Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » Beyond Jazz Jackrabbit 2

An entry into a new forum, a new user's debut

n00b

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

Feb 26, 2006, 09:24 AM
Please be more detailed, I really lost you there jerry *insertuselesssmilies*

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Feb 26, 2006, 09:27 AM
[Reply to post I deleted.. get a mod around here to delete the others too.. sorry folks -Jerry]

Last edited by Jerrythabest; Feb 27, 2006 at 07:00 AM.
n00b

JCF Veteran

Feb 26, 2006, 09:29 AM
No really, I really lost you. I just felt like using your post as a templete instead of writing a new one.

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Feb 26, 2006, 09:32 AM
[Reply to post I deleted.. get a mod around here to delete the others too.. sorry folks -Jerry]

Last edited by Jerrythabest; Feb 27, 2006 at 07:01 AM.
n00b

JCF Veteran

Feb 26, 2006, 09:33 AM
That programmer crap is Baggers trying to make a fully playable game.
You sound like you dont want him to finish it

JCF Member

Feb 26, 2006, 09:35 AM

Last edited by Jerrythabest; Feb 27, 2006 at 07:01 AM.
Marijn

JCF Member

Marijn is doing well so far

Feb 26, 2006, 01:46 PM
less??? I just love al the tech stuff behind it!
Im kind of sad, seach trough the topic, but all downloads are down .
nah.. I will get better soon . Sleep well.

JCF Member

Birdie is doing well so far

Feb 26, 2006, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggers
No probs...Im currently writting a system for handling 3D sounds as the built in one is pretty crappy.

[EDIT]
Well nearly there on the 3D sound system !
I can position my listener in 3D space and put a variety of 3D sounds in the world. The real bonus of my system is the way I can now det up sounds

This terrible image is how the sounds can work.
The sound itself is the red dot with the orange line showing the direction in which the sound is facing.
We have the pink line showing where the sound starts to fade off and the dirty green lineshowing where the sound finally is inaudible...between the points the volume of the sound fades away smoothly.
The blue line shows the start of the valome fade based on the angle from the sound's direction and the green lines showing where the volume finally dissipates.

This control is going to be imensely useful in the game and has come along suprisingly quickly....Now this post is pre-test so this could all go horribly wrong yet but heres to hoping !
Good-Night !
uh, what about sounds that go 360 degrees, like...

so will sounds be able to go like this too?

JCF Member

Baggers is doing well so far

Feb 26, 2006, 08:26 PM
Hehe, sorry bout that ...found out what I have to do know though....painfully simple after all the brain-ache.
All I have to do is use two 3D vectors to describe the listener rather than just one. Then when i have an incoming sound I can angle check against both of these two vectors and then determining which side of the listener's "face" the sound is hitting is easy !
Yay !...well I'm not sure if I'll have time to implement it today...busy times...but this week it will be finished and implemented....It will mean some big aditions to the level editor but that's fine !
Oh and Jerry, the technical stuff was just for you

JCF Member

Feb 26, 2006, 08:27 PM
[EDIT]
WO! bugger didnt realise we were on a new page... I was looking at the last one !

Birdie: Yeah they were the easy bit .... that is fully implemented. And just like you drew the is a point of the sound. A inner ring where the sound starts to fade, and an outer ring by which the sound is finally inaudible.
Technicall they are the same kind of sound. just picture the 'forest green' line and the blue line together 'behind the sound. So like the pic shows...so yeah the green and blue lines overlap behind the sound emmiter and it effectively works like how you drew !
Thanks for supporting the technical banter !

Marijn: Thanks man...hey I love posting the techy stuff too...the thing is that so much of it is...which makes games hard to blog normally as i cant really show any graphical progress as the majority of the code is math and object handling routines.
But yesterday I just thought,"to hell with it" and posted...and it's been an interesting responce so I will do it more !
Yeah no downloads yet...soon though !...Im getting new hosting space and such !..its gonna be great !

