|xlmascension.j2l||Ascension||7.61 kB||24 Oct 2021|
|xlmascensionlite.j2l||Ascension (Lite)||7.72 kB||24 Oct 2021|
|WSF01.j2t||Windstorm Fortress I||127.23 kB||24 Oct 2021|
|impulse.s3m||Impulse||973.09 kB||24 Oct 2021|
|xlmascension.j2as||0.78 kB||24 Oct 2021|
|xlmascensionlite.j2as||0.78 kB||24 Oct 2021|
This is my entry for Ragnarok’s ODT Level Contest.
I actually started a level using this idea/name many years ago, but I finished only a third of that level back then. Afterwards I lost the level with my old hard drive, and so I didn’t have the motivation to start over with it again, as I was planning to make it a rather big level.
However Ragnarok’s contest inspired me to make another attempt, this time scaling the level suitable for duels too. In the end the design came out quite differently than the original one would probably have. Still, I personally am satisfied about the result, but if the level ever makes it to be played in a tournament, I’ll be curious to see/hear how people like this level.
It’s a level that features the theme ‘Floating Fortress’, consisting from a total of ten thousand tiles (100×100 in size.) Also the level consists of two ‘towers’ that are separated only by a small battleground, but carried by nothing, which can only mean one thing=PITS! But don’t worry, lite-version comes with non-lethal pits for those who can’t stand the real pits.
Disabling textured background or using 8-bit colors may make the background distracting. Low/High detail-modes both work properly.
Tileset is Windstorm Fortress I by BlurredD, and music Impulse(impulse.s3m) by Timelord. Enjoy!
EDIT 1: Made several graphical-, flow- and other fixes/tweaks.
EDIT 2: One more graphical fix.
EDIT 3: Replaced the EXIT-signs with arrow-ones.
EDIT 4 (2021-10-24): Reworked gameplay, especially at the lower levels:
- All ammo now spawns in 15 seconds instead of 20.
- Removed electroblasters and added freezer ammo.
- Increased the amount of ammo in general and relocated some of it.
- Powerups spawn in 22 seconds instead of 25.
- Bouncer/Toaster powerups no longer require bouncers/electroblasters to be taken.
- Carrots now spawn in 15/20/25 seconds, depending on their location (faster spawn time in risky or likely busier locations).
- Improved flow in certain places like at the lower middle.
- The very bottom platform with RF powerup is now more open and contains freezer ammo to ease knocking out your opponents into the pit.
- Added scripts to prevent pickups from being shot down and removed the anti-burial floors.
- The sucker tube in the lite version is now around 1 second faster, which should be slightly less punishing when falling into the pit.
- Removed the trigger door from the tube exit in lite version that could potentially allow blocking players from exiting the tube due to the bullet bouncing bug.
- Added hidden text strings.
EDIT 5 (2021-10-24): Reverted electroblaster removal and placed some rf around the lower middle area.
A very good level with a nice flow, good gameplay, interesting ammo placement, a great theme, good music and overall a great atmosphere. It also comes in two versions, which is a very good thing in my opinion (I prefer the non-lethal one though, just so you know :P). Oh and it has OVER 9000 tiles; the level might be too big for duels, but it’s a great level anyway! You get a nice 8.6 and a DL rec from me, have fun!
Eat your lima beans, Johnny.