Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Help regaining long forgotten Jazz 2 Stuff.

JCF Member

plunK is an asset to this forum

Jan 19, 2012, 06:01 PM
Help regaining long forgotten Jazz 2 Stuff.

So now that I'm back active into Jazz 2 again, I'm trying to regain old Knowledge on the game and needed some refreshing on how to do certain things (Mostly MCEs).

1) The Chained Bee Boss MCE
-This MCE spawned a Bee Boss in the top left corner, chained to the level boundaries by wires. It is essentially a bee swarm event but is a super ring containing over 200 bees

2) Flying Spring
-Some combination of using RF's on a spring causes them to fly away off the top of the map.

IN PROGRESS

3) Gravity Inversion MCE
-What was the MCE/series of events that could variably invert gravity for upwards motioned levels?

SOLVED

4) Object teleporter/Hologram MCE
-some combination of 3 MCE's (i think one was a fish) allowed teleportation of items within like a 5 block range. using two that flip flop you could create a hologram effect

SOLVED

5) Half Buried PU's
-How do you place PU's at intervals of 16 pixels, or half a block so they stick out of the ground a bit

SOLVED

6) Chesire Cats that go in any direction
-ideas?

SOLVED

7) Saving Maps in saved states:
-I used to do this alot, EX formatted "test8.jBUST A Move.j2l", "test9.j GAME SAVED.j2l"

8) There is a mod artist named "Nightbeat", I need to get in contact with them. Suggestions?

SOLVED

9) The SCE/MCE for the invisiblity cloak Power UP

10) The MCE for the red thing i circled:

SOLVED

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by plunK; Jan 20, 2012 at 02:50 PM.

JCF Member

Jgke is an asset to this forumJgke is an asset to this forum

Jan 19, 2012, 10:23 PM
3) is a layer trick, not a MCE trick. See the example 3 from this.
8)Look here.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Jan 20, 2012, 07:11 AM
2) I've seen springs flying away several times, however I doubt RF's have anything to do with that. I have no idea what else can cause that though.
4) That's a very interesting effect I didn't think of. In fact no MCE is used there, although event 255 (commonly called MCE Event but used for things other than MCE's too) comes in useful. Download this. The effect you described is used for gold coins inside of pipes there. You should be able to see how does it work in JCS. I won't explain it exactly as it's kind of complicated, but for MCE Event with Event parameter 128 placing Belt Right below it teleports objects left, Belt Left - right. Different Event parameter values result in different distances and directions (left or right).
5) PU's are affected by gravity so you can just place it over a half-masked tile and then trigger it to become a full-masked one. Alternatively, simply place it in a half masked tile.
6) Belts. Obviously, they only allow you to move it left and right, and it will still travel up at the same time.
10) Another very interesting effect. It looks like a Gem Ring MCE (Event parameter 192) and most probably is one. At least I achieved something rather similar by placing it. I suppose its looks might vary depending on some weird conditions. Also, it results in Access Violation in 1.23.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jan 20, 2012, 08:50 AM
2) As far as I know, nobody's ever found a foolproof method of getting a spring to fly away. Based on experimentation with belts and the Delay parameter, this is what I think happens: a spring, when landed on, is programmed to descend a bit (at least if given a delay higher than 0) and then return to its original position. Through some mishap -- the traditional way of triggering it involves having a powerup bounce on it, although presumably other gravity-affected crates should work just as well? -- the spring's internal memory of where it's supposed to return to gets reset to 0,0 and so it takes off towards the upper-left corner at the slow speed it uses to return from a Delay.

JCF Member

Jan 20, 2012, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
4) That's a very interesting effect I didn't think of. In fact no MCE is used there, although event 255 (commonly called MCE Event but used for things other than MCE's too) comes in useful. Download this. The effect you described is used for gold coins inside of pipes there. You should be able to see how does it work in JCS. I won't explain it exactly as it's kind of complicated, but for MCE Event with Event parameter 128 placing Belt Right below it teleports objects left, Belt Left - right. Different Event parameter values result in different distances and directions (left or right).

