Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

The origins of the menu sound effects

Lark

JCF Member

Lark has disabled reputation

Jul 14, 2013, 06:01 PM
The origins of the menu sound effects

I've noticed that the Disney Jr channel uses pretty much all the JJ2 menu sound effects in some of their shows, but mostly in "Jake and the Neverland Pirates." Makes me wonder where the heck the sounds came from. I found it interesting that all of the menu sounds are used at different times, so they must've been part of a pack or something. It always makes my ears perk up every time the show uses one of those sounds.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jul 14, 2013, 09:47 PM
There's an alligator (or crocodile, no clue) in The Incredible Machine 2 that makes a certain sound when it eats Mel, and every few years I hear that exact same eating sound in some movie or animation. There's also a glass-breaking sound that came with Klik & Play that turns up a lot, and no doubt plenty more that just aren't as immediately recognizable. Good times...

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Jul 14, 2013, 10:52 PM
these all sound like typical stock cartoon effects, which I bet was the general idea behind them. the sounds could very well be made specifically for jazz2, but in a way to imitate the classic ones as good as possible

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Jul 15, 2013, 12:21 AM
Those sounds almost certainly came from a pack then. I'm hearing other sounds being used in various contexts too. I've heard the "ka-ching" and screaming sounds of RollerCoaster Tycoon being used in multiple movies and cartoons.

And there is this dolphin sound that everyone uses: various movies, some episodes of cartoons (at least Fairly Odd Parents, SpongeBob SquarePants, and Rocket Power have used it), in Plants vs Zombies, etc. etc. etc. Somehow all dolphins on screens make the exact same sound. Coincidence?

JCF Member

minmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesome

Jul 15, 2013, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
There's an alligator (or crocodile, no clue)
His name is Edison Alligator so I'm guessing he's an alligator

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Jul 17, 2013, 01:11 PM
Just found out another familiar sound effect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qirP6LQle7s#t=1m53s
Segmentation Fault Segmentation Fault's Avatar

JCF Member

Segmentation Fault is doing well so far

Jul 18, 2013, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooba View Post
Just found out another familiar sound effect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qirP6LQle7s#t=1m53s
Oh my god this game! I remember playing it as a kid, but I forgot the name of it until now. Thanks!

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Jul 18, 2013, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segmentation Fault View Post
Oh my god this game! I remember playing it as a kid, but I forgot the name of it until now. Thanks!
Cool! This would actually be the second time I made somebody remember the name.

JCF Member

wKtK is doing well so far

Jul 20, 2013, 03:19 AM
I remember there being a Dutch radio commercial that used jj2's spring sound. (The sound Spaz makes when he uses one, not the sound of the spring itself)