Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

Levelmaking.

JanusJackrabbit

JCF Member

JanusJackrabbit has disabled reputation

Jun 28, 2006, 04:28 PM
Levelmaking.

I'm curious as to what is the best method of level-making that prevents you from getting bored. I have great ideas but I have trouble carrying them out. Do I start with the background? Make the normal ground first and worry about details later? Make an outline before starting?

I'd really appreciate some tips =p
minmay

JCF Member

minmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesome

Jun 28, 2006, 04:29 PM
I gave up on not getting bored.

JCF Member

blurredd is an asset to this forumblurredd is an asset to this forum

Jun 28, 2006, 06:42 PM
For many of the levels I've made, I've tried to come up with a (somewhat) original concept and a specific theme before I placed any tiles. I find it helps to have the music picked out early on so I don't have extra trouble finding a good music match for the level later on. If you start half a level and can't finish it, you can try stating a new level and get back to the other one some time in the future. You might even have to. I still have a bunch of unfinished levels in my Jazz2 folder, and some of my better work comes from resumed projects.

As for where to start the actual level-building, I can't tell you what's best for you, but I often start with the background to help me judge how many layers I'll need with x and y speeds at 1 (this issue also may depend on the tileset). If the background turns out to be really good, it's sort of inspiration to get the rest of the level finished. As to eye candy now or later, I probably don't stay consistent with my own choices. It's probably another thing that depends on the tileset. If you have to add a lot of eye candy, it may be easier to get it out of the way, but it'll make changing the layout around harder. I suggest trying a variety of methods and seeing what works best for you. You might not even use the same methods for each level.
ATB Contest. Scripting Language.
Gameplay Theories.
1UP. Pitfall. Desolation.
SC2.

JCF Member

Birdie is doing well so far

Jun 28, 2006, 07:22 PM
While making your layout to get not-bored I use flash, mainly because... I suck at drawing in the real world but meh.

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Jun 29, 2006, 05:16 AM
Listening to lifeful, catchy music when working usually preserves me from boredom.

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Jun 29, 2006, 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlurredD
I find it helps to have the music picked out early on so I don't have extra trouble finding a good music match for the level later on. (...) If you start half a level and can't finish it, you can try stating a new level and get back to the other one some time in the future. You might even have to. (...) I often start with the background to help me judge how many layers I'll need with x and y speeds at 1 (this issue also may depend on the tileset). If the background turns out to be really good, it's sort of inspiration to get the rest of the level finished.
Such a nice... coincidence.

JCF Member

Speeza is an asset to this forumSpeeza is an asset to this forum

Jun 29, 2006, 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleGJ
Listening to lifeful, catchy music when working usually preserves me from boredom.
Thats what I do most of the time.
you can't really watch tv and do it at the same time,because the tv distracts you.
so listening to music is probeply the best way to not get bored

Your friendly JCF Hillybilly
DavidkazBest poster of 2010 ! [GpW]
ThunderPX

JCF Member

ThunderPX is doing well so far

Jun 29, 2006, 06:31 AM
Music distracts me when I do anything. Seriously, I played an Offspring CD yesterday while working on my novel. When the CD was pretty much over I hadn't even written ten sentences, even though I knew exactly what I was going to write.

JCF Member

Speeza is an asset to this forumSpeeza is an asset to this forum

Jun 29, 2006, 07:21 AM
Well,we are all different,but thats what I do,maybe some people can watch the tv without getting distracted.
Sometimes I enjoy making levels.
If you want to make a tileset, or level, and you get bored after a while, take a break.
If you do too much of something it gets boring,thats why its always good to take a breack between finnishing a level.
Find what way you like doing best.

Your friendly JCF Hillybilly
DavidkazBest poster of 2010 ! [GpW]

JCF Member

DarkSonic is doing well so far

Jun 29, 2006, 07:40 AM
Listening to music doesn't ruin the fun of making a level. Sometimes I am really in the mood to make one, but sometimes I have no inspiration so I don't make one.

Here are a few tips that might help.

1. If you don't have inspiration to make a level, look at some famous levels. It helps.
2. Gameplay is the most important, although I am a sort of eye candy freak who loves great eye candy. Of course the other things are important too, like the ammo placement. It all depends on the level type and if you make a SP level, the different tilesets have effect on the enemies you will place in the level.
3. Search a music that fits your level well.
4. Don't upload a level to J2O when you just finished it. You need to find beta testers who will try to find bugs or they tell you what can be improved.
5. I usually start with the layout, than I'll do the placement and I'll do the eye candy at last. But of course, you can do it in another order. It's just your choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Jarno View Post
What is Distopia
JanusJackrabbit

JCF Member

Jun 29, 2006, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlurredD
For many of the levels I've made, I've tried to come up with a (somewhat) original concept and a specific theme before I placed any tiles. I find it helps to have the music picked out early on so I don't have extra trouble finding a good music match for the level later on. If you start half a level and can't finish it, you can try stating a new level and get back to the other one some time in the future. You might even have to. I still have a bunch of unfinished levels in my Jazz2 folder, and some of my better work comes from resumed projects.

As for where to start the actual level-building, I can't tell you what's best for you, but I often start with the background to help me judge how many layers I'll need with x and y speeds at 1 (this issue also may depend on the tileset). If the background turns out to be really good, it's sort of inspiration to get the rest of the level finished. As to eye candy now or later, I probably don't stay consistent with my own choices. It's probably another thing that depends on the tileset. If you have to add a lot of eye candy, it may be easier to get it out of the way, but it'll make changing the layout around harder. I suggest trying a variety of methods and seeing what works best for you. You might not even use the same methods for each level.
Actually, that's typically the way I go about making a level. The problem arises when I realize that I'm putting too much detail early on (like how Dean Dodrill always said to make long, fluid lines rather than short, sketchy ones). After playing EvilMike's new pack, I have found that making a good level doesn't depend on super good details. It's gameplay for the most part.

Guess I'll just put on some music and take breaks.
n00b

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

Jun 29, 2006, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPX
Music distracts me when I do anything. Seriously, I played an Offspring CD yesterday while working on my novel. When the CD was pretty much over I hadn't even written ten sentences, even though I knew exactly what I was going to write.
Theres the problem. Music with lyrics tend to be more distracting than purely instrumental.

I'll bet those sentences were written during Insturment solos.

JCF Member

Valco is notorious for his worthless posts

Jun 29, 2006, 07:05 PM
Lightbulb

The best way to solve this that I could thnk of is a test level, where you create ideas without any need of eyecandy or logic. You can play around with special affects ect. there, and come back to your level later. By the time you create your *JuSt 4 FuN* level, you'll have enough ideas to last a week without running out of ideas, resisting your boredom!

Also, if that doesn't work out, you could always find a website or other game that uses great creativity, and play around until you get an interesting idea for your pack.

PS: Only make an outline on paper for large projects. If your level doesn't include backtracking, a puzzle, even a good story, don't make an outline.

The ultimate race experience
Coming soon to Jazz2Online
JanusJackrabbit

JCF Member

Jun 30, 2006, 05:35 PM
So far, I've found a fairly good method.

Create the main elements of the level first, and take as many breaks as needed. Items and actual eyecandy will come last. My only flaw right now is how large I make my areas. It's often passageways and big rooms, but I guess that's the way most levels in JJ2 are are.