-----------------------------------------------

Jerry: Now i want you to read this calmly, I'm not meaning to get at you but I would like to give my side of our relationship here.
I am trying really hard to make sure I dont over-react when I see things like "I begin to think this game is poo" or "maths crap"...I know what you are getting at and can respect your view but also when I see it I see what potentialy looks like someone slagging off what youve spent over a year of your life working on with no hope of any reward higher than (hopefully) some people playing it...no money...no publishing....'nuttin'.
So If you wouldnt mind I'd rather you spent just a few more seconds thinking about how your posts will sound...please... because if itake it to heart and dont tell you about my bug squashing....or dont tell you about the math in case I loose you...I dont really have anything to talk about.
I'd like you to have a quick peak at this.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/...d.php?i=795328
It is the source code for the sound system I'm writing...It's pretty small (only 450 lines long) and only . Just download it and open the took about 4 hours to write...Open the "BagSound.dba" file with wordpad and just have read....now please tell me, if that takes a week to write and implement full...what am I meant to talk to you about in that week.

Once again man I insist that this isnt to get at you, but I need you to understand just what people do one a daily basis to make sure you can play good games.
Peace man.

Last edited by Baggers; Feb 26, 2006 at 08:54 PM.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Feb 27, 2006, 02:36 AM
Indeed Jerry, it might be a good idea to cut your useless posts of "lol I don't understand" and "why is it taking so long". You try programming a game like this yourself. I bet it would take a lot longer than Baggers has been working on it so far. Comments like yours aren't helping anyone.
Marijn

JCF Member

Feb 27, 2006, 06:38 AM
Quote:
I am trying really hard to make sure I dont over-react when I see things like "I begin to think this game is poo" or "maths crap"...I know what you are getting at and can respect your view but also when I see it I see what potentialy looks like someone slagging off what youve spent over a year of your life working on with no hope of any reward higher than (hopefully) some people playing it...no money...no publishing....'nuttin'.
but a lot of respect .

A.. i just get a little qestion, i was busy on a little fan game, after coding the font engine, and working well.. I discoverd that i just ripped all graphics from JJ2.. How legal can this be ? I did not make them.. So do i need to make my own graphics for a LEGAL fangame ?

For Jerry:
http://129.125.101.130/~marijn/scree...ject270206.jpg

I also like to put the code, ( im proud of my class ).
Not for Jerry:
Quote:
font.DrawFont(backBuffer,new Point(0,90),"Jazz Jackrabbit",sfont,JazzJackrabbit3.Font.FontSize.Small);
font.DrawFont(backBuffer,new Point(0,105),"Baggers 3d Game rule .",sfont,JazzJackrabbit3.Font.FontSize.Small);
font.DrawFont(backBuffer,new Point(0,120),"The Quick Brown Fox Jumpes over the Lazy Dogg",sfont,JazzJackrabbit3.Font.FontSize.Small);
PS: don't take that Jerry thing to hard.. I know you can handle a little joke.

Last edited by Marijn; Feb 27, 2006 at 06:54 AM.

JCF Member

Feb 27, 2006, 06:53 AM
whoo some ppl get hating me!! sorry

*shuts up*

JCF Member

Feb 27, 2006, 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrythabest
whoo some ppl get hating me!! sorry

*shuts up*
We all do understand the graphics love... i do

JCF Member

Feb 27, 2006, 07:02 AM
*stops shutting up*

Good get a mod around here to clean it up.. I deleted my part myself already.

*shuts up again*

JCF Member

Feb 27, 2006, 07:55 AM
Don'y worry about it...we all make mistakes...dont bother with the mod thing otherwise none of the posts made by us make any sence !

JCF Member

Sonyk is doing well so far

Feb 27, 2006, 08:16 AM
Though it would make this topic a lot smaller.

Anyway, just popping up to say that so far it's looking great. I can barely contain myself while waiting another demo, or beta, or pre-alpha or whatever.
Marijn

JCF Member

Feb 27, 2006, 09:06 AM
Yeah.. Still anybody with the System check ?? I want that one but ... old server down.

