Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Jazz Jackrabbit or just a temporary broken halfgame?

JCF Member

DennisKainz is notorious for his worthless posts

Dec 10, 2011, 11:45 AM
Angry Jazz Jackrabbit or just a temporary broken halfgame?

List of the proofs that Epic Megagames was really bothered at making Jazz Jackrabbit and wanted to finish as quick as possible and go do better things:

Anims
The bumble bee has a flawless direction changing sprite. It is unused!
Sprites of the bonus mode. Unused too!
Oh, and my favorite: Bubba turning into an angel ... danging unused!
And a lot of other cool, unused stuff ...
No rain particles for Medivo.
No lava particles for Inferno Night.

Game itself:
Layer 5 defining texture mode's speed (absolute and relative).
Unused events, like the lava, the fire, the slide event, yadda yadda ...
Seeing 4 backgrounds when you use 640x480 in Labrat, Hell and Damn (medivo too).
Jazz's sprite and various enemies pass through the walls, and mess up layer 3!
You can easily pass through trees and poles without shooting them.
Layer 8's speed must be 0!
Spikes don't hurt from upside or aside.

Castle
The big pillars on the background have an irregular part.
Layer 8 composable, and various missing stuff in it.
Oh, and that Sonic-like slide thing totally unused and unusable!
When you shoot the armor heads, the shoulders ... The shoulders! That's it!
A lot of unused color indices!

Carrotus:
No slopes on the ceiling.
No corners on the ceiling.
2 unused 2x2 tiles, part of another incomplete project.
The big red carrot is a mixture of sprite colors.
As for the rest ... Carrotus is one of the most usable ones ...

Labrat:
Some mask bugs on the terrain bumps.
Layers 6 and 7 use the same sprites.
You can't understand how layer 5 is supposed to be used.

Colonius:
Backgrounds are copies of the sprite layer.
Mirrored parts in the tileset.
Some unused bricky stuff.
Weird masks on the stairs.

Psychedelic:
Unfitting lower corners.
Pointless bamboo cane. At least I hope it's bamboo ... lol
Wrong masks for the spike event, will always hurt.

Beach of Pirates ... Nah, I'm getting tired of searching for errors, so I'll just write down the ones that I know ...

Inferno:
It's a ... you know what! It is super, super full of bugs!
Layer 6 is designed as a single thing, but loops on the x.
Parts of the soul tree not matching.
Lots of flipped tiles.
Disgusting masks! They make me sick!
No lower part for the spikes tile.
No ceiling edge, and the slope doesn't fit with the rest.
The bone bridges aren't supposed to be warped, even though they are in the levels.
The platform tile doesn't match with the rest of the peninsula, or cursed soil, or whatever ...
The sprite background ... Oh, wait ... I already talked about the masks!
The bridge of atlantean goo doesn't even match with itself!

That's a pity, because Jazz Jackrabbit would have been a great game, with a little more teamwork and less hurry.
I'm sorry, but I'm really disappointed by the shameful behavior that Epic Games had by making it so poor, and most improtantly the ever more shameful behavior they keep on having with all of us everyday. I really wish they had that bit of dignity that every game making group should have. They don't even bother at making the 3rd Jazz Jackrabbit game. This because they're rotten!
But I'm not! I think they should at least make Jazz Jackrabbit 3, and not abuse of their power and say "We're not going to be doing Jazz Jackrabbit", because we're not robots with no feelings.

Epic Games must be shot! Jazz Jackrabbit must be resurrected ... why ... BORN FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!

Jazz Jackrabbit has NEVER EXISTED, since it is not cool the HALF of Sonic the Hedgehog. And this because of those Epic Games TYRANTS!!!

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Dec 10, 2011, 12:16 PM
not even going to bother responding to the rest of the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
They don't even bother at making the 3rd Jazz Jackrabbit game. This because they're rotten!
Epic wanted to make JJ3. What are you even talking about?
Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:18 PM
Ninja
This message has been deleted by Ninja.
Ninja

JCF Member

Ninja is an asset to this forumNinja is an asset to this forum

Dec 10, 2011, 12:21 PM
It's obvious a great deal of passion and teamwork went into this game. And as far as I know, it's the only game Epic has ever lost money on. What do you think they should have done?

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Dec 10, 2011, 12:30 PM
This is complete and utter nonsense and frankly it's annoying that such bullshit is posted on these forums because it's simply without any merit and kind of negative. Half of the things you list would only cater to custom levels and are therefore completely irrelevant to your point and the rest is (mostly minor) bugs and stuff left over from development prototyping. Every game is released with bugs, and JJ2 is far from the most buggy game out there.

