Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

World of Jazz forum

JCF Member

PT32 is an asset to this forum

Jan 17, 2009, 09:40 AM
World of Jazz THREAD

I'm starting a forum for World of Jazz [my singleplayer campaign project] so that you can find out stuff about it.

So, does anybody want to know what the heck WOJ is?

IN DEVELOPMENT:
Renascence: The Last Jackrabbit

Last edited by PT32; Feb 4, 2009 at 07:19 PM.

JCF Member

Sonyk is doing well so far

Jan 17, 2009, 10:24 AM
Not with a banner like that, I don't.

JCF Member

Jan 17, 2009, 02:07 PM
It is in fact my singleplayer project.

IN DEVELOPMENT:

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Jan 18, 2009, 06:33 AM
So we're gonna talk about YOUR single player project!?..

JCF Member

PurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHART

Jan 18, 2009, 08:36 AM
Wouldn't just posting a thread here be enough to give people information about your pack? Is a whole new forum really necessary?

JCF Member

FawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legend

Jan 18, 2009, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT32 View Post
I'm starting a forum for World of Jazz [my singleplayer campaign project] so that you can find out stuff about it.

don't ask first, when you start a thread like this tell us right away. to keep annoyingness away.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Jan 18, 2009, 09:08 AM
Quote:

(Really sorry, couldn't resist. Just by the way, if you're willing to share, it's best to do it on the JCF)

JCF Member

Jan 19, 2009, 09:42 AM
Okay, so I guess this is gonna be a thread now rather than a forum [don't quite know why I thought to do that...]

Anyway, WOJ is about when Jazz is thrown into an alternate reality, in which Devan is still alive, rabbits are losing the galactic war, and everything is not what it seems....
It's planned as a trilogy, part one is undergoing testing and renovating, but is making fairly good progress.
Many different tilesets are going to be used, including the Dam Nation, JJ1 Medivo, Inferno, Castle and other tilesets.
I'm writing most of the music for it, although I will use a few I didn't write because they had what I was looking for and I was too lazy to write one myself.
If you want, I'll put a couple prelim shots up.
So in short, it's going to be very interesting to see how it eventually turns out, and hope that you will enjoy it.
I haven't decided on a release date yet, as I keep finding more and more things to correct, but it will [hopefully] be sometime in mid-late 2009. This is NOT my final date, just to clear that up, its simply when I think it'll finally and hopefully be ready.
That give you an accurate picture?

IN DEVELOPMENT:

JCF Member

Jan 19, 2009, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Okay, so I guess this is gonna be a thread now rather than a forum [don't quite know why I thought to do that...]

Anyway, WOJ is about when Jazz is thrown into an alternate reality, in which Devan is still alive, rabbits are losing the galactic war, and everything is not what it seems....
It's planned as a trilogy, part one is undergoing testing and renovating, but is making fairly good progress.
Many different tilesets are going to be used, including the Dam Nation, JJ1 Medivo, Inferno, Castle and other tilesets.
I'm writing most of the music for it, although I will use a few I didn't write because they had what I was looking for and I was too lazy to write one myself.
If you want, I'll put a couple prelim shots up.
.. Sounds pretty much like mike's episode.
please let the musics be good

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Jan 19, 2009, 11:18 AM
Quote:
It's planned as a trilogy
Quote:
Originally Posted by FawFul View Post
Sounds pretty much like mike's episode
(-)?
Camou

JCF Member

Camou should make better posts

Jan 19, 2009, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooba View Post
(-)?
Don't forget the different tilesets!!!

