Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

Coming soon: Rainbow Runner

JCF Member

Blade has disabled reputation

Apr 1, 2022, 06:10 AM
Lightbulb Coming soon: Rainbow Runner

Hello friends,

I have been meticulously toiling away with my new JJ2 tileset "Rainbow Runner" since the beginning of January and I am finally able to share a sneak peek of it with everyone.

Rainbow Runner is a tileset of splashing colors, happiness and abrupt quirkiness. In this tileset, Jazz, Spaz, and Lori will find themselves in an environment of dreamy pastel colors, running around on undulating rainbow highways while stumbling upon more eccentric stuff such as unicorns and balloons which, for some reason, keep foreground clouds airborne. At the core, Rainbow Runner consists of three environments, which can of course be mixed together in all sorts of ways. These environments are the clouds (heavily Rayman 1 inspired), the rainbows, and the bluish ground realm. All of them will have a massive amount of tiles for your perusal.

Rainbow Runner has by far the most animated tiles I have ever had in a tileset of mine. It will have all sorts of eyecandy animations (the crown jewel being a running unicorn with the dimensions of 7x4 tiles), but also more practical ones such as disappearing platforms and necessity animations for conveyor belts and warp events. In fact, a cornerstone of Rainbow Runner development has been the fact that most or all gameplay modifiers and environment objects will be supported alongside with some palette events (I will be focusing on the pinball events).

In the beginning, I envisioned Rainbow Runner as a tileset for making race levels. Keeping in line with that vision, I will ship Rainbow Runner on Jazz2Online with at least one race level. That will be a new one for me, for sure

Rainbow Runner has seen all sorts of development branches during these three months and I have already abandoned quite a bit of nice art as I ultimately deemed them incompatible with my vision. Additionally, I made this process needlessly complicated for myself with genius moves like sketching a plan for the tileset after a month of tileset development and not planning on any sort of color budget. Anticipating a complicated drawing process, I have actually maintained a version history of sorts for the tileset. I have a j2l's and j2t's for all development days of this tileset and if you, my JJ2 friends, have interest for it, it will be very easy to share the entire cavalcade of development levels and tilesets with you on J2O.

I am aiming to release Rainbow Runner at Jazz2Online by the end of May, but I am not completely confident about that timeframe yet. A lot of drawing still needs to be done, such as nearly all of the eye candy tiles.

So, without further rambling, I am pleased to share a work-in-progress screenshot of "Rainbow Runner" with you:

Upcoming Blade tileset Rainbow Runner

I will be glad to answer any questions you might have regarding the tileset.

Have a great weekend everyone,
Cheers, Blade

Last edited by Blade; Apr 1, 2022 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Try to fix image
Ninja

JCF Member

Ninja is an asset to this forumNinja is an asset to this forum

Apr 6, 2022, 07:52 AM
This looks so cool!
snzspeed

JCF Member

snzspeed is a forum legendsnzspeed is a forum legendsnzspeed is a forum legend

Apr 6, 2022, 02:44 PM
I love the cloud tiles, and how they are inspired by Rayman... it is such a great game.

JCF Member

Slaz is a forum legendSlaz is a forum legendSlaz is a forum legend

Apr 6, 2022, 02:55 PM
Band Land meets Rainbow Road! Nice to see you're still interested in drawing tilesets. It looks like this'll be one of your more gimmicky sets yet, such a diversion from Aztec 2 but I'll enjoy it nevertheless.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Apr 6, 2022, 07:25 PM
I'm digging the big fat hamster tubes, and the alternate colors of grass! There are parts that feel very satisfyingly old-school, like a Waz set or something, but the clouds and birds really set it apart from everything else.

JCF Member

Blade has disabled reputation

May 26, 2022, 10:20 AM
Smile

Hello all,

Thanks for all the kind words regarding Rainbow Runner. so far. Your support is important to me <3

I am here to share some news on the tileset development process. The tileset is well on its way, and Rainbow Runner has seen a lot of development since the beginning of April. This has been a monumental task for me. So far I have logged over 300 hours into planning, drawing, and playing around in my test level. I have had scores of cool ideas, then added them to the tileset, only to decide later that the tileset has no place for such tiles. Rainbow Runner is going to be my largest tileset yet and one mammoth of a tileset, as I am uncomfortably close to the maximum tile amount of 4096. I am not holding back with Rainbow Runner. That is to say, the tileset is teeming with animations: as of today, the tileset has about 60 different animations, with over 200 tiles for the animation content. There are all sorts of tile space hoarders, one of which is prominently shown in the screenshot of the day:

The upcoming Blade tileset Rainbow Runner, update 2

This screenshot is quite indicative how the tileset is and how it has progressed from a few cloud tiles to thousands of tiles. With Rainbow Runner I feel that I have pushed the boundaries of my pixel artist skills to new directions. I have tasked myself with drawing things I have never attempted before. For example, this large hot air balloon took multiple evenings of work to reach this state.

The evolving design of the tileset can be explained through the Eva statue. When I first started with Rainbow Runner, I was aiming for a surreal, almost dadaist feel. In these surreal veins, Rainbow Runner was supposed to have tiles for card houses. Surely enough, at one point Rainbow Runner did have card houses with Jazz Jackrabbit themed face cards in them. I am sorry to say, but the card house complex is not making appearance in the final tileset. However, the face card designs survive: I decided that instead of ditching the artwork for the king (Jazz), queen (Eva), jack (Spaz and Lori) and joker (Devan) cards, they will be present as statues in the tileset.

So when can we expect this thing to get released? At this time, I am hoping I can finish Rainbow Runner and release it with its levels by the mid-July.

Take care everyone, thank you for your time, share the love and have a nice day.

Yours, Blade

Last edited by Blade; Jun 1, 2022 at 05:20 AM. Reason: lori face card mention

JCF Member

Darkhog is notorious for his worthless posts

May 27, 2022, 03:30 PM
Very cool tileset!
   ││_╱ │
  ╱╱   │╲
 (|▔╲  │ )
╱'╲_▔ _╱`╲
╲___) (___╱  TUX LOVES YOU.