Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

AngelScript Requests & Help

JCF Member

Foly has disabled reputation

Feb 16, 2013, 12:57 AM
AngelScript Requests & Help

Since there is no thread like this yet, I've decided to make one. This thread is about requests for scripts and help with JJ2 AngelScript. You can post requests for scripts you want to use in your level and ask people for help when something is not working with your code or you don't know if something is executeable.

There are a few rules/guidelines for posting:
  • When your code is long use a spoiler or link to the code instead.
  • Stay on topic, that also means no discussions about what should be added to jj2+ (there is another thread for that).
  • You can post critics about another code, just make sure this is really going to improve the code and not just changes the style of coding. Also if your code is criticized don't start a flamewar, let others decide if the critics are justified.
  • Be specific with what you want, if you want a frog to fly don't forget to mention how it will fly (i.e. floating at one tile or following the player like a bird).
  • If you know how to code consider asking for pseudocode instead, it is more likely people respond to pseudocode requests.
  • If your code is level specific consider posting the level.
Know that some requests are too hard/long or people don't always have motivation or time to spend to help you. Personally I don't mind to create some codes for other people, so don't think you shouldn't post because noone is going to help you
[13:07:13] *** Foly is on a KILLING SPREE!
[13:07:14] *** you killed yourself
[13:07:14] *** Foly was looking good but died instead...

Last edited by Foly; Feb 16, 2013 at 11:54 PM.

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Aug 9, 2013, 04:42 AM
Digging up this thread with a plea for help.

I'm absolutely new to this scripting thing so pardon me if I ask for something completely obvious, but is it possible to write a script so a particular sucker tube will only work if a player moves with enough speed while touching it?

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Aug 9, 2013, 10:50 AM
You could try making your own sucker tube out of an onFunction# and the xSpeed, ySpeed, xPos, yPos, ballTime, and noClip properties, but there would still end up being some things you couldn't set at the moment, like turning off special moves. jjEventSet is probably closer to what you want.

JCF Member

MilloCz2 is doing well so far

Aug 14, 2013, 04:12 PM
Could someone explain me please why jjTileSet function does not work properly?

To describe problem: I want it to create 1 tile in the air in the cords X,Y in layer 4. It does not create that 1 tile, but it creates invisible pillars all around the map. I really have no clue why.

If you haven't tried it, you can:
Quote:
void onLevelLoad(){
jjTileSet(4,0,0,8);
}
You can pick any map with any tileset, but created tile (in my code, tile with number 8) should be masked.

Last edited by MilloCz2; Aug 14, 2013 at 04:26 PM.

JCF Éminence Grise

Aug 14, 2013, 05:47 PM
The 4x1 tile block you're setting a tile in is not unique to that position, therefore all other instances of that same 4x1 block receive the same change. The easiest way to ensure uniqueness is to make one of the tiles an animated tile and place an event—even one that doesn't do anything—on that animated tile.

JCF Member

MilloCz2 is doing well so far

Aug 15, 2013, 02:58 AM
Hah, thanks for quick reply! I will check it out.

(1) Also, is there any way how to show int/doubles etc. in showText/in jjDebug ?

EDIT: (2) What are some good ways of player's INPUT ? I have seen pressing buttons 1-9 as weapon change; is there anything better? Such as input text via jj2 chat?

I'm just starting, both with Angelscript and C++ and I'm very interested in it, since JJ2 is one of my most favourite games.

Last edited by MilloCz2; Aug 15, 2013 at 03:32 AM.

JCF Éminence Grise

Aug 15, 2013, 03:50 AM
(1) AngelScript has a built-in (i.e. I didn't write it) function formatInt which does what you're looking for and can output in a variety of formats. Search the documentation for details.

(2) There's no direct way of accessing input in the most recent release, but it'll turn up later. "Player-Guided Missile" on J2O is an example of indirectly testing the left and right arrow keys (or A/D or whatever the player happens to be using).

JCF Member

PurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHART

Aug 17, 2013, 01:28 AM
Is there any way of detecting whether or not a playing is currently pressing the fire button? I'm trying to write a script where the player's ammo regenerates over a period of time, with a short delay after the last press of the fire button. This would stop ammo from regenerating continuously even when the player is constantly firing.

JCF Éminence Grise

Aug 17, 2013, 01:40 AM
Nope. But you could check whether the ammo count has gone down lately?

