JazzJackrabbit Community Forums  

Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums > Maintenance > Site and Forum Rules, Questions & Feedback

Old November 15th, 2016, 04:08 AM   #1
Darkhog
JCF Member
Fan Attic

Thumbs up Tying forum and site login?

Would be possible to make it so there's single login for all of J2O, both site and forums? As in, unifying user database and login cookies of those two?
   ││_╱ │
  ╱╱   │╲
 (|▔╲  │ )
╱'╲_▔ _╱`╲
╲___) (___╱  TUX LOVES YOU.
Darkhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2016, 08:32 AM   #2
Stijn
Administrator

Reputation: Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold
Technically yes, but it's probably not going to happen, since there is considerable overlap between the two databases (username-wise) and most of those accounts are inactive, meaning we can't ask the users themselves to indicate which accounts could be merged.
Stijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2016, 01:27 AM   #3
SAMI
JCF Member
Noob.

Send a message via Skype™ to SAMI
Its too late.
Old November 17th, 2016, 06:12 AM   #4
Darkhog
JCF Member
Fan Attic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
most of those accounts are inactive, meaning these users probably don't care which accounts could be merged.
FTFY.

Seriously, if someone haven't visited site in years, they probably don't care what'll happen anyway, all you'd need to do is for "conflicting" accounts that can't be contacted to send them e-mail that basically says "okay, listen. We've tried to contact you whether you want to merge JCF account into J2O account or vice versa, but since we've been unable to do so in a reasonable amount of time, your forum login is now your J2O login".

As for users who don't have either J2O or JCF account, here merge is easier.
   ││_╱ │
  ╱╱   │╲
 (|▔╲  │ )
╱'╲_▔ _╱`╲
Old November 17th, 2016, 06:22 AM   #5
Jelly Jam
JCF Member
Желе Џем

Send a message via Skype™ to Jelly Jam
But then, if I get banned from the JCF, wouldn't that mean that I'm banned from J2O as well? Y'know, because it's the same account then.

Well I'm sure Stijn could figure it all out, but to me it sounds like too much pain for something that non of us necessarily need.

Also, some users could probably be using diffirent emails now.
Old November 17th, 2016, 10:26 AM   #6
Treylina
JCF Member
jcf is ded

Reputation: Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend
I'd rather the wiki (Earlong Royal encyclopedia) be made functional again for already. It's been down for years. Linking users accounts would be too much effort for little reward.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ
Treylina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2016, 11:16 AM   #7
Jelly Jam
JCF Member
Желе Џем

Ah, yeah. The wiki does sound like better effort. I hope enough people would actually bother writing a detailed wiki page, though.
Old November 17th, 2016, 11:57 AM   #8
Stijn
Administrator

Reputation: Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Seriously, if someone haven't visited site in years, they probably don't care what'll happen anyway, all you'd need to do is for "conflicting" accounts that can't be contacted to send them e-mail that basically says "okay, listen. We've tried to contact you whether you want to merge JCF account into J2O account or vice versa, but since we've been unable to do so in a reasonable amount of time, your forum login is now your J2O login".
No, because people's e-mails may be outdated, or they may have private data in their personal messages, and merging would give someone access to the private messages of both accounts, and allow them to edit/delete contributions by both accounts, which is something that really should be avoided.

Sure, you can come up with something to counter that, like deleting PMs for accounts that seem dead, or making their downloads read-only, but is that worth it? People do sometimes come back after years, even if it happens rarely.

There is no easy way out. There are ways out, but at this point it's probably not worth the effort.

Quote:
But then, if I get banned from the JCF, wouldn't that mean that I'm banned from J2O as well? Y'know, because it's the same account then.
No, probably JCF access would be another privilege linked to the account which could be toggled separately. Hypothetically.

Quote:
I'd rather the wiki (Earlong Royal encyclopedia) be made functional again for already. It's been down for years. Linking users accounts would be too much effort for little reward.
I have a functional copy of the wiki running locally, but the problem is that its code is incompatible with the site as it's currently running. I'd need to spend a week or two either integrating it or porting the rest of the site as well, which might happen, but it's hard to make predictions about when that would be.
Old November 17th, 2016, 05:25 PM   #9
Darkhog
JCF Member
Fan Attic

Couldn't we just put up wiki on Wikia? I mean, no reason to host it ourselves and worry about all that server nonsense and compatibility more than already, when there are free wiki hosting solutions, such as Wikia.

All that would be needed is to copy articles manually.
   ││_╱ │
  ╱╱   │╲
 (|▔╲  │ )
╱'╲_▔ _╱`╲
Old November 17th, 2016, 09:38 PM   #10
Treylina
JCF Member
jcf is ded

Reputation: Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend
There is a Jazz wikia, but no one uses it. It's also not as professional looking and is missing a lot of historic information.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ
Treylina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2016, 02:08 AM   #11
cooba
JCF Veteran

Reputation: cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light
If you put ERE content onto Wikia I'll search for you and beat you up in person
cooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2016, 06:55 AM   #12
Stijn
Administrator

Yeah, I'm not a fan of moving things off-site. If that's the route to go then we might as well host a Mediawiki instance ourselves, though with the work that entails it'd probably still be a better choice to use the updated version of our own homegrown wiki system.
Old February 9th, 2017, 02:38 PM   #13
Jelly Jam
JCF Member
Желе Џем

Although, I'd like this for my account. Is there a way to do this, in case some people request it for their profiles?
Old February 9th, 2017, 04:26 PM   #14
Stijn
Administrator

Nope, sorry.