Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

What I wanted to have had done by the anniversary but didn't make it

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Apr 9, 2008, 10:56 AM
What I wanted to have had done by the anniversary but didn't make it

Jazz2 becomes 10 years old today, so it's a good occasion to bring out something special, eh? Well not from me, unfortunately. I was preparing some goodies but unfortunately none will be available today... however this doesn't mean they will not be released, actually expect them very soon but I guess it's just not the same hype without a connection to the anniversary.

First things first, the good old Devil Dash episode 1. Yeah, the one that was started back in the beginning of 2002, if I recall well, and since then has undergone incredible changes. Needless to say, in the last 2 months I have redone, remade, remastered and whatever else all of the levels made so far, and I am currently doing the eyecandy for the Upper Castle tileset you could see once on the level show-off thread, so everything's as good as it was when I last made a thread stating it's nearly done and stuff. Well, I'm quite an optimist, no? However, just because some of the levels are about 5 years old, it doesn't mean they're outdated - sure, I'm not an expert at eyecandy, but instead I asked myself - what makes platformers fun? Recently I've been playing a lot of Mario games, especially the Wario Land series, earlier before that I replayed the 2D Metroid games yet again. And that's actually when I realised it's all about replay value. Most of the Jazz2 levelpacks, I'd just finish them and never come back to again. That's kind of sad, don't you think? So I spent time adding more variation to the levels - unlike in most SP levels, the difference between difficulties isn't just more carrots on easy and more enemies on hard. When playing on hard, sometimes additional goals will appear, the environment will be harder to manouver, generally the levels will feel a bit more complex, while on easy certain parts will be skipped or simplified - for example bridges will appear where deadly pits are. Moreover, playing with all the characters will alter the path as well - we all know the good ol' Jazz Start and Spaz Start, as well as the split-ups forced by stomp blocks. However, since Devil Dash is designed for TSF, Lori also has her own routes - at least two levels will be completely different for her! That's already 3x3=9 different possible gameplays. But wait, there's more! Just for all the speedrunners, there are various shortcuts in the levels. Some require finding very hidden passages, for some you will need to perform tricks such as RF jumps or shooting through walls with Bouncers. These are just examples, and you'll have a really tough nut to crack to find the fastest routes and then succesfully pass them without mistakes. Of course, if you prefer to play slowly, you'll have lots of fun as well, because there are tons of regular secrets, as well as some easter eggs and similar cool stuff. To sum it up, there's no chance you'll find everything (if even most) on your first play. The long wait will pay off, so keep your hopes up, as I'm determined to finish this like never before. It would be a shame to cancel the levelpack after so much is done.

Next off, the new Guilty Gene website. The comic has been on hiatus for over a year now (maybe almost 2 years? hell if I know) and the old website has sort of broke in the meantime, so the comic is just moaning for a reanimation. And it's almost done - a week, two, and the website's done. There's also some new pages that are waiting to be released, the freeze of the website has made me lazier in terms of drawing the comic but at least I'm doing something so there will actually be something new to see once the website returns. There will also be a lot of new sketches, info, downloads, all the good stuff for people who still can't wait for the return and continuing of the barely-started plot. Once it's up, I believe I will regain motivation to go on with the comic, and as I'm currently studying English philology, which isn't very hard, I have plenty of free time to spend on settling on a more regular schedule of updates. Once again, just a little more patience, it will all be back soon and you'll finally be able to read Devan's story, which will shine some more light on Devan's motives - in fact, the comic has evolved during the hiatus, emerging from an angsty story about alienation and hopelessness to a space opera filled with eccentrics, psychos and clashes of personalities. It's no longer just a comic about DarkJazz, or whatever you call him - it's a close look at the opposite side of the conflict you took place in during Jazz Jackrabbit, emphasising that nobody really considers themselves purely evil. Did I get you all hyped up now? I hope I did.

Last thing to mention, which might not interest many of you but I still would like to mention it, is my Jazz Jackrabbit Advance remix project, which has adapted the good old phrase FIX0RS TEH JAZZ JACKRABBIT!!! as its title. I already realised I won't make it to the anniversary months ago, but it has to be said that at time I believed I will. Two tracks are done so far, as you know - you might say 'no silly it's three', but I really don't like the version of Critical Brain Pollution on Jazz2Online, as it was rushed just to make it for the 8th bash (heh... 2 years ago. time passes so fast), so I'm redoing it - this time with a more electronic rock style (think Powerman 5000). Generally all the tracks are done at least partially with exception of one or two, but the point is to finish and polish them, and that will take some more time. Expect this to be the last out of all releases mentioned here, and that's why it's the last paragraph. Not everybody likes my music actually, hell, music is a very subjective matter, but I really believe I'm getting the hang of it - recently I spend some time just to learn the technical side of making music, all the accourds, definitions, and stuff, plus I jam a bit on my guitar almost daily and also go wild with the keyboard back at home whenever I get there. So from this point, it can only get better.

Well, that's it - 3 projects, each one vastly different, but all being made at the same time by the same person. I'm a real fan, ever since I started recognising the series and spent my hard-earned money on the Polish release of The Secret Files back in 2001, it's still my favorite game and most likely will remain like that for as long as I'm here, even just because I say so. I may be a bit overhyping about everything I do and I definately take too much time, but I really believe in it all, so you can be sure I won't just say I quit. It's all for the community, for you guys. Now let's have another 10 years!

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)