Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

JJ2+ (Updated June 30, 2010)

JCF Member

Jgke is an asset to this forumJgke is an asset to this forum

Jul 26, 2010, 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiendmm++ View Post
I get an odd error in this release that didn't happen in the other releases ( I CHECKED)....
Something about setting the video mode......
I took a screenie and uploaded my exe if that helps thx

http://rapidshare.com/files/409262651/blur.jpg
http://rapidshare.com/files/409262635/JAZZ2_.EXE
On your shortcut to jj2+, add '-menu' at the end of the path, without the ''.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Jul 27, 2010, 01:00 AM
I hope it'll be fixed anyway. I liked all those intro things.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Member

Grytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legend

Jul 27, 2010, 02:23 AM
My brother gets the same error often. I just open normal jj2 and close it, then open jj2+ again. That seems to do the trick

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Jul 28, 2010, 06:48 AM
I think someone else posted something about this earlier, but I've just got a screenshot of it. Names were messed up, and I could BARELY type. I think this happens both to 1.23 and 1.24 users...not exactly so sure though. Nor am I sure if this is a plus only issue either.
snzspeed

JCF Member

snzspeed is a forum legendsnzspeed is a forum legendsnzspeed is a forum legend

Jul 28, 2010, 08:48 AM
That kinda stuff has happened to SJ before

JCF Member

Jul 28, 2010, 09:07 AM
Weird stuff happens at that level (gflrs-jake2.j2l)

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jul 28, 2010, 09:34 AM
Where can I find that level?

JCF Member

Jul 28, 2010, 11:19 AM
You have to join my server, and request it.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jul 28, 2010, 01:13 PM
Your server is private.

JCF Member

Spare is doing well so far

Jul 29, 2010, 08:26 PM
Exclamation What has six legs, creeps little girls out and has a software counterpart?

I can't believe I registered for this.

At first I was not sure if I had to post this here or at Technical Help , but then I decided to post it at this thread because I think I'll get a faster answer here. The thing is, this update was all fine for the first three days or so, but suddenly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal Application Error
Jazz Jackrabbit 2 signaled the following internal error:

Could not set video mode 640x480x16 with Any compatible mode

Make sure that this mode is supported by your adapter and that
drivers for your video board are properly installed. If you have not
installed DirectX, please do so.

Please solve this problem and restart Jazz Jackrabbit 2.
This surprised me alot, since it ran well during the past three days. At first I managed to "fix" it by repatching the game, but now this problem is popping again every time I try to start the game, and can't fix it by doing said procedure again... Worst of all, the unpatched executable DOESN'T SEEM TO BE AFFECTED BY THIS (doesn't crash). Is that a bug?

And by the way, I'm new here, just registered here to tell this problem, and if I did something bad, sorry. I've just been rugged off by certain other forums

That's all.

JCF Member

Jul 29, 2010, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
On your shortcut to jj2+, add '-menu' at the end of the path, without the ''.
Please read the latests posts in this thread. Atleast THIS PAGE.
Oh, and welcome to the forums.
Feaw

JCF Member

Feaw is doing well so far

Jul 30, 2010, 05:33 AM
I got that bug too, but it occurred only the first couple of times I started the game. After that it seemed to have fixed itself...

Anyway, I got 2 more suggestions for the next update.

1: Make ambient lightning work outside of water when water is used. Either that or make it possible to remove the water from the level completely (until you activate it again) so you can have lightning again.

2: This has undoubtedly been asked a couple of times before, but, maybe add some event to change the music in the level? You could do it either with text strings like you did with the level exits, or use the Bonus/Secret Level field in the Level Properties window, or something else you think is better.
As for possible parameters, I'm thinking of both fade out and fade in (measured in gameticks or seconds), pause between the eventual fades, and if you use text strings, you'd need text and offset of course.

JCF Member

Dermo should make better posts

Jul 30, 2010, 06:55 AM
add blood

Do you like Stijn? Take my poll!

Windows is not a virus. A virus is small and efficient...

Note to Stijn: how am i even getting away with this

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Jul 30, 2010, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermo View Post
add blood
Add salt and black pepper too. It'll appeal to more tastes then. And chocolate too.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Jul 30, 2010, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feaw View Post
2: This has undoubtedly been asked a couple of times before, but, maybe add some event to change the music in the level?
Enemies > Bosses > Activate boss

Why add something that already exist?

Feaw

JCF Member

Jul 30, 2010, 09:02 AM
That won't always work. And you'd need to call the music file Boss1 or Boss2, and that would be really confusing if you downloaded many levels using one of those.
It could work similar like the event you mentioned, but I don't see this working properly, or at least not how I'd like it to. I'm sure more people agree with me here.

JCF Member

Jul 30, 2010, 10:52 AM
Adding a new event for such thing doesn't sound good for me, as same as wasting another text string. I started to think about Boss3, Boss4... but this makes not much sense as well. Oh well, that's not my problem anyway, I'm not going to ever use an event like that.

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Jul 30, 2010, 11:09 AM
Why would any text string be wasted by this? A level can hold up to 255 text strings... JCS supports up to 50, which is already impossible-to-fill-up-much. As long as the event's Filename parameter supports TextIDs up to 255 I don't think anyone is ever going to run out of text string space.

Oh and btw, I'm in favour of a Set Music event, in case I haven't already mentioned that before

JCF Member

Jul 30, 2010, 12:03 PM
Wut? Which JCS supports up to 50 text strings and why mine doesn't?

Feaw

JCF Member

Jul 30, 2010, 12:20 PM
Yeah, JCS can have only 16 text strings >__>.
Unless you know something we don't...

EDIT: TextID does go up to 255, but you can only have 16 text strings (as far as I know, at least).

Last edited by Feaw; Jul 30, 2010 at 12:43 PM.
NekoMithos

JCF Member

NekoMithos is doing well so far

Jul 30, 2010, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
Add salt and black pepper too. It'll appeal to more tastes then. And chocolate too.
If you diden't know yet; We already have chocolate. Event Chocbar.

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Jul 31, 2010, 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feaw View Post
Yeah, JCS can have only 16 text strings >__>.
Unless you know something we don't...

EDIT: TextID does go up to 255, but you can only have 16 text strings (as far as I know, at least).
Whoooops my bad, JCS indeed only goes to 15 (I bet someone edited it once to support up to 50, I remember seeing a screenshot of that oh well). But I'm absolutely sure the game supports TextIDs of up to 255. You just can't set them in JCS.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jul 31, 2010, 01:18 AM
1.23 supports most of 0-255, though 16-62ish run the risk of interfering with animated tiles. However, using the strings from 63ish on is a risky endeavor that we know very little about -- it overwrites some memory that JJ2 wants to use for other purposes, but we don't know what direct effect this has. TSF, on the other hand, seems to refuse to load any text string higher than 15.

JCF Member

Jul 31, 2010, 01:28 AM
That sounds cool, I must check it out. Anyway, we're limited to 16 text strings and 255 events, I believe we can't use them for every cool-sounding idea.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Jul 31, 2010, 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post

Do you mind if I hit you in the face really hard with a large plank?

JCF Member

Jul 31, 2010, 03:42 AM
I don't, as long as you're a pretty 15 years old girl. So actually what wrong do you see in that post?

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Jul 31, 2010, 03:50 AM
Well, you can't use a filename as a parameter for activate boss (though this is more of an engine limitation), it has unwanted gameplay side-effects and requires people to replace files that a lot of levels count on to be the originals. And most of all, the event isn't intended for changing music, but for activating a boss.

JCF Member

Jul 31, 2010, 04:04 AM
I think I've seen some good SP packs replacing original Boss1 music. Also, if you don't like this one, there's always Area EOL which changes music very well for me.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Jul 31, 2010, 04:13 AM

JCF Member

Jul 31, 2010, 04:24 AM
Sorry, I just can't imagine a situation where it'd be impossible to use one of those with a good effect. You could as well request an event which changes the tileset and then start to make a one-level-episode.