Oh Gus, please let go of your tunnel vision and think before you post. You've got a nice signature, maybe consider its message for once.
ThunderPX

JCF Member

ThunderPX is doing well so far

Dec 10, 2011, 12:40 PM
I like your last point 'cause Sonic games sure are never rushed at all!!!

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Dec 10, 2011, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Epic Games must be shot! Jazz Jackrabbit must be resurrected ... why ... BORN FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!

Jazz Jackrabbit has NEVER EXISTED, since it is not cool the HALF of Sonic the Hedgehog. And this because of those Epic Games TYRANTS!!!
Please stop posting forever.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 01:37 PM
PurpleJazz
This message has been deleted by Stijn. Reason: now that is a bit extreme

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Dec 10, 2011, 01:48 PM
I meant to pick out points from the list and respond to them.
Then I realised it makes no sense, as this whole post is a trainwreck.
The conclusions you draw are horrifying, and the arguments supporting it are in no way of comparable scale. I wanted to be nice, but right now what I really mean is

please

stop saying words

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Dec 10, 2011, 02:16 PM
I agree with what DoubleGJ said. Seriously, it's a buggy game that was rushed for good reason(They simply didn't have enough time. This happens with loads of games). Just learn to accept that it's still one of the best games ever made(It won loads of awards over here in the UK as far as I know, I don't get why it didn't do well in America). So, I leave you these simple words to consider for now: "You are posting on a forum dedicated to the game you're attempting to knock".
(This post is not intended to sound mean)

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Dec 10, 2011, 03:20 PM
Now, to be fair, a lot of Gus's specific points hold true. Nick Stadler seems to have done very little work in the last several months of development, comparing 1.10o or even 1.00g/h with the release copy, and many of the issues with the tilesets, in particular masking errors, would have taken next to no time to correct. He's admitted he was new to tileset design, and it does kind of show, especially in organization. I think DoubleGJ gets it right: sure, there are definite problems, but they stop far short of supporting the conclusion Jazz Jackrabbit has never existed.

JCF Member

Ktos. is doing well so far

Dec 10, 2011, 04:45 PM
Actually, I dont think that Jazz Jackrabbit has never existed if its still active after more than 12 years after being created. But well, there are few things I'd like to see in that game. I'd love to see rabbits unable to use guns(there are even special animations for Jazz and Spaz if im sure - they are not holding blasters). But that's only one thing, I think that this is one of the best games made ever. Every game for which there are level editors are good, but Jazz you can create really simply your own "texture"(for which I mean tileset) and create a level using it.
That's the thing for which I'm still playing this game, it's just simple. Not bugfree, I probably haven't played any bugfree game. The second thing is community, small but really, I haven't seen a community like that at any other game. Maybe thats because I don't play internet games very often, but whatever.
And about the whole topic - quite pointless. If I'm sure, every of the bugs you "found" was mentioned in some article about jj2 levels at J2O. It's nice sometimes to talk about "what would happen if...", but you didn't even tried to, you just said that jj2 sucks. Do what you want, play Sonic or, wait what is your newest project? Making a jj1 set remake for this stupid, pointless game?
minmay

JCF Member

minmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesome

Dec 11, 2011, 10:31 AM
you forgot wallclimbing
FireSworD

JCF Member

FireSworD is an asset to this forumFireSworD is an asset to this forum

Dec 11, 2011, 11:44 AM
Fixing some of those tileset related problems yourself seems like a solution. Blur already did with psych.

So yeah, lots of bugs, but I think you're exaggerating the importance of them. Not to mention some of your other points are very...so what?

JCF Member

KRSplat is a forum legendKRSplat is a forum legend

Dec 11, 2011, 04:22 PM
Meanwhile, in Carrotus...

Jazz Jackrabbit: WHAT are you DOing?

JCF Member

Dec 12, 2011, 08:45 AM
That's it, Epic Games and Jazz Jackrabbit are 2 TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS!!!
ACCEPT IT!!! SEGA MADE DOZENS AND DOZENS OF SONIC GAMES, EPIC GAMES DID NOTHING, EXCEPT FOR SAYING A LOT OF BAD WORDS AND PUTTING SO MUCH GORE AND VIOLENCE IN THEIR NEW GAMES!!!

