Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

2-Week Jazz JAM #1: Quirky combo battle!

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Oct 21, 2018, 03:58 PM
2-Week Jazz JAM #1: Quirky combo battle!

EDIT: Redid the arbitrarily defined unscripted category into "Not Majorly Scripted".

After god-knows how long, I decided to start off a (sort of) new type of contest, a level JAM! Unlike regular contests, jams have a short deadline. Two weeks is generous considering the usual amount of time offered in them, but I know many of you guys have busy lives.

I am also looking for judges. You can still become one even if you are an entrant. You just cannot review your own entry.

The theme: Battle with Unexpectedly fitting tileset combos.

These spotlight awards are up for grabs - a single level can have multiple of these;
  1. Most Innovative
  2. Most Polished
  3. Best Visuals
  4. Best Gameplay
  5. Best Not majorly scripted*
Not all spotlight awards are required to be used.

*The only scripting features that are allowed are the enhancements that MLLE offers (palette changing, tileset merging, additional layers, etc)

Rules and guidelines:
  • The entry should follow the theme.
  • You cannot start with pre-existing unreleased maps.
  • You can enter up to three levels, but I recommend you stick to one.
  • You are allowed to collaborate with others
  • The level can be as big or as small as you like, though I recommend at least making it larger than a single screen. Try to not bite off more you can chew though.
  • The level should be functional with all characters.
  • Angelscript is allowed
  • Please submit your entry on this thread or the J2O downloads section, or they will not count.

The deadline is the 5th of November 2018, 00:00 UTC

Questions and Answers:

Q: Will there be a money prize?
A: I decided to go against this since most entrants in JCS contests don't really care for prizes, and it holds everything up. If your level is good enough, there's a high chance it'll be picked up in a future bash or event, which I consider a honorable enough prize.

Q: How frequent will Jazz JAMs be?
A: I'm not sure. I want to allow grace periods for other contests, level projects and just general breaks. In other words - whenever I think it's a good time to start running one.

Q: How do I merge multiple tilesets? Do I need scripting knowledge or mash up tilesets separately?
A: You can optionally do those, but I personally recommend Multi layer level editor, which makes the entire process much easier. It's like JCS, but with more features. No scripting knowledge needed. Quick tutorial coming soon!

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

Last edited by Treylina; Oct 22, 2018 at 10:03 AM. Reason: unscripted rules were poorly thought out and arbitrarily defined

Tags
contest, jam, mlle