Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » The Art & Fiction Forum

Noogy or Nickadoo?

View Poll Results: Noogy or Nickadoo?
Noogy 3 16.67%
Nickadoo 15 83.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

JCF Member

Jelly Jam is doing well so far

Jan 15, 2015, 12:04 PM
Noogy or Nickadoo?

There was a conversation started on the art thread. And i was just wondering, who's Jazz Jackrabbit desing do you people like more? Dean Dodrill's or Nick Standler's?
LET THE POLL BEGGIN

Last edited by Jelly Jam; Jan 15, 2015 at 12:22 PM.

JCF Member

Primpy is an asset to this forumPrimpy is an asset to this forum

Jan 15, 2015, 12:07 PM
Noggy all the way!

"Floppy ears and a big butt?" - Slaz

JCF Member

Jan 15, 2015, 12:10 PM
So you like this more than the Cute little rabbit with a big gun?

Just checking if you know that Dean's drawn this...

JCF Member

Jan 15, 2015, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Jam View Post
So you like this more than the Cute little rabbit with a big gun?

Just checking if you know that Dean's drawn this...
Yep! I preffer this design better than Nick's high Jazz.

JCF Member

Jan 15, 2015, 12:14 PM
Then vote for Noggy pls

JCF Member

Jan 15, 2015, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Then vote for Noggy pls
I already did and it looks like no one agrees.

JCF Member

Jan 15, 2015, 12:17 PM
Uh, i just have no idea why you call Nick's design 'high' Jazz.
Don't you realise that his Jazz is kinda shorter hence his gun being that big in jj1?

JCF Member

Jan 15, 2015, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Uh, i just have no idea why you call Nick's design 'high' Jazz.
Don't you realise that his Jazz is kinda shorter hence his gun being that big in jj1?

He's so high he can barely keep his eyes open. If it's supposed to look like a badass look, sorry Nick but I don't see anything but drug issues on Jazz. Also has that odd rabbit smile.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Jan 15, 2015, 12:25 PM

vs.

JCF Member

Jan 15, 2015, 12:27 PM
Get your photos right, cooby. Equality...

JCF Member

Jan 15, 2015, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooba View Post

vs.

If you played JJ3, it looks like Noggy's design is even higher.
And thanks for the pics cooba

JCF Member

Jan 15, 2015, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Weed.

I played JJ3. Jazz is way cuter there, but badass as always.

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Jan 15, 2015, 12:49 PM
To put it simply, I don't think Noogy's rendition fits Jazz as well, like a saccharine superhero. I always imagined him as a snarky, cocky kind of guy. The more wacky style fits the Jazz 'verse better (it was never meant to be taken seriously).

Though I won't deny that Noogy is better at animating.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

JCF Member

KRSplatinum is a forum legendKRSplatinum is a forum legend

Jan 15, 2015, 01:01 PM
I like Noogy's eyes for Jazz better but Nickadoo draws more texture in Jazz's fur.

The eyes Noogy draws for Jazz are colorful and shiny.

But then, Nickadio makes Jazz's gun look cool. I don't know why Jazz's eyes seem to be half-closed though. That makes it look like Jazz is hiding his personality. And why does Jazz's top eyelid cover half his eye, yet he has no bottom eyelid? Lol, unrealistic.

JCF Member

Jan 15, 2015, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
I always imagined him as a snarky, cocky kind of guy. The more wacky style fits the Jazz 'verse better (it was never meant to be taken seriously).
Girls. no offense

JCF Member

Jan 15, 2015, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primpy View Post
Girls. no offense
What has this got to do with my post? To be more pedantic, what does it have to do with girls?

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Jan 15, 2015, 03:22 PM
I think he means it in a way that roughly translates to "Girls are so weird". If this is the case, adding "No offense" does not make it any better.

Additionally, I agree with Treylina's post about the wacky style. Although, this is much more evident in Jazz 1(Which IMO had a lot more personality than Jazz 2).

But, as many have said, Noogy is also very good; I really like his style, I just think Nickadoo's fits Jazz a bit better.