If they wanted to make JJ3, then why do they say "We're not going to be doing Jazz Jackrabbit" in their blog?
It was quoted in the main J2O page some years ago (1 or 2)

And yes, I hate Epic.

EPIC GAMES MUST BE BURNED!!!
JAZZ JACKRABBIT MUST CONTINUE!!!

JCF Member

Jgke is an asset to this forumJgke is an asset to this forum

Dec 12, 2011, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Choose one.

JCF Member

Newspaz has disabled reputation

Dec 12, 2011, 09:06 AM
As far as I know the game was delayed by a great deal because of two features that are missing.

One of them being Microsoft DirectPlay. This was Microsoft's online gaming service in the late nineties. In the end online play was completely redone because apparently it was unworkable. This is most likely also why the (originally announced) online co-op and race modes are missing. In the end it is good they redid it because I think DirectPlay has been discontinued for a while.

The other one is the GRADE system. Which was supposed to make the game work on both Windows and DOS. As far as I know they never got this one to work. You can still find traces of it in the source code though.

In your initial post you are looking too much at the graphics, they aren't where the real shortcomings of the game are. A lot of what was announced in the years/months prior to the release is missing. They tried to do too much, and in the end they never were able to fulfil their promises. If they had released the game a year earlier, like they planned, it would have been an instant classic.

JCF Member

Dec 12, 2011, 09:36 AM
Quote:
SO MUCH GORE AND VIOLENCE IN THEIR NEW GAMES!!!
and it's utterly delicious

(I refuse to reply to your posts seriously until you get yourself together)

|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Dec 12, 2011, 11:36 AM
Gus, stop posting forever.

JCF Member

Crazy Rabbit is doing well so far

Dec 12, 2011, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Epic Games and Jazz Jackrabbit are 2 TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS!!!
Gus Accept the true. If not Epic games, you would've never know anything about Jazz Jackrabbit And no matter how their other games are gorier, they made JJ series.

JCF Member

Dec 12, 2011, 12:04 PM
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooba View Post
You're an admin, aren't you? Then take out the banhammer and ban me!

JCF Veteran

Dec 12, 2011, 12:07 PM
I'm not a JCF admin but I'm sure Stijn can do your request if you ask nicely

JCF Member

Dec 12, 2011, 12:07 PM
Gus indeed should get banned.

JCF Member

Crazy Rabbit is doing well so far

Dec 12, 2011, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Epic Games is disgusting.
Jazz Jackrabbit 2 is full of issues and bugs, and JJ3 was never created.
If you're so angry about that then make JJ2 GOLD version, we'll be gladly to see your work. But we won't pay attention to your complains about nothing so friendly...

JCF Member

GoldRabbit is an asset to this forumGoldRabbit is an asset to this forum

Dec 12, 2011, 12:34 PM
all work and no play makes gus a dull boy

JCF Veteran

Dec 12, 2011, 02:30 PM
On a related note, Rock Paper Shotgun continues to be the #1 game journalism website:
Quote:
With Epic currently working on five titles and the idea for Fortnite having developed from an internal pitch, there’s a sense of a place ready for some creative fermentation. Why not have a shareware corner of the building too, producing more Jazz Jackrabbit and Epic Pinball?
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...mble-fortnite/

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Dec 12, 2011, 03:24 PM
Quote:
That's it, Epic Games and Jazz Jackrabbit are 2 TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS!!!
ACCEPT IT!!! SEGA MADE DOZENS AND DOZENS OF SONIC GAMES, EPIC GAMES DID NOTHING, EXCEPT FOR SAYING A LOT OF BAD WORDS AND PUTTING SO MUCH GORE AND VIOLENCE IN THEIR NEW GAMES!!!

If they wanted to make JJ3, then why do they say "We're not going to be doing Jazz Jackrabbit" in their blog?
It was quoted in the main J2O page some years ago (1 or 2)

And yes, I hate Epic.

I don't think you're quite aware of how horrible the things you're saying are, about how Epic (which consists of people) should be burned and shot. Or how the tone you're using makes you look like a madman. Please consider not using quite so many capitals (which make it look like you're SCREAMING, AND SCREAMING NEVER MAKES FOR CIVIL DISCUSSIONS). And don't be so violent towards Epic, because what's even worse than making games that are violent is being violent towards things that actually exist in the real world - be it in writing or in deed.

Epic Games in 2011 is a very different company than Epic MegaGames was in 1998. Of the core Jazz Jackrabbit creative team only Cliff Bleszinski is still working at Epic, and he's obviously not intending to create a game like Jazz Jackrabbit - a 2D platformer with cartoon graphics that appeals to a young audience - at the moment. Which is perfectly understandable, as he's 13 years older now. I know that I personally have very different interests than 13 years ago, and while I enjoyed JJ back when I was 10 years old I've really moved on by now. I can't blame CliffyB if he's done the same, which seems to be the case.

Also consider that not having the intent of making another Jazz Jackrabbit game is not the same as "hating" Jazz Jackrabbit.

JCF Member

Dec 18, 2011, 05:51 AM
What do you mean he's 13 years old now?
Was he a newborn when he invented the game? :-/

Or is it Jazz Jackrabbit that is 13 years old and I misunderstood?

Anyway, another thing that bugs a lot about Jazz Jackrabbit is this:
- His sprite is wider than his mask, so he is passing through layers 4 and 3 in an ugly way
- Enemies flying through solid parts (except for the rapier, obviously)

JCF Veteran

Dec 18, 2011, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Was he a newborn when he invented the game?
CliffyB is that good.
Ktos.

JCF Member

Dec 18, 2011, 06:29 AM
What's wrong about enemies flying through solid tiles? Sometimes it looks dumb when you shoot floating lizard while its inside a wall, but it's not real bug.

... And also, 13 years older, not old.

JCF Member

Dec 18, 2011, 07:26 AM
Quote:
- His sprite is wider than his mask, so he is passing through layers 4 and 3 in an ugly way
It's actually what makes it look GOOD. I personally wouldn't want to see a square-shaped Jazz, in all animations, always.

EDIT: Wait I wasn't supposed to answer seriously. Uhh, CliffyB is Jazz's twin brother so that's why they were born at the same time

|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Member

Obi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHART

Dec 18, 2011, 07:49 AM
Look, sincere question, Gus, no sarcasm, but why are you still here if you dislike the game so much?

JCF Member

Sean is a forum legendSean is a forum legend

Dec 18, 2011, 10:30 AM
Here's to hoping he takes an arrow to the knee.

JCF Member

Dec 18, 2011, 10:56 AM
I used to like this game as much as you do but then I took a sweetroll in my adventurer.

JCF Member

Dec 18, 2011, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Here's to hoping he takes an arrow to the knee.
Let me guess, someone stole your sweetroll, and now you're angry?

JCF Veteran

Dec 18, 2011, 11:30 AM
For a while I'd wondered what the hell is a swee troll

JCF Member

Sean is a forum legendSean is a forum legend

Dec 18, 2011, 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Let me guess, someone stole your sweetroll, and now you're angry?
Sorry, any references passed over my head. Haven't played Skyrim yet, though I intend to.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 06:31 AM
DennisKainz
This message has been deleted by Stijn. Reason: Read my previous post

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Dec 28, 2011, 08:39 AM
I know, I'm beating a dead horse here, but here are my two cents on this, was going to post earlier but had forgot the pass both to my hotmail and jcf acc.

Jazz Jackrabbit 2 was actually delayed quite a lot, and lost money on it as well, which probably demotivated them from making a sequel. With JJ3, they struggled to find a publisher as Gathering of developers refused to as they lost money on JJ2, thus probably leaving Epic not wanting to bother with the franchise anymore, and move on to something else. I mean, I'd love to have a new JJ game, but if I had a game I lost money on, I don't think I'd be too sure about releasing a sequel either...

Blahblahblah I repeated some things what others already said before unintentionally, whatever, can't be bothered to check back who said it, so much replies.

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Dec 28, 2011, 01:06 PM
(Sorry if this appears as a double-post, it seems my previous one didn't appear)

If you hate JJ2 and Epic so much, why are you still playing Jazz 2 after 13 years, and why are you posting on tihs Jazz 2 forum still? Careful what you post, just take a look at your rep, just look at it for a second, that's what people think of you right now, so stop hating and flaming.

JCF Member

plunK is an asset to this forum

Dec 31, 2011, 02:23 PM
Spore and Super Smash Bros Brawl were also rather broken games with TONS of missing, unused or unfunctional features, and you know what, they're still fun. So is Jazz 2 and the Jazz 3 alpha. End of Discussion.

JCF Member

PurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHART

Dec 31, 2011, 03:21 PM
Also, Gus' rants are mainly about things that didn't make it into the final game. It's a completely useless argument, since just about every game ever made does not include all features that may have been intended in the first place, often due to time constraints or impracticalities.