Feaw

JCF Member

Jul 31, 2010, 10:18 AM
Uhm, that doesnt even slightly resemble changing the music playing...
And as Stijn said, the boss event isnt made for that, and as I also said before, you'd have to include Boss1 and/or Boss2 in your pack, and so people will end up having like 20 of each, if not more. And that also only allows 2 of those events per pack, otherwise you'd have to change them in between before going to the next level, which will give the players extra confusion and make the pack worse overall.
Yes, there are custom boss music files on J2O, but only a couple. I actually liked the one included in Dreamscape by Blacky, and I replaced the old one by it totally since I like it better. But this only rarely is the case (as far as I know I've only ever downloaded 2 custom boss music files, one of which being the aforementioned, and I've downloaded a lot).
But enough about this, BlurredD is the boss, and only he decides to add it or not and how to do it.
Another idea I have is instead of referring to a text string, why not refer to a text file outside of JCS, I think that must be possible...

JCF Member

Aug 1, 2010, 01:38 AM
I started to wonder about one event, area, which when entered changes music/tileset/text strings, depending on what kind of file is in a given text string in a given place. Especially the last thing could give a lot of possibilities if it'd be possible to load another set of 16 text strings from .txt or .ini files. If such event can be implemented then yes, I like the idea.

Feaw

JCF Member

Aug 1, 2010, 02:12 AM
That actually sounds very awesome =).

JCF Member

Obi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHART

Aug 4, 2010, 02:24 AM
I'm working from a laptop with an extra screen plugged in, but when I remove the screen JJ2 will still start up off-screen. Most other programs realize that the screen is gone, but unfortunately JJ2 doesn't. Could this be fixed in some future version by any chance?

JCF Member

Aug 4, 2010, 06:42 AM
Also, maybe a way to make it possible to still edit an event's parameters if it regenerates?

JCF Member

Aug 4, 2010, 06:46 AM
MCE

Last edited by Sir Ementaler; Aug 4, 2010 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Link
Feaw

JCF Member

Aug 4, 2010, 11:17 AM
Yeah, nevermind
Old Aug 5, 2010, 02:06 AM
Toni
This message has been deleted by Toni. Reason: useless
Old Aug 5, 2010, 04:43 AM
cooba
This message has been deleted by cooba. Reason: i should do this for a living

JCF Member

plunK is an asset to this forum

Aug 5, 2010, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermo View Post
I would like this thread to be stickied.
Seconded

Quote:
Originally Posted by snzspeed View Post
would it be possible to make the damage carry over beetween levels?
First decent JJ2+ suggestion ive seen in a while

Quote:
Make rabbit's breath visible when snow's falling and a possibility to set an amount of air underwater in MP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
Why just in MP? Limited oxygen could be an interesting mechanic in SP too, especially if somehow an "extra air" pickup item is implemented.
I think this is quite a good concept as well, as for the "extra air" pickup, I would think of it as in many mario games (such as galaxy 2) where air is increases by getting health (in marios case coin) power ups underwater, logical in a way, although itd make healing to easy. Coins giving air might work though, have like drain 5 coins a minute or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiendmm++ View Post
I get an odd error in this release that didn't happen in the other releases ( I CHECKED)....
Something about setting the video mode......
I took a screenie and uploaded my exe if that helps thx
http://rapidshare.com/files/409262651/blur.jpg
http://rapidshare.com/files/409262635/JAZZ2_.EXE
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMike View Post
Don't upload screenshots to rapidshare. And especially don't upload suspicious exe files. Hopefully a mod will delete your post before anyone is dumb enough to download that.
Lol good call.... I was curious to click for a second

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
I was kind of hoping people are smart enough not to just download and open random .exe files from the internet.
As can be seen here
http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=18398
I am evidently not that smart......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Rabbit View Post
Where can I find that level?
Spoken like a true bugfixing hero

Quote:

Using the Activate Boss to change music is about as convienient as just running a song through iTunes for each level....

JCF Member

Aug 5, 2010, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plunK View Post
Spoken like a true bugfixing hero
You forgot to flame the responses.

Stealth Admin

Torkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legend

Aug 5, 2010, 09:35 AM
Sticked thread. I'm surprised it hadn't been already.

Closed Thread