Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

JJ2+ (Updated June 30, 2010)

JCF Member

Black Ninja is an asset to this forumBlack Ninja is an asset to this forum

Sep 7, 2009, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foly View Post
I tried the UPnP:

I did exactly what you said, but when I runned the Add10052TCPandUDP.bat it showed a message in a red bar in the dos box:

SSDP Discovery Service Failure -> Unable To Locate UPnP Router.

I searched my router and only saw one little thing about UPnP where I could enable/disable UPnP (I used enable ofcourse) and allow users/internet users (or something) to use UPnP.

I seem to be having the same problem as Foly. My router does have UPnP, and it is enabled - but no luck.

EDIT: For what it's worth, the router is an Apple Time Capsule. Wireless is disabled and I am plugged in via CAT6.

JCF Member

plunK is an asset to this forum

Sep 7, 2009, 01:03 PM
Also....has nobody noticed that Hamachi is copyrighted therefore implementing it, vene the free version is illegal

If you got the3 paid version it does support 128 pperson rooms however, but you have to pay

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Sep 7, 2009, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJazz View Post

Cool project awesome work man. I've always known PHP were able to do this.

Though I wouldn't use 1.25+ as the version (on list)... more something like 2.00 or so. As it's totally not related to the JJ2 1.2# builds in any way.

A PHP JJ2 client wouldn't be ugly either. One interesting feature would be: chat. This way, finally, people won't idle in your servers just to chat. They can join through the PHP client. Don't want that? Just ban the client from yer server.

JCF Member

Grytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legend

Sep 8, 2009, 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlurredD View Post
I'm not about to implement Hamachi in JJ2 just so that a few more people can host levels. I am, however, still trying to get UPnP to work which should help a lot with hosting, but I'm currently distracted with other large and somewhat unnecessary projects... Maybe I should've let Cpp handle UPnP when he was somewhat willing.

Then again, it might not be worth halting other projects just to get UPnP working through JJ2+. This looks like a good time to test something. I need people who can't host (those who want an easier way to forward JJ2 ports may be interested as well) to download this file: JJ2-UPnP-BatchFiles.zip. Extract all the files to the same folder and then run Add10052TCPandUDP.bat to forward ports. Make sure to run Remove10052TCPandUDP.bat when you're done. You may want to see what ports are already forwarded with ListForwardedPorts.bat.
Didn't seem to work here

JCF Member

DarkB is doing well so far

Sep 8, 2009, 04:32 AM
yea don't work.....

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

JCF Member

blurredd is an asset to this forumblurredd is an asset to this forum

Sep 8, 2009, 10:07 AM
It helps to explain what exactly didn't work. But you can try to see how far you can get with this tutorial on how to add port mappings through Windows UPnP panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ninja View Post
I seem to be having the same problem as Foly. My router does have UPnP, and it is enabled - but no luck.

EDIT: For what it's worth, the router is an Apple Time Capsule. Wireless is disabled and I am plugged in via CAT6.
That router apparently only uses NAT-PMP. I guess that's another thing to consider implementing alongside UPnP. I suppose you can try adding port mappings through your OS like how the tutorial above suggests.
ATB Contest. Scripting Language.
Gameplay Theories.
1UP. Pitfall. Desolation.
SC2.

Penalty

Banned

Penalty is doing well so far

Sep 8, 2009, 10:11 AM
UPnP works fine on my Alix 2D13 with pfSense.

JCF Member

Troglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legend

Sep 9, 2009, 11:24 PM
Could plus be made to recognize that multiversion doesn't allow 1.23 players to join 1.24 games, and grey them out even when the 1.24 server has multiversion on?

Lexicographer: Someone who writes dictionaries
Neophyte: A novice, or newbie
Hemisemidemiquaver: In music, a sixty-fourth note

Exit Troglobite, Stage Left

JCF Member

Sep 10, 2009, 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglobite View Post
Could plus be made to recognize that multiversion doesn't allow 1.23 players to join 1.24 games, and grey them out even when the 1.24 server has multiversion on?
That'd depend completely on the level played, right?

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Sep 10, 2009, 12:47 PM
Yeah :s What's the point in having multiversion if you don't let 1.23 players join 1.24 servers even though the server specified that 1.23 players are welcome?

That would only make sense in levels with a lot of tiles, as 1.23 simply can't handle those.

JCF Member

Sep 11, 2009, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlurredD View Post
It helps to explain what exactly didn't work. But you can try to see how far you can get with this tutorial on how to add port mappings through Windows UPnP panel.

That router apparently only uses NAT-PMP. I guess that's another thing to consider implementing alongside UPnP. I suppose you can try adding port mappings through your OS like how the tutorial above suggests.
Gah, I've been thinking for ages that my router supported UPNP. Interesting, as the recent JJ2+ update did indeed allow me to finally join servers under the same router.

Configuring NAT-PMP through Windows and through the router (and several combinations of each, I might add) didn't seem to resolve my hosting issue. Being greedy, I'd love it if NAT-PMP was added, but realistically, UPNP is probably a much bigger priority, as I doubt many people here are using Apple-branded networking equipment.
Penalty

Banned

Penalty is doing well so far

Sep 11, 2009, 10:53 PM
UPnP seems to be much more common and widely supported than NAT-PMP. See here.

JCF Member

Sep 13, 2009, 08:30 AM
rf boxes don't spawn

JCF Member

Sep 13, 2009, 09:44 AM
See this post.
Gameplay Theories.
SC2.

JCF Member

Jgke is an asset to this forumJgke is an asset to this forum

Sep 16, 2009, 12:16 PM
Levellists support only up to 99 levs. I need more. Something like 1024 slots.

Even if /levellist off, for instance, /c semi might show that level isnt on levellist.

Edit: /c bug is only on client admins.
Edit2: My fault on levellist, after 099 was 0100.

Last edited by Jgke; Sep 16, 2009 at 08:39 PM.

JCF Member

Sep 16, 2009, 12:46 PM
It's 999 levels, unless I made a mistake somewhere (and if I did, please mention where you're getting the error, and post relevant files and logs). And you may want to consider only choosing levels others might reasonably want to play instead of including every level you can find. You can use the welcome message to give a link indicating what's on your Level List.

Keep in mind that the Anniversary Bash packs--which I suspect you might be including in your Level List--as a whole contain a lot of duplicate levels. And many of the Bash levels are old versions. I would strongly suggest using only the versions of the levels released by the original authors on J2O if this is at all possible as they tend to be the most up-to-date.
Gameplay Theories.
SC2.

JCF Member

FawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legend

Sep 16, 2009, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglobite View Post
you can join 1.24 servers with 1.23 as long the level isn't saved on TSF. (so in JCS, one save and run and you can say goodbye to your multiversion from TSF). however you can always use TSFto1.23J2l converter. 1.23 levels from j2o that you didn't run from JCS are still fine.

JCF Member

Foly has disabled reputation

Sep 17, 2009, 08:40 AM
Suggestion: A command that works like f8, so you cant see peoples names
[13:07:13] *** Foly is on a KILLING SPREE!
[13:07:14] *** you killed yourself
[13:07:14] *** Foly was looking good but died instead...

JCF Member

Foly has disabled reputation

Sep 17, 2009, 09:59 AM
I mean that nobody can see other names and that they cant turn it back on with f8. This would be usefull for some lvls.
[13:07:13] *** Foly is on a KILLING SPREE!
[13:07:14] *** you killed yourself
[13:07:14] *** Foly was looking good but died instead...

JCF Member

Sep 17, 2009, 10:16 AM
sounds fun. probably for something like hide and seek?

JCF Member

Troglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legend

Sep 17, 2009, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FawFul View Post
you can join 1.24 servers with 1.23 as long the level isn't saved on TSF. (so in JCS, one save and run and you can say goodbye to your multiversion from TSF). however you can always use TSFto1.23J2l converter. 1.23 levels from j2o that you didn't run from JCS are still fine.
Thanks, but I'm on the 1.23-not-being-able-to-join-games side of the problem.

JCF Member

Sep 18, 2009, 03:32 AM
true, it also happens to me very often.. that TSF people just do /multiversion on without thinking what version the level is. really annoying, yes. but that mistake belongs to the people hosting, not to jj2+ where the purpose is you can join more and different servers than normal. still, would jj2+ be able to recognize the level (.j2l) version, if the server is TSF and you are running 1.23? if so, try to make these fields 'unable to join (grey)' instead of 'being able to join (white).'

JCF Member

Sep 18, 2009, 06:26 AM
Or build this 1.24-to-1.23-j2l-converter thingy that was mentioned into 1.23+ and autoconvert 1.24 levels. Then the only servers 1.23 players will not be able to play in, are the ones hosting levels with too many tiles.

JCF Member

Sep 18, 2009, 06:33 AM
Or convince everyone to use only TSF so that I don't have to keep supporting an older version of JJ2.
Gameplay Theories.
SC2.

JCF Member

Sep 18, 2009, 06:50 AM
yeah but most of the people don't want that, and not everyone has TSF, neither TSFers have 1.23. i don't think both 'commnunities' are that used to each other.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Sep 18, 2009, 07:21 AM
Make the next version TSF only!

JCF Member

Sep 18, 2009, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FawFul View Post
yeah but most of the people don't want that, and not everyone has TSF, neither TSFers have 1.23. i don't think both 'commnunities' are that used to each other.
Well, multiversion dedicated servers have been around for some while now, and TSF users running JJ2+ have been able to join all 1.23 games since the latest update. So it's not a stretch to believe the communities have gotten used to each other, at least to some degree. And since you don't even need 1.23 to play online anymore, only 1.23 users would have to get TSF. The only thing stopping them is either their willingness to search and spend on sites like eBay or their own morals.

Plus this whole desire to keep the "1.23" and "TSF" communities separate has got to stop. What other game deliberately has this?
Gameplay Theories.
SC2.

JCF Member

Sep 18, 2009, 06:25 PM
Blur is right. Bad servers and unfriendly people exist in either version; it's nothing but a misconception that one version is better or worse than another.

Sadly though, having people buy 1.24 isn't going to work - people here are apparently too poor or too paranoid (or stupid?) to use sites like eBay. However, it might be worthwhile for J2O to offer a webstore with copies of the game. This way, people could buy from a site they trust and any proceeds would go toward the community they like.

Not an ideal solution, but Blur is completely right that separating the communities intentionally is just dumb, especially when 1.24 is superior in oh so many ways.
BlueDragon

JCF Member

BlueDragon is doing well so far

Sep 19, 2009, 01:23 AM
Blur is 100% right the separating has got to stop.I have not seen any communities that had the versions separated like this have you?

If you rely hate the 1.24 noobs so much then add a pass to your server or make it plus only(will block most of them).And i think that if all would be in 1 version it would be much better for the game.(1.20?)

And it would be nice if in xmas time 1.24x(CC99) would be used.Doesn't 1.24x have the most up to date game engine.Like i can play 1.24 lvls in 1.24x but i cant play 1.24x lvls in 1.24.Or just let everyone use 1.25 whit plus.

JCF Member

Sep 19, 2009, 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
Actually, everyone has TSF already so there's no need to buy it. If you think anyone (who actively plays the game now) reckons downloading a pirated version a bad thing, you are wrong.
We could even host a server containing a link to Digiex or somewhere else people can get TSF if they do not have it yet.

I support the idea of making Plus' next release TSF only. People who like 1.23+ that much can continue using it since it's developed enough already.
I disagree. I have 1.23, but not 1.24, I play actively, and I do not plan on pirating. If you feel like arguing about piracy or something, feel free to add a new thread in miscellaneous and I'll be more than happy to contribute my opinion.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Sep 19, 2009, 02:48 AM
Could JJ2+ sneakily change 1.23 into 1.24 in an update? Or at least, make 1.23 able to read 1.24's level/tileset formats?

(don't care about the legality of this)

JCF Member

Sep 19, 2009, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooba View Post
Could JJ2+ sneakily change 1.23 into 1.24 in an update? Or at least, make 1.23 able to read 1.24's level/tileset formats?

That's an interesting notion, Cooba. I may be wrong, but I don't see how this would be illegal either.

Suggesting that everyone mass-pirate 1.24 is not the right way to go, at all. However, if 1.23+ were able to read TSF's levels, tilesets, and possibly .j2a file, Lori would no longer appear broken, all levels would be compatible, and people with TSF would still gain the extra 'feature' of being able to play as Lori.

Hunter, I think you're wrong about how many people would be okay with pirating the game. I made a piracy topic a while back - go check out the results, be amazed.

JCF Member

Sep 19, 2009, 02:17 PM
Quote:
make 1.23 able to read 1.24's level/tileset formats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ninja View Post
That's an interesting notion, Cooba. I may be wrong, but I don't see how this would be illegal either.

Suggesting that everyone mass-pirate 1.24 is not the right way to go, at all. However, if 1.23+ were able to read TSF's levels, tilesets, and possibly .j2a file, Lori would no longer appear broken, all levels would be compatible, and people with TSF would still gain the extra 'feature' of being able to play as Lori.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrythabest, before the above posts View Post
Or build this 1.24-to-1.23-j2l-converter thingy that was mentioned into 1.23+ and autoconvert 1.24 levels. Then the only servers 1.23 players will not be able to play in, are the ones hosting levels with too many tiles.

Isn't this practically the same? The only difference is, that I suggested you'd just convert them to something 1.23 can read, while Cooba suggested to alter 1.23 so it can read them. Techinically slightly different, but practically the same.

I feel ignored.

JCF Member

Dermo should make better posts

Sep 19, 2009, 05:52 PM
Hey we should make 1.23 able to read 1.24 levels

Do you like Stijn? Take my poll!

Windows is not a virus. A virus is small and efficient...