JCF Member

Jan 19, 2009, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FawFul View Post
.. Sounds pretty much like mike's episode.
please let the musics be good
Trust me, that concern is unfounded. While he may in fact be one of my testers, I am most certainly NOT stealing his work.
The truth will bear me out here. Let me explain...
Devan is alive. So what? Isn't that like, the #1 universal truth to many JJ2 episodes?
Alternate reality. I am not quite sure where you are coming from, as EM's episode is not [that I am aware of] in an alternate reality. His work resurrected Devan, in mine Devan was never dead.
Trilogy. Big deal. Lots of people make [or plan] multiple episodes. Take FOD's War of the Rabbits saga. Or the Tomb Rabbit adventures. Or Sonicnathan's work-in-progress series of stories. It's not unusual to make 1+ episode, nor to plan one.
Galactic War. ?! That concept belongs to Epic, NOT Evilmike! Rabbits and Turtles are already warring, so that's completely silly.
In short, I cannot think of any real ripoffs from Devres [that you mentioned, and that I remember from your notes] that I have employed, except maybe that you are supposed to use jazz...
Thus, your concerns appear validly, but unnessecary. Thank you for raising the question though!
And yes, I think the musics will do quite well.

IN DEVELOPMENT:

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Jan 19, 2009, 02:47 PM
Yeah, you could say both stories are pretty generic

JCF Member

Jan 19, 2009, 10:03 PM
hmm, well okay, i get it.
But yet, it's a "devan returns so save the galaxy/world" story. those are mostly epic, but just stating people used them already, which may makes your episode unoriginal. (and maybe even more boring to people)

JCF Member

Jan 20, 2009, 05:53 AM
How many people even paid attention to the official JJ2 story? It doesn't matter what the story is, just provide good enough gameplay and people will like it. Single player could use some fresh blood, anyway.

JCF Member

Jan 20, 2009, 11:46 AM
I hope "boring" will not be a word associated with it when I release it....

Sonyk: Dude, JJ2 had a storyline?
....It was just basically "find the ring and quash Devan".

IN DEVELOPMENT:

JCF Member

Troglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legend

Jan 20, 2009, 07:35 PM
I agree. Epic's levels kind of stunk at plot.
Also, how a story is told can be much more important than the basic plot. Small touches can bring an old story into new light and make it completely worth reading or watching or playing.

Lexicographer: Someone who writes dictionaries
Neophyte: A novice, or newbie
Hemisemidemiquaver: In music, a sixty-fourth note

Exit Troglobite, Stage Left

JCF Member

Jan 23, 2009, 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglobite View Post
I agree. Epic's levels kind of stunk at plot.
Also, how a story is told can be much more important than the basic plot. Small touches can bring an old story into new light and make it completely worth reading or watching or playing.
I prefer Epic's "plot", honestly. It gave you a reason to play their pretty good single-player levels, and never got into your face.

Highlight block to show spoiler: And Jazz tripping in the 70s? Classsic.

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Jan 24, 2009, 05:11 AM
I don't think Epic's original single player episodes are that bad. In fact, I've enjoyed them countless times from the beginning to the end. The gameplay is very basic and way too easy to be of challenge when you're experienced with the game, but I did had a few problems beating some levels when I played the game on it's release as a kid back in 1998. Everything beats 'crate puzzles' if it comes to SP level design lol.

JCF Member

Jan 26, 2009, 12:46 PM
Well, the levels were themselves done quite nicely. The plot however was just pathetically mundane. And kinda far-fetched [not in concept, but in execution].
Great levels though.

IN DEVELOPMENT:
sonicnathan 1

JCF Member

sonicnathan 1 is doing well so far

Jan 27, 2009, 08:10 AM
Um PT, last time I check the levels were average. If you have some done send them to me.
Episode 4: Probably never

<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=4882"> Deckstar V3</a>
<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=5408">Colonial Fix</a>
Jazz 1 Fanolint: 98%

<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=5407">Finished secret levels</a>

JCF Member

Jan 27, 2009, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicNathan 1 View Post
Um PT, last time I check the levels were average. If you have some done send them to me.

If you're talking about Epic's levels, I'm not quite sure what you mean. If you refer to WOJ, though, I will be sending you some work shortly.

IN DEVELOPMENT:
Shellraiser

JCF Member

Shellraiser is doing well so far

Feb 25, 2009, 02:19 PM
I think I'm still our freshest blood on the forum, and I'm still trying to get grounded for yet another website, but I've been a frequent downloader of the fan-made levels (mostly Ragnarok's work) for about a year or two. PT, if you need a beta gamer for your WoJ project at a later date--you did, after all, say it may be completed by late 2009--I'd be more than glad to give it a test run.