5) PU's are affected by gravity so you can just place it over a half-masked tile and then trigger it to become a full-masked one. Alternatively, simply place it in a half masked tile.

6) Belts. Obviously, they only allow you to move it left and right, and it will still travel up at the same time.

10) Another very interesting effect. It looks like a Gem Ring MCE (Event parameter 192) and most probably is one. At least I achieved something rather similar by placing it. I suppose its looks might vary depending on some weird conditions. Also, it results in Access Violation in 1.23.
4) Yes! Thanks!

5) Again, Thanks!

6) Not what I meant. I found an old save file of mine and actually the effect I meant is created by placing TNT within proximity, allowing you to fly sideways and even downawards.

10)Yes that is the correct. The MCE forms of Crab Boss and Gem Ring have texturing glitches in levels that don't feature other certain events (Bubba I tihnk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
2) As far as I know, nobody's ever found a foolproof method of getting a spring to fly away. Based on experimentation with belts and the Delay parameter, this is what I think happens: a spring, when landed on, is programmed to descend a bit (at least if given a delay higher than 0) and then return to its original position. Through some mishap -- the traditional way of triggering it involves having a powerup bounce on it, although presumably other gravity-affected crates should work just as well? -- the spring's internal memory of where it's supposed to return to gets reset to 0,0 and so it takes off towards the upper-left corner at the slow speed it uses to return from a Delay.
That sounds right. In one of my experimental save files from a few years back I had indeed found a 100% foolproof method of causing this, which I don't recall exactly but If i do recall it was something along the lines of RF jumping through the spring in a 1 wide corridor. Ill hunt down that map and tell you if I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
3) is a layer trick, not a MCE trick. See the example 3 from this.
8)Look here.
3) I know that effect, but it wasnt the one I intended. I found the effect in a map. It has to do with the "Float Up" event. If Jazz/Spaz enters it while frozen they shoot upwards superfast until the ice thaws. If you are playing as the frog the same effect happens, but all the time, even when not frozen, and the frogs upward rise is very slow offering a good grav inversion effect.

8) Thank You Very Much!!

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Feb 6, 2012, 01:41 AM
9) I suppose you mean the Invincibility carrot. It's event 88 and so it's spawned by MCE's with their event parameter set to 88. In fact you don't need an MCE to spawn it in MP though. However, for reasons I don't know, in MP this pickup is fully blocked by JJ2+. I've heard about a bug related to Invincibility carrots but I couldn't find even a single note about it's removal in the Plus readme and I don't think any other event was removed like that, without any possibility of spawning it, so this may be unintended. Later I might do some research on which version of Plus removes it and what can it be related to but I don't really want to promise anything.

Could you explain points 1 and 7 further? I'm not sure what do you mean by "wires", perhaps some hints on how did they look like? And I have no idea what is point 7 about, probably something related to dying in Save & Run mode, but what do you want to achieve?

Edit: Oh, and I've just found a foolproof way to get a flying spring. Place any (vertical) spring (I think that parameters don't matter as long as Ceiling=0, obviously) on the floor, then place any PU (excluding TNT), any working shield, a Jazz-Spaz Morph, a Bird Morph or a Trigger Crate above it. Then it is important that the pickup object spawns first, so you have to approach the area from above and only in SP. The springs will fly away as you get close. No other container-type objects seem to work so I suppose it has to do with the size of their sprite. Other than that I have no idea what makes it work.

Last edited by Sir Ementaler; Feb 6, 2012 at 02:57 AM.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Feb 6, 2012, 10:52 AM
AFAIK invincibility simply doesn't do anything in multiplayer, so a pickup with no purpose but providing invincibility has no place there.