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Aug 17, 2013, 09:16 AM
This is another possible solution that has insignificantly longer execution time but doesn't use global variables and is more flexible (can be used for players who aren't local):
Code:
bool playerHasShot(jjPLAYER@ player){
  jjOBJ@ obj;
  for(int i=0;i<jjObjectCount;i++){
    @obj=jjObjects[i];
    if(obj.isActive&&(obj.eventID<OBJECT::SMOKERING||obj.eventID==OBJECT::TNT)&&obj.creatorType==CREATOR::PLAYER&&jjPlayers[obj.creator] is player&&(obj.state==STATE::FLY||obj.state==STATE::ROCKETFLY)&&obj.counter==1) return true;
  }
  return false;
}

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

Last edited by Sir Ementaler; Aug 17, 2013 at 03:15 PM.

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Aug 17, 2013, 02:41 PM
Whoa, that script could use some white space and comments. Is it checking whether a new bullet of a certain player has appeared?

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Aug 17, 2013, 03:23 PM
If there exists an object that is active, is a bullet, was created by the player the function is called for, and has parameters that indicate it has just spawned, return true, otherwise don't.

MilloCz

JCF Member

MilloCz is doing well so far

Aug 29, 2013, 09:50 AM
Hey it's me again.

Could you tell me how to properly use formatInt? Since I don't understand it. I need jjAlert to display "You have X coins." (where X represents the number of coins you have)

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Aug 29, 2013, 09:52 AM
Code:
jjAlert("You have " + p.coins + " coins.");
MilloCz

JCF Member

Aug 29, 2013, 11:06 AM
Oh, when I last tried to write it like that, I forgot to include +'s.
Thanks.
MilloCz

JCF Member

Sep 1, 2013, 08:54 AM
Another question: Why doesn't jjEventSet(p.xPos,p.yPos, 65) work for creating objects like, diamonds? It creates nothing instead, while 65 = Blue gem's ID. Doesn't work even for "OBJECT::BLUEGEM".

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Sep 1, 2013, 09:34 AM
Code:
jjAddObject(OBJECT::BLUEGEM, p.xPos, p.yPos);
?

JCF Éminence Grise

Sep 1, 2013, 10:40 AM
Also, you'd want jjEventSet(p.xPos / 32,p.yPos / 32, OBJECT::BLUEGEM) to the extent that worked at all, since events occupy whole tiles.

JCF Member

Sep 2, 2013, 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
Also, you'd want jjEventSet(p.xPos / 32,p.yPos / 32, OBJECT::BLUEGEM) to the extent that worked at all, since events occupy whole tiles.
Well I give an example; If I place vine event on block and then I use jjEventSet BLUEGEM on the block, the vine disappears, but gem does not appear.

(this works even without dividing xPos by 32)
Toni_

JCF Member

Toni_ is doing well so far

Sep 6, 2013, 11:20 AM
I know nothing about angel scripting and it's possibilities, so I will ask some questions:

- is it possible to change counting on DOM level, so the checkpoint increases your points every 10 seconds? For example if your team has 3 CPs, your score increases by 3 every 10 seconds.

- is it possible to trigger somehow gems in DOM, so if your team owns checkpoint, you can spawn at that area? Otherwise you spawn at another CP you own, or your team loses.

- is it possible to make gems first neutralize and then capture, just like on beginning of the game? For example, red team captures the CP, blue player neutralizes it by standing there for 5 seconds (and nobody can spawn there when it's neutralized), and after that 5 more seconds to capture the checkpoint so players could spawn there.

I am trying to make something that looks similar to Shadowgun's Zone Control gamemode. That could work very well in JJ2 with some changes.

Last edited by Toni_; Oct 20, 2013 at 07:28 AM.
Toni_

JCF Member

Sep 14, 2013, 11:22 AM
Could anyone answer me, please?

JCF Member

Sep 14, 2013, 12:39 PM
I don't think this is possible yet because there is no OBJECT:: DOMAREA. I've also tried to see if I could get the handle of a DOM object in case it's just another object with special properties but no luck there too.
Toni_

JCF Member

Sep 14, 2013, 02:22 PM
I have no knowledge of angel script, but is something like this possible? I will just try to show what I mean, without any real function there.

if gemCaptured = TRUE (activate some trigger)

where trigger is area (for example) 15x15 tiles around the gem, and when player spawns, he can warp there.

JCF Éminence Grise

Sep 14, 2013, 02:37 PM
JJ2+ doesn't presently allow you direct scripting access to DOM mechanics, but you could probably make your own facsimile.

JCF Member

Sep 15, 2013, 04:30 AM
Not sure if I understand you what you wanted to tell me about Foly's level, but I am sad to hear that DOM scripting isn't possible.

JCF Member

Sep 15, 2013, 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Random User View Post
Not sure if I understand you what you wanted to tell me about Foly's level, but I am sad to hear that DOM scripting isn't possible.
He means it is also possible to create your own domination area's like I did in that level, although looking back at that level I think it's a bit sloppy
minmay

JCF Member

minmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesome

Oct 28, 2013, 09:15 PM
Is there any reliable way to check if a non-local player is spectating via AngelScript?

JCF Éminence Grise

Oct 28, 2013, 10:11 PM
Testing their position for being inside the level (instead of at 0,0) seems to be the preferred method at present.

JCF Member

minmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesome

Oct 28, 2013, 10:46 PM
I've tried that, but their position seems to lag a few frames behind when they actually start spectating (at least going by the console announcement)...even if they're the server!

JCF Éminence Grise

Oct 28, 2013, 10:53 PM
Console announcements are, without exception that I can think of, barely more than normal chat messages. They do not reflect the client receiving a notification to actually update any values locally.

JCF Member

Oct 28, 2013, 11:22 PM
Hm, I was expecting they would at least coincide in the server's case.

JCF Member

Oct 30, 2013, 09:43 AM
I'm having trouble with using parameters in place of numerical values. I tried making a script that would spawn an object and make it constantly float near the player, but simply inputting p.xPos and p.yPos for the object's x and y values breaks the whole script. Is there any particular syntax I must use to make this work?

|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Éminence Grise

Oct 30, 2013, 10:03 AM
Sorry, that description's much too vague for me to diagnose your problem. My best guess is that either a) "p" is not a defined variable at the time the function is called or b) you're not passing the parameters in the correct order. If that's not it, you may have to post some more of your code for inspection.

JCF Member

Oct 30, 2013, 10:44 AM
Okay. Here's how it looks right now, for testing purposes:

void onFunction1()
{
jjOBJ@ angryegg = jjObjects[jjAddObject(OBJECT::EGGPLANT, p.xPos + 50, p.yPos + 50)];
angryegg.bulletHandling(HANDLING::IGNOREBULLET);
angryegg.xPos = p.xPos + 50;
angryegg.yPos = p.yPos + 50;
}

that's the whole thing so far.

|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Veteran

Oct 30, 2013, 10:44 AM
p as a global property got deprecated. You need to use this:
Code:
void onFunction1(jjPLAYER@ p)
This will spawn the eggplant, but not constantly adjust its position. plusHeaven has an example of an object behaving the way you want.

JCF Member

Oct 30, 2013, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleGJ View Post
angryegg.bulletHandling(HANDLING::IGNOREBULLET);
bulletHandling is not a function.
Code:
angryegg.bulletHandling=HANDLING::IGNOREBULLET;

JCF Member

Oct 30, 2013, 11:33 AM
ok after the fixes it works somewhat... the eggplant appears where it should, but when I try to make it stay there with onMain, it says I didn't declare angryegg and I don't know what to do

|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Veteran

Oct 30, 2013, 12:06 PM
The beauty of custom behaviors is that you no longer need onMain to do anything complicated with objects:
Code:
void AngryEgg(jjOBJ@ obj) {
	jjPLAYER@ p = jjLocalPlayers[obj.creatorID];
	obj.xPos = p.xPos + 50;
	obj.yPos = p.yPos + 50;
	obj.draw();
}

void onLevelLoad() {
	jjObjectPresets[OBJECT::EGGPLANT].behavior = AngryEgg;
	jjObjectPresets[OBJECT::EGGPLANT].bulletHandling = HANDLING::IGNOREBULLET;
}

void onFunction1(jjPLAYER@ p) {
	jjAddObject(OBJECT::EGGPLANT, p.xPos + 50, p.yPos + 50, p.playerID, CREATOR::PLAYER);
	jjAlert("Eggplant added!");
}

JCF Éminence Grise

Oct 30, 2013, 12:22 PM
p the global object should still work, though—deprecated is not the same thing as removed.

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Oct 30, 2013, 03:36 PM
AngryEgg? I see some Angry Birds game coming!

Tags
angelscript, code, jcs, request