Note to Stijn: how am i even getting away with this
Old Sep 19, 2009, 09:18 PM
Black Ninja
This message has been deleted by Black Ninja. Reason: Uncalled for, I suppose. Sorry, Dermo.

JCF Veteran

Sep 20, 2009, 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrythabest View Post
Isn't this practically the same? The only difference is, that I suggested you'd just convert them to something 1.23 can read, while cooba suggested to alter 1.23 so it can read them. Techinically slightly different, but practically the same.
Yeah... except your solution doesn't make 1.23 able to read TSF tilesets.
DanZeal

JCF Member

DanZeal is an asset to this forum

Sep 20, 2009, 01:33 AM
Quote:

I agree.
Or is it possible to just create a 1.23 -> 1.24 patch?

ZStats
"The myth that women should not lift heavy is advanced only by women who fear effort and men who fear women." Eric Midkiff

JCF Member

Dermo should make better posts

Sep 20, 2009, 08:09 AM
no. that would be piracy. I wish they would release an *official* 1.25 patch already.t

Do you like Stijn? Take my poll!

Windows is not a virus. A virus is small and efficient...

Note to Stijn: how am i even getting away with this

JCF Member

Sep 20, 2009, 10:03 AM
What would we gain from an official 1.25 patch that Blur is somehow unable to implement in JJ2+? You are apparently assuming Epic would add TSF functionality to the vanilla game, which is not a safe assumption to make.

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Sep 20, 2009, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZeal View Post
Or is it possible to just create a 1.23 -> 1.24 patch?
It's possible, and I think it's been done. I recall something like that being uploaded to J2O, but it was deleted. I don't think that sort of thing is really allowed. Because of that, it's easier just to download 1.24.

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Sep 20, 2009, 09:26 PM
Oh, and for anyone confused about why JJ2 has this bizarre split between 1.23 and 1.24, I can perhaps explain it, since I was around before 1.24 was released.

Once upon a time JJ2 only had one version (let's just ignore 1.20). Then the developers started talking about something they called *IT* (asterisks required). *IT* was eventually revealed to be an expansion pack or something like that. Originally it was "Diamond edition", but eventually it became TSF and was a standalone addition to JJ2, rather than an expansion. Anyway, a lot of people were excited about it.

They released it in 1999. Just one problem: they only released it in Europe. Back then JJ2 had quite a few players in the USA and Canada, and for us, the only way to acquire TSF was basically either to download it, or import it. Importing was only done by a few hardcore fans, since really, the content of TSF isn't worth the effort to most people. And as for downloading it, that wasn't too easy back then. Search engines weren't as good as they are now, everyone had dialup, and warez sites were (as they are now) untrustworthy and more likely to give you a virus. These days you can get a torrent of any game you want; 10 years ago you had to actually put in a bit effort, and for a relatively obscure release like TSF it wasn't going to be easy.

Because of this, the community started to split. Generally it was agreed that 1.23 should be used for most things, since it was available to everyone (unlike 1.24). However, new players would sometimes only have 1.24 (due to it being standalone), which meant that whatever they created in JCS was 1.24-only, and in online play they were separated from everyone else. Older players mostly stuck with 1.23 due to this. I should also mention, that back then there was a larger fanbase west of the Atlantic, and there was also a bit of jealousy too. In any case, there was a very good reason for keeping 1.23 around.

So, new players played 1.24, and old players stuck with good old 1.23. It didn't take long for the perception to arise that 1.24 was for newbies. And it was true to a degree, at the time. Also, when newbies got a bit better at the game, and got to know people, they often "migrated" to playing with the 1.23 crowd. There are a few people on these forums who did that. Maybe people still do it today, I don't know.

So, that's how the "divide" started. The reason it still exists is because it's hard to make something like that disappear, and the old perception that 1.24 is for newbies has been carried on. It's not nearly as bad as it used to be though, and overall, I'd say most people have both versions of the game now. 1.23 is still being kept alive, but only because you can achieve maximum compatibility with it (host a 1.23 server with multiversion and anyone can join, make a 1.23 level/tileset and anyone can play).

It's not even a big issue any more, but it's still enough. As someone who makes levels, I have two options: make it 1.23 and have everyone be able to play it, or make it 1.24 and have almost everyone able to play. Not a big difference between the two, but it's still a question I (and I'd bet most serious level makers) consider. Especially since there's no way to tell which version new players are getting: depending on where you go, you can find all sorts of versions of jj2 available, and if you've just got the game you probably don't know the differences.

Hopefully that clears up any confusion people have. To sum it up: people who think 1.23 is better than 1.24 are being stuck up and don't know what they are talking about (it's 2009), but there is still a reason to keep both around.
Closed Thread