JCF Member

Feb 6, 2012, 01:00 PM
Hm, I didn't realize that but it's apparently true. However, considering that objects such as 1up, Extra Time and Fast Feet still spawn despite not doing anything in MP, I'm not sure why would blur remove Invincibility, especially without mentioning it anywhere in documentation (unless I somehow skipped it). Although now I can easily imagine it has to do with avoiding mistakes where people think they're immortal after taking it.

GoldRabbit

JCF Member

GoldRabbit is an asset to this forumGoldRabbit is an asset to this forum

Feb 11, 2012, 02:34 PM
I'm quite late to the party, but here's Overlord's way of making flying springs. It's very detailed and most likely foolproof. The page might take a while to load since his site was hosted on geocities which was shut down a couple of years ago.

Link

JCF Member

Feb 11, 2012, 02:46 PM
Quote:
9) I suppose you mean the Invincibility carrot. .
No, I actually just discovered the effect. If you place 3 carrot crates with extraexevnt 215 amount 15 directly 1 block above eachother, then shoot them. When the 3rd breaks Jazz's sprite will dissapear. He is still there but due to a local animation overload caused by spawning 45 spike bolls on top of eachother it makes all players invisible in this area. It does not, however, make enemies or items invisible, making a cool, effect. The range is about 15 block radius from the crates.

Quote:
Could you explain points 1 and 7 further?
I'm not sure what do you mean by "wires", perhaps some hints on how did they look like? And I have no idea what is point 7 about, probably something related to dying in Save & Run mode, but what do you want to achieve?
What I mean by number 1:

The effect is created by spawning within one screenlength of a mass of beeboy events. I used a 17w x 7h grid of beeboy events, set to swarm 255. It causes a massive ring of bees to spawn at (0,0) on the grid. I dont quite understand the behaviour of this mob. Sometimes it will slowly move towards you, sometimes it will fly away from you, and sometimes it will move along the x axis and slowly downwards. The "chains" are individual bees that are glitching and quickly blink from the sides of the map to the cluster. They are fast and hard to get a picture of. When I originally made the event they were doing this so rapidly it seemed like a solid string to the walls. Strangely enough, If you shoot even one single bee of the cluster, they all die at a rate of about 100/second until the whole cluster is gone,.

As for number 7, it appears that saving the game with the starting text such as "bust a move" at a certain point on the screen unusually inserts the text onscreen into the savefile displaying "level.jBUST A MOVE.j2l". These levels are similar in every way except sometimes they dont spawn/save at the time you originally did

Quote:
Edit: Oh, and I've just found a foolproof way to get a flying spring. Place any (vertical) spring (I think that parameters don't matter as long as Ceiling=0, obviously) on the floor, then place any PU (excluding TNT), any working shield, a Jazz-Spaz Morph, a Bird Morph or a Trigger Crate above it. Then it is important that the pickup object spawns first, so you have to approach the area from above and only in SP. The springs will fly away as you get close. No other container-type objects seem to work so I suppose it has to do with the size of their sprite. Other than that I have no idea what makes it work.
Ill try this.

The way I originally did it was to put a horizantal spring on a 1-wide ledge, with a 127strength wind facing it. This changes the properties of weapons in weird ways(RFs can shoot through walls, If you hold the arrow key that faces the spring you can shoot bouncer bullets straight down with a curve towards the side the spring is on, weapons range increases to as high as 60 tiles). I havent found the key yet but I know this + RFS can cause the flying spring as well.

New Questions:

11)Does anyone remember how to make Jazz teabag everytime he fires his gun?

12)Does anyone remember how to get the gun that shoots the electonic helix/DNA looking thing

Last edited by plunK; Feb 11, 2012 at 03:01 PM.
Toni_

JCF Member

Toni_ is doing well so far

Feb 13, 2012, 02:26 AM
2) I see flying spring in cooba's DOM level for your contest. Ask him how did he did that.

JCF Member

Sean is a forum legendSean is a forum legend

Feb 13, 2012, 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plunK View Post
12)Does anyone remember how to get the gun that shoots the electonic helix/DNA looking thing
Laser shield, only accessible by cheats/jjshield.