JCF Member

Feb 27, 2006, 10:14 AM
*stops shutting up cuz baggie said its OK*

Yea, I want to test it on this PC, since it is a LOT better than the previous one.There should be some sort of old-versions-host where you can download things like the system check..

*makes himself useful, finally*

I have about 120 GB free space here so feel free to put it on my localhost which is accessable dayly after school time... in weekends the whole day!

*waits for someone to send them XD*

JCF Member

Feb 27, 2006, 10:32 AM
120gig...tempting.....and i may have it on disk round here...lemme check.

[EDIT]
Sorry, no such luck...I cannae find it. Nevermind...

...On the bright side is the fact that the sound system is finished ! YAY !
All that math paid off and it works wonderfully.
And for any coders of DarkBasicpro out there...it's totally free

Find it here !: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=...=72901&b=1&p=0

Anyway off to post about it on the DBP forums.
Bye !

[EDIT]

WOOO !
Yeah good news for the sound system again. Sound culling is now in place !
This means if a sound is out of range it is stopped playing so your sound slots are free.
The clever bit is the way it gets round a potential problem of culling.

Imagine you have a sound that is 30 seconds long. You are within range at the start after 5 seconds leave range...so the sound is culled... seconds later you go back into range and the sound starts again, even though in real life the sound is still playing even if you are out of range to hear it.
The culling system fixes this by keeping track of the position your sound would have been at if it were still playing and makes sure that when you re-enter range the sound is within a few hundreds of a second's accuracy to where it would have been if it were never culled.

Still got one problem though and that is the method used to grab the sound length is very slow (1:1 actualy meaning it takes the same time to grab the speed as the sound would to play...which makes for very long loading times) Once this is fixed I will update the free source code and that will be available to all too.

[EDIT once again]
*sits back smuggly and adjusts tie*
Oh yeah...it's done !
I found out (which was tricky a it wasnt in the documentation) that I could put the sound into memory and read the Dword containing the Bytes per second of a sound file....I already knew te ammount of sound data in bytes the sound contained so one quick devision later gave me the length of the sound...and it's fast !

..and it's also perfect timing as it's lunch time now !
Ah what a great day !

Last edited by Baggers; Feb 28, 2006 at 01:31 AM.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Feb 28, 2006, 03:33 AM
I have about 40GB accessible 24/7 :P

JCF Member

Feb 28, 2006, 05:15 AM
Hehe, sorry no downloads available yet...plus I'dhave to get them uploaded somehow.

Right, Important Notice.
I may not post here for the next 2-7 days as I am very carefully working on the next big jump for the entire Jazz project (no it is not a demo or anything like that) but it is a crucial piece of the project so it may keep me hostage for while.

On that note stay well people, and I will see you soon.

JCF Member

Feb 28, 2006, 07:14 AM
he left us with the big mystery: what's he doing? He could at least tell something about what it does or so XD maybe it is the saving/loading.. hmm I hope he will tell soon!
Old Feb 28, 2006, 07:40 AM
Marijn
This message has been deleted by Marijn.
Marijn

JCF Member

Feb 28, 2006, 07:47 AM
Quote:
he left us with the big mystery: what's he doing? He could at least tell something about what it does or so XD maybe it is the saving/loading.. hmm I hope he will tell soon!
good point!! Saving/loading a level is both important for the level editor and game.
And.. a week ? I would at least need 2 weeks to find a good way to save 3D levels, and .. a some years to develop it .

But.. don't let us stay in de dark, we want to know for sure:
"What are doing, men"
n00b

JCF Veteran

Feb 28, 2006, 11:53 AM
Quote:
hmm I hope he will tell soon!
2-7 days Jerry. He's going to be working on it for 2-7 days. So really, he will tell us in 2-7 days what it was.

JCF Member

Feb 28, 2006, 12:03 PM
or, after he worked, so it could be 8 days too XD let's hope he will shortly pop in soon and tell us something about it... I wonder what is so important!

JCF Veteran

Feb 28, 2006, 12:06 PM
If it's really important, then you should be able to wait a week and a day for the information.
It may take him longer if he keeps coming too and fro with updates.

JCF Member

Feb 28, 2006, 12:18 PM
true.. let's dont bother him and let him make the whole game and then in 4 years he comes back here, revives this thread and tells us what it was XD Well, im still curious but I'll try to shut up again XD

JCF Member

Feb 28, 2006, 08:17 PM
Quote:
true.. let's dont bother him and let him make the whole game and then in 4 years he comes back here, revives this thread and tells us what it was XD Well, im still curious but I'll try to shut up again XD
Yeah. I agree,
Develop silence is not possible here, with a old game as Jazz.

JCF Member

Mar 1, 2006, 08:09 AM
Heres what baggie sent me!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggers
Just been reading and I said I wouldnt post...so I wont.
But i'll let ye in on whats going on.
And that is nothing spectacular.
Up till now I have been making this project to be a fully moddable Jazz Game. Now I want to spend the next few days converting it to be a totally covertable system.
Basically Jazz3D will now be a Mod for this system...a total conversion.

This will mean the same editors and such can be used for making a huge variety of games. Hopefully its going to be great.
So I need to have these few days to get it all ready as many unexpected bugs are going to come up(and already are)....This does mean that unfortunately the system wont seem very different atall when I get back, but under the hood it's a whole new beast.

Right Ive got to get to work...I have a class to teach and after, coding to do so I'm off.

(private stuff.. im not gonna post this part)

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Mar 1, 2006, 08:31 AM
Jerry, you are the saddest person ever now. You do know that Baggers send that PM to you hoping you wouldn't post it, right?
Marijn

JCF Member

Mar 1, 2006, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Heres what baggie sent me!!
... not smart men..
Why did he PM you and did't post it here? Anybody can read it know...

PM = PRIVATE !!
n00b

JCF Veteran

Mar 1, 2006, 11:25 AM
Baggers PMed me and said he didn't mind Jerry posting the information, and that he also doesn't mind if i tell you that.

Good day sirs.
ThunderPX

JCF Member

ThunderPX is doing well so far

Mar 1, 2006, 11:38 AM
The word I like to use for an engine like that is "modular engine." At least that's what the people with programming skills I asked said back when I was still attempting to make a fighting game. =P
n00b

JCF Veteran

Mar 1, 2006, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPX
The word I like to use for an engine like that is "modular engine." At least that's what the people with programming skills I asked said back when I was still attempting to make a fighting game. =P
Thats what baggers told me it was called, so you use the right word.

JCF Member

Mar 3, 2006, 11:26 AM
God(-) (-) (-) (-)!! I got (-)ing blamed again for doing good!! You guys are like hell! But hell is better! Baggers said I was allowed to post it as long as I didnt edit the (not-private XD) part!:P Now huge shame on you for blaming me again! Ha!

JCF Veteran

Mar 3, 2006, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b
Baggers PMed me and said he didn't mind Jerry posting the information, and that he also doesn't mind if i tell you that.

Good day sirs.
I was on your side this time, Jerry.

And don't go all outragey like that, just calmly tell us that Baggers said you could post the information. And furthermore, one smiley does the job just fine, you dont need to post the same one 3 times in a row.

JCF Member

Mar 3, 2006, 11:01 PM
one with 3 times the normal dimensions then? XD Or this:

JCF Member

piet is doing well so far

Mar 4, 2006, 06:42 AM
im happy to inform you baggers site will be back online in 4 days from now
the same goes for Razz Arena...

JCF Member

ShadeJackrabbit is doing well so far

Mar 4, 2006, 06:51 AM
Quote:
God(-) (-) (-) (-)!! I got (-)ing blamed again for doing good!! You guys are like hell! But hell is better! Baggers said I was allowed to post it as long as I didnt edit the (not-private XD) part!:P Now huge shame on you for blaming me again! Ha!
For once, someone else has been yelled at. Also, any news about the glue globber? Just want to ask since I've been away for weeks. Maybe page links in this topic? Thanks.
*Wait's to be yelled at for being "lazy"*

Stop talking sense, this is an internet argument. ~Doubble Dutch