Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Maintenance & Feedback » Site and Forum Rules, Questions & Feedback

Future J2O improvements/ideas

JCF Member

plunK is an asset to this forum

Jan 20, 2009, 03:24 PM
Ya... Mines like 140,000,000 or so i think
FireSworD

JCF Member

FireSworD is an asset to this forumFireSworD is an asset to this forum

Aug 27, 2009, 04:01 PM
The rating system is useless. Please get rid of it.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Aug 27, 2009, 04:14 PM
No.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 08:40 PM
Dermo
This message has been deleted by Dermo.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Jul 6, 2010, 09:42 AM
Oh, I forgot this thread exists.

I think that in Rabbit Journal there could be a thing similar to that used in forums, like a "new posts" text next to its name. Or at least an exclamation mark, or using a bold/italic font. Same thing with comments to the news in the frontpage.

The number of screenshot for an upload could be based on the number of .j2l files in it, like:
0 : 2 screenshots (in case it's an utility or something)
1-3 : 2 screenshots
4-6 : 3 screenshots
7 and more : 4 screenshots
Or something like this, so there can be more for large packs/episodes and no unneccesary ones for stand-alone levels.

Credits box should be much bigger or deleted. I'm not using it because it's annoyingly small and it's hard to write in it.

Also, there could be a link to that Text Formatting page from more places. If I want to reach a certain effect in my level description/review, I need to go to the pictures section first to ensure how (btw, there's also no preview option for those).

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Jul 6, 2010, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
I think that in Rabbit Journal there could be a thing similar to that used in forums, like a "new posts" text next to its name. Or at least an exclamation mark, or using a bold/italic font. Same thing with comments to the news in the frontpage.
That's a nice idea. I'm not sure yet how it would be done from a technical point of view, but it's definitely something to keep in mind.

Quote:
The number of screenshot for an upload could be based on the number of .j2l files in it, like:
0 : 2 screenshots (in case it's an utility or something)
1-3 : 2 screenshots
4-6 : 3 screenshots
7 and more : 4 screenshots
Or something like this, so there can be more for large packs/episodes and no unneccesary ones for stand-alone levels.
I don't see why it'd be necessary to lower the amount of screenshots from 3 to 2 for some uploads. Increasing it would be impractical because it'd require a change in the page layout (3 fits rather nicely now, for 4 the whole box would have to be formatted differently).

Quote:
Credits box should be much bigger or deleted. I'm not using it because it's annoyingly small and it's hard to write in it.
Only making it bigger would be an option, since a lot of existing uploads do use it. I've thought about some alternate approaches (like it being possible to upload a level under multiple accounts, so no "Ragnarok & DarkSonic" (for example) accounts would be needed either), but there's definitely room for improvement anyway. Not sure what would be the best way to do it though.

Quote:
Also, there could be a link to that Text Formatting page from more places. If I want to reach a certain effect in my level description/review, I need to go to the pictures section first to ensure how (btw, there's also no preview option for those).
Good point. A preview option has been requested before, and is definitely on the todo list, but I personally haven't gotten around to doing it yet (maybe, maybe soon...)

JCF Member

Jgke is an asset to this forumJgke is an asset to this forum

Jul 8, 2010, 10:45 AM
Ability to delete submitted screenshots.

Administrator

Jul 8, 2010, 11:19 AM
You are already supposed to be able to delete screenshots for your own uploads. Is this broken for you?

Administrator

Jul 8, 2010, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
Speaking of previews, quotation marks/apostrophes are always preceded by backslashes when you preview an ERE article, can you fix it, please?

How did Hitch post a review four days ago when his last visit to J2O was on April 13 (picture)?
"Last Online" date is only updated if you're logged in. You can also review stuff by filling in your username and password in the review form, which allows you to post a review without logging in.

JCF Member

Jul 9, 2010, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
You are already supposed to be able to delete screenshots for your own uploads. Is this broken for you?
Well, where this is done?

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Aug 1, 2010, 08:47 AM
It's about the third time when I lost a review with a high HI (this time even featured) just because the author decided to delete his upload. Couldn't something at least prevent reducing the number of those featured ones?