JCF Member

Metsys is doing well so far

Jan 15, 2015, 08:47 PM
I like the simplified, less "dirty" look of Dean's work more, but that's just preference (same reason why some people think John K's stuff is really appealing but others abhor it). I like it more towards the simplified style but I think Dean took it a little too far, not for the animation though; pencil mileage is important. The higher pencil mileage on Nick's characters makes the fur look matted. Slightly better understand of dominate and subordinate mass on Dean's work, but that probably is rooted in his animation background. I like Nick's hands more. One thing that Dean hasn't gotten down yet is use of color and light. It's kind of hard to tell in the limited VGA palette, but you can tell Nick understands light more. Also I think my nitpickings on Dust are influencing my opinion on that.

I'm going to say Noogy just because I like it slightly better, but really I think the perfect Jazz would be a mix of the two styles.

I've been toying around the idea of doing a Jazz redesign, just for fun and to flex my character designer muscles.

On an unrelated note, Dean will always be my hero of productivity.

JCF Member

Jan 15, 2015, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsys View Post
I'm going to say Noogy just because I like it slightly better, but really I think the perfect Jazz would be a mix of the two styles..
Yes! Finally who agrees with me, at least a little bit. d–(^ ‿ ^ )z

Quote:
What has this got to do with my post? To be more pedantic, what does it have to do with girls?
Pretend I didn't say that. Ugh, I prefer the cute lil' brave bunny more than the asshole "high and badass" rabbit. Are we gonna talk about the bonus round win animation?

JCF Member

Jan 16, 2015, 12:51 AM
Again what's with the high stuff? Nick's Jazz is just as high as Dean's Jazz. And this picture proves it.

Dean did the intro, right? Therefore, this is his Jazz. His head reaaches into the sky!
I'm not saying i don't like Dean's work. I even had a copy of Dust: An elysian tail!
EDIT:
Quote:

He's so high he can barely keep his eyes open. If it's supposed to look like a badass look, sorry Nick but I don't see anything but drug issues on Jazz. Also has that odd rabbit smile.
There's a picture of him smoking a cigarete in the JJ1 comic. No wonder he looks like that. It's supposed to be FUNNY anyway .

Last edited by Jelly Jam; Jan 16, 2015 at 01:02 AM.

JCF Member

Jan 16, 2015, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Again what's with the high stuff? Nick's Jazz is just as high as Dean's Jazz. And this picture proves it.

Dean did the intro, right? Therefore, this is his Jazz. His head reaaches into the sky!
I'm not saying i don't like Dean's work. I even had a copy of Dust: An elysian tail!
EDIT:

There's a picture of him smoking a cigarete in the JJ1 comic. No wonder he looks like that. It's supposed to be FUNNY anyway .
It looks more like he's taking a deep breath or smelling his armpit more than being high. By "high" I didn't mean "height/altitude", but "drugged/stoned". If you really thought I am talking about height, that's just hilarious xD

JCF Member

Jan 16, 2015, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo4900 View Post
Additionally, I agree with Treylina's post about the wacky style. Although, this is much more evident in Jazz 1(Which IMO had a lot more personality than Jazz 2).
I've always wanted to create my own Jazz comics. Something that touches on aspects of the characters, but doesn't take itself too seriously either. I've just been delaying it simply because I want good enough art skills to start it (I may be good at faces, but drawing bodies and especially hands is still troublesome) but I would be getting there if I stop being so lazy.

I'm sad at how in JJ2, the characters (especially Lori) were hardly touched upon in terms of personality and story. Spaz just appears out of nowhere, Lori too. Eva is just there.

I know I do say I don't care about story in games that much, though whenever I think of story in games, I think of longass cutscenes (walls of text moreso) that interfere with the gameplay.

I think Jazz has more potential as a comic than plain-old writing, but then again I have a soft spot for them.

Okay, I'm slightly derailing, though that's as far as I'll talk about it.

JCF Member

Jan 16, 2015, 08:20 AM
Quote:
I've just been delaying it simply because I want good enough art skills to start it (I may be good at faces, but drawing bodies and especially hands is still troublesome) but I would be getting there if I stop being so lazy.
What do you mean, your art is good and you should feel good! Go on and attemp doing a comic. Good or not, you'll get some experience.

Quote:
I'm sad at how in JJ2, the characters (especially Lori) were hardly touched upon in terms of personality and story. Spaz just appears out of nowhere, Lori too. Eva is just there.
I know, right? I guess Spaz lives on Carrotus and Jazz is just traveling in the universe. Ugh, Lori really came out of nonwhere. She literally has no place in the plot. Maybe we would know if JJ3 was released. Feels.