I've always had difficulty with JCS, but I'm a creative writer. I did have to agree with you a bit regarding the JJ2 plot being pretty garden variety (the game was still a ton of fun!), but sometimes it's difficult to come up with a really good one with the tools given to you. Whatever you decide to do, I'm looking forward to having something else to play, and will be more than glad to give you feedback.

Cheers,
Shellraiser

JCF Member

NovaStar is doing well so far

Feb 25, 2009, 09:01 PM
Do you sign your name in real life, Shellraiser?

JCF Member

Detail is doing well so far

Feb 26, 2009, 01:41 AM
Hello... I need some help, I am new here and I really dont know if I can write it here. I have Jazz Jackrabbit 2 full version, holiday hare 98, christmas chronicles and secret files. But I dont know, how can I put all these missions and characters (Lori) into one file- one jazz jackrabbit 2. All these series I have in a different files. I want to have all missions in one file and not in four files. And I´d like to play with Lori not only secret files and christmas chronicles, but for example Jazz in time. I hope you understand me. Thank you
Shellraiser

JCF Member

Feb 26, 2009, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaStar View Post
Do you sign your name in real life, Shellraiser?
When I'm introducing myself, yes.

JCF Member

Feb 26, 2009, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detail View Post
Hello... I need some help, I am new here and I really dont know if I can write it here. I have Jazz Jackrabbit 2 full version, holiday hare 98, christmas chronicles and secret files. But I dont know, how can I put all these missions and characters (Lori) into one file- one jazz jackrabbit 2. All these series I have in a different files. I want to have all missions in one file and not in four files. And I´d like to play with Lori not only secret files and christmas chronicles, but for example Jazz in time. I hope you understand me. Thank you
this feels extremely off topic but i'll tell you.
you can simply put levels and things from older versions in newer versions maps .. like from 1.23 in a 1.24 map. however.. when saving it converts the file too 1.24. there isn't really a way back. and don't copy the whole jj2 map in it. that would mean you lose versions.

JCF Member

Feb 26, 2009, 09:47 AM
Yeah, like Faw said.
I already screwed mine up doing that :P But always make a backup copy of whatever you are copying. Or do what I do [or DID, starting after messing up my JJ2 levels], and make a copy of the directory that hasn't been used, and call it your "original files" folder. Then you will have working ones.

-Shellraiser: I will be happy to send it to you when it's done. And yes, hopefully you will enjoy it. PLEASE! ENJOY IT! WAAAHH!!!!!!!
jk,

IN DEVELOPMENT:
Shellraiser

JCF Member

Feb 26, 2009, 11:46 AM
If it's challenging and has some pretty catchy eye candy, PT, chances are I'll enjoy what you have to offer. If there's a really creative plot going on (but still feels like it'd work within the Jazz canon), that's even more points. Later in the project, if you need a beta to check for bugs in the level, feel free to give me a PM or email for confirmation. Since the prospect of finding a job this summer, unfortunately, is nothing short of abysmal, I might have to find other ways to kill time. Good luck with the project!

JCF Member

Detail is doing well so far

Feb 27, 2009, 06:28 AM
thank u very much FawFul=)
sonicnathan 1

JCF Member

sonicnathan 1 is doing well so far

Feb 27, 2009, 09:01 AM
Lol. I've done that too. When I was creating my 1.23-1.24 and 1.24-1.23+ patches, I screwed up my versions of jazz a lot to.
Episode 4: Probably never

<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=4882"> Deckstar V3</a>
<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=5408">Colonial Fix</a>
Jazz 1 Fanolint: 98%

<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=5407">Finished secret levels</a>

JCF Member

Mar 27, 2009, 07:08 PM
Hey sup people. I'm not dead, but I AM hard at work on WOJ.
Written about 1/2 the soundtrack, I'm doing mostly plot and songs right now, but some really great levs are coming, so a heads up to testers, new material will be here soon.

IN DEVELOPMENT: