocks spambots while not hindering actual users.

JCF Member

Apr 16, 2011, 05:09 AM
One thing that could be done would be adding an anti-spambot moderator army, but that wouldn't really remove the problem

JCF Member

Sean is a forum legendSean is a forum legend

Apr 16, 2011, 05:12 AM
I think you should get someone to write a bot to monitor newly registered users for an extraordinary amount of PMs sent soon after registering. Also keep a bot out to look for key terms such as cybers--, p-rn, f--k, pe--s enlargement, and other s-x relate terms. Have them flagged then checked by admins.

JCF Member

WhiteBlaster has disabled reputation

Apr 16, 2011, 10:37 AM
I agree with Sean. Also add di-k, I got a PM from a spambot with that. Tip: to control spam on PMs, monitor PMs sent to many (5?) people. It may work.

There is a flame untamed
Deep in my heart
Unyielding, pure Ain Soph
'tis measureless
Our right divine:

Aspire to all horizons
To seek nature ov things
Retreat within yourself
To find the primal breath

Behemoth - Transmigrating Beyond Realms ov Amenti

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Apr 16, 2011, 11:37 AM
Please don't censor yourselves, it makes your messages hard to read.

Administrator

Apr 16, 2011, 11:52 AM
Okay, so there's a few issues here that make this problem harder to tackle than simply using your suggestions of "just make a script that fixes it":
  1. JCF runs on vBulletin, which is a product not made by the JCF staff, and hence is a lot harder to write any antispam script for than for Jazz2Online itself, which was completely coded by the J2O staff - not to mention that writing an actually effective antispam script is not all that easy.
  2. We don't really have a lot of time.
  3. Right now new registrations have to be approved manually before they can post on the forums. This fixes the problem of spambots on the forum themselves (as in, posting in threads and the like) but because of item 2 on this list, there is an absolutely gigantic backlog of users to be approved and genuine new users are caught in this backlog as well.
  4. An alternative would be having new users PM an admin so they can then approve the user, so not all new users have to be checked manually. This would require us to allow unapproved users to send PMs (they are allowed to do so at the moment). That is however also the reason you're getting spam PMs in the first place. So there's no really easy solution out of this situation, except for writing a custom script, but see point 1 and 2 for why that's problematic as well.

There might be a vBulleting plugin that can help but this, but well... 2

JCF Member

Apr 16, 2011, 12:01 PM
#2 is not effective on me, and I hate the spam!

Administrator

Apr 16, 2011, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
#2 is not effective on me, and I hate the spam!
I'd be more than willing to take on the problem if you in turn take my university coursework on you

JCF Member

Apr 16, 2011, 08:12 PM
I could do them, but you should expect failing in all things

JCF Member

CrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legend

Apr 24, 2011, 01:54 AM
This is maybe a bit of a shot in the dark, but spambots usually don't know simple things like "What is the first battle level?" or "What is the filename of the .exe for running the game Jazz Jackrabbit?" Maybe such a question could be added before you can register, just like on the D3 website for commenting on news posts.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Apr 24, 2011, 02:28 AM
Seconding Crimi, that's a heaps better solution than any captcha.

JCF Member

Apr 24, 2011, 03:12 AM
That would also keep unwanted people out of here
So, we need to think good questions!

JCF Member

Obi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHART

Apr 24, 2011, 03:23 AM
Before we think of questions, though, is this reasonably easy to incorporate?

Administrator

Apr 24, 2011, 03:49 AM
It's a way better suggestion than "just make a script", at least

I'm at my parents' place at the moment, will see whether that's possible to implement when I get back home.

JCF Member

Apr 24, 2011, 04:55 AM
Mommy's boy You should definitely implement that, Stijn. Possibly also with the captcha.

Administrator

Apr 30, 2011, 02:35 PM
I've added a verification question (instead of a CAPTCHA) which should be easy to answer for people who know about the Jazz Jackrabbit series, let's see if it works...

JCF Member

TechnoPauluz is doing well so far

May 4, 2011, 10:46 AM
Great work Ill gonna test it.

For now here's an ad:

ARE U AFFRAID THAT RABBADS EAT UR GINGER BREAD?
GET FIREFOX 4.0 + ADBLOCK PLUS PLUGIN NOW AND GOOGLE WILL CRY!

EDIT:
It worked flawless, the anwser system! Every Jazz fan knows the red rabbit of the family is Lori!

O yes, I only got 2 spam pm's because I pm'ed back that I sell better stuff for better prices

Last edited by TechnoPauluz; May 4, 2011 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Great Job :)

JCF Member

May 4, 2011, 06:58 PM
FIREFOX FTW!!!!!1111!!!11!1! Noob fail.