Quote:
Okay, I'm slightly derailing, though that's as far as I'll talk about it.
As long as I am not the person who's going off-topic, Stijn won't notice.

---

Also, you people are saying Dean's design of Jazz isn't badass, eh?

Last edited by Primpy; Jan 16, 2015 at 09:11 AM.

JCF Member

Jan 16, 2015, 09:57 AM
Quote:
What do you mean, your art is good and you should feel good! Go on and attemp doing a comic. Good or not, you'll get some experience.
People get better first impressions in a comic if the art doesn't have derpy anatomy. If I practice it outside of a comic I don't need to worry about first impressions.

Most of what I post is faces, and very, very basic poses. That's not enough for good comic art. I don't want to half-arse on the comic and provide nothing but faces and boring poses. I don't care if other comic artists do that, it's not my thing.

Like I said, I didn't say all my art is bad, I just am just poor in specific areas. I very rarely show hands as that's my weakest area (I'm not defeatist about it, I try and fail to the point where theres a bunch of pencil marks when I rub out, so I simply give up making them look perfect).

JCF Member

Jan 16, 2015, 02:10 PM
I don't think i meant that Dean's Jazz ain't badass, really.
Both Jazzes are badass.
It's just that i think that they have a diffirent personality
The personality of Dean's Jazz kinda resembles Sonic the Hedgehog. Especially in the newer games of that series.
As for Nick's Jazz, he kinda resembles Bugs Bunny, which is a way better choise in my opinion, since the Sonic series don't have such a sense of humor...

JCF Member

Jan 17, 2015, 12:17 AM
Quote:
I don't think i meant that Dean's Jazz ain't badass, really.
Both Jazzes are badass.
It's just that i think that they have a diffirent personality
The personality of Dean's Jazz kinda resembles Sonic the Hedgehog. Especially in the newer games of that series.
As for Nick's Jazz, he kinda resembles Bugs Bunny, which is a way better choise in my opinion, since the Sonic series don't have such a sense of humor...
Not a big fan of Bugs Bunny.

Quote:
People get better first impressions in a comic if the art doesn't have derpy anatomy. If I practice it outside of a comic I don't need to worry about first impressions.

Most of what I post is faces, and very, very basic poses. That's not enough for good comic art. I don't want to half-arse on the comic and provide nothing but faces and boring poses. I don't care if other comic artists do that, it's not my thing.

Like I said, I didn't say all my art is bad, I just am just poor in specific areas. I very rarely show hands as that's my weakest area (I'm not defeatist about it, I try and fail to the point where theres a bunch of pencil marks when I rub out, so I simply give up making them look perfect).
First impressions don't really matter. I still think you should start making the comic you're talking about and open a thread on JCF so people can suggest you stuff and tell you where did you make a mistake, or stuff like that. I only draw Jazz faces too because I draw the bodies asymetrical. A hand is bigger, a leg is shorter, etc. Why not try drawing the comics with a human base instead of starting with Jazz, Spaz or any other rabbit and then modify them so they can look like the character you want to? You can also take a good look at the JJ1 and JJ2 comics and look for what makes them such good comics. I am not an artist so I can't suggest anything else. Good luck with your drawings!

JCF Member

Skulg is doing well so far

Feb 2, 2015, 02:58 AM
Nick all the way! Nick's style was one of my biggest influences when I was younger. It was so grunge-y and wobbly and so wonderfully imperfect. I personally don't like the clean, almost anime-like style Noogy brought into the franchise, as Jazz didn't feel like the scruffy, punk-y soldier of fortune I knew him as any more. But this is a matter of personal taste, so no offense to anyone who prefers Dean's style! I still enjoyed the hell outta JJ2 nonethless!

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Feb 2, 2015, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by $kĂşlg View Post
Nick all the way! Nick's style was one of my biggest influences when I was younger. It was so grunge-y and wobbly and so wonderfully imperfect. I personally don't like the clean, almost anime-like style Noogy brought into the franchise, as Jazz didn't feel like the scruffy, punk-y soldier of fortune I knew him as any more. But this is a matter of personal taste, so no offense to anyone who prefers Dean's style! I still enjoyed the hell outta JJ2 nonethless!
my thoughts exactly

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Member

Feb 2, 2015, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by $kĂşlg View Post
Eh, I remember Jazz as the cute badass little bunny with a big damn gun, not as the cocky, reckless, nasty rabbit. Of course, people have oppinions so we've got to "deal with it" :3

JCF Member

Feb 2, 2015, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Eh, I remember Jazz as the cute badass little bunny with a big damn gun, not as the cocky, reckless, nasty rabbit. Of course, people have oppinions so we've got to "deal with it" :3
What the hell is your point? Nick's Jazz (especially from JJ1) is cute and badass.

JCF Member

Feb 2, 2015, 09:04 AM
Quote:
What the hell is your point? Nick's Jazz (especially from JJ1) is cute and badass.

It's more badass than cute.

This is what I mean by "cute".

JCF Member

Feb 2, 2015, 11:00 AM
Quote:
This is what I mean by "cute".
So what if he's cute, i guess Dean thought that Jazz should look cute, and that Nick thought that Jazz should just look funny! Also, I don't like Jazz's personality on that photo. He should be more THIS!

JCF Member

Hare has disabled reputation

Feb 2, 2015, 12:48 PM
While I feel both versions have their appeal, I feel Nick's Jazz looks more like a Jackrabbit. I'm given the impression that he actually studied jackrabbits for reference. Dean's jazz is great, but I feel his Jazz is based on rabbits, not hares. Given that hares and rabbits are two different species, I like to play around with the idea that Dean and Nick's versions of Jazz are two different bunnies.

Hares are beautifully fugly (Looks more like Nick's Jazz)

Rabbits are cute and squishy. (Looks more like Dean's)

The following are traits that hares exhibit that we've come to love in the Jazz franchise...

Humor

Battle Mode

Special Moves

Pallet Swapping

Fun

And whatever this is... *EDIT* Power ups. This is definitely power ups.

"Okay. I'm Understand" - burnout92

Last edited by Hare; Feb 2, 2015 at 01:17 PM.

JCF Member

Feb 2, 2015, 01:29 PM
Quote:
So what if he's cute, i guess Dean thought that Jazz should look cute, and that Nick thought that Jazz should just look funny! Also, I don't like Jazz's personality on that photo. He should be more THIS!
But he looks like really enjoying what he's doing in that photo! While Dean's Jazz looks like he's having fun while shooting and stuff, Nick's Jazz is tryharding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hare View Post
While I feel both versions have their appeal, I feel Nick's Jazz looks more like a Jackrabbit. I'm given the impression that he actually studied jackrabbits for reference. Dean's jazz is great, but I feel his Jazz is based on rabbits, not hares. Given that hares and rabbits are two different species, I like to play around with the idea that Dean and Nick's versions of Jazz are two different bunnies.

Hares are beautifully fugly (Looks more like Nick's Jazz)

Rabbits are cute and squishy. (Looks more like Dean's)

The following are traits that hares exhibit that we've come to love in the Jazz franchise...

Humor

Battle Mode

Special Moves

Pallet Swapping

Fun

And whatever this is... *EDIT* Power ups. This is definitely power ups.

Oh man, I laughed so hard at this! This has to be moved to Comedy Cafe

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Feb 2, 2015, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hare View Post
*a whole bunch of images*
best post in the thread. can't top that. nobody will. you win

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Feb 2, 2015, 02:49 PM
My reaction to that post.

JCF Member

Feb 3, 2015, 12:52 AM
Quote:
*laughing intensifies*

Last edited by Primpy; Feb 3, 2015 at 01:10 AM.

JCF Member

SAMI is doing well so far

Feb 3, 2015, 02:41 AM
Nick's one always. No argues please! Its my opinion.

JCF Member

Feb 3, 2015, 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMI View Post
Nick's one always. No argues please! Its my opinion.
*argues*

Super Moderator

ShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legend

Feb 3, 2015, 05:09 AM
I love Noogy's work, but I prefer the Nick drawings.

S.H.A.D.O.W.: (aka Ins0mnia)
Synthetic Hydraulic Android Designed for Observation and Warfare

Mystic Legends
http://www.mysticlegends.org

Follow me on twitter: @Ins0mnia
Follow us on twitter: @Mystic_Legends