Old Aug 4, 2010, 07:16 AM
cooba
This message has been deleted by cooba. Reason: double post no thanks to chrome

JCF Member

Aug 9, 2010, 07:09 AM
I still don't know how to delete submitted screenshots.

JCF Member

Obi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHART

Aug 10, 2010, 08:14 PM
Would it be possible to have a feature to reply or comment on somebody's reviews? Otherwise the page would get a few unnecessary reviews just talking about others. Take a look at DodgeS' Blizzard. His reply to a few reviews was made into a featured review. It might be a good idea to at least stop somebody from getting a featured review on their own upload.

JCF Member

Aug 13, 2010, 10:34 AM
Returning to J2O improvements/ideas, I can't delete my own review. I'm not sure if it's planned or it's a bug, but in both cases I find it a bad thing. What appears is "Error! You are not allowed to view this page, sorry.".

Btw, I don't see a way to delete screenshots for my own uploads just as same as Jake (not that I want to delete any, I was just checking if he's right). If such an option exists, its button is probably not very well placed.

Stealth Admin

Torkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legend

Aug 13, 2010, 11:10 AM
The discussion about JCF reputation has been split to http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=18818.

minmay

JCF Member

minmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesome

Aug 25, 2010, 01:08 PM
I suggest removing the option to disable file preview. It has only been used by people who are trying to get more people to download their levels. To everyone who does this: it doesn't work.
I also think the ability to delete your own uploads should be removed; if someone has a legitimate reason to delete an upload (for example, it's an obsolete utility) they can just ask an admin to do it. Right now it's mostly being used by people who delete uploads because they didn't like the reviews they got, which is completely counterproductive.

JCF Member

Toni should make better posts

Aug 26, 2010, 02:58 AM
I disagree with minmay about disabling file preview.

1) Maybe is a level gimmicky and you can see some secrets on file preview.
2) Maybe it is passworded and author won't let people see how level looks like.
3) I downloaded files what had disabled file preview to see how is that level good/bad.

But on other hand, I agree on disabling "Delete" button because authors are deleting their levels because of low ratings and reviews what they don't like.

Administrator

Aug 26, 2010, 02:59 AM
Quote:
But I think deleted uploads' pages should remain even if author decided to delete his/her files, this way preserving any reviews/ratings the level got (and the author should be able to re-upload the level - for I'm sure some people delete files in their anger and would later agree with submitted reviews). I'm sure it's terrible having written a long review only to have it deleted by a person who didn't like the marks he or she got.
It wouldn't really be deleting a file if you're not deleting it from the downloads listing, would it?

The problem is that if we disable deleting stuff authors could still just re-upload as an empty file or something. Unless we disable re-uploading too, but I don't think that's a good solution. I agree that it's unfortunate that people can't take low ratings they get and remove their files out of frustration, but there's simply little we can do about that.

As for the file previews, I agree with Hunter here; I think there's some legitimate reasons for not wanting to allow file previews and that authors should be free to choose whether to allow it or not. Personally, I like to use it as a way of checking out whether a level looks interesting enough to download or not, so in my case not allowing a preview would mean a lost download, but it's still the author's choice.

JCF Member

Aug 26, 2010, 03:03 AM
Maybe limit how much times author can delete his uploads on J2O. For example, he can delete 2 of 5 uploads on J2O. Or even less; 1 of 5 or 1 of 10 .

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Aug 26, 2010, 03:11 AM
Quote:
But I think deleted uploads' pages should remain even if author decided to delete his/her files
J2O already does this...

Administrator

Aug 26, 2010, 03:12 AM
I really don't think that's what Hunter means.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Aug 26, 2010, 11:47 AM
What? No, don't remove users' ability to choose whether they want to allow file preview or not. It's their level/tileset.

JCF Member

Dermo should make better posts

Aug 26, 2010, 10:04 PM
I agree with Unknown Rabbit. Let them delete it if they wish. And let them decide whether it can be previewed or not. I understand where mini is coming from. However, it should be the author's choice. However, if deleting and re-uploading is reported, there should be a recurring penalty for that (maybe first offense, 2 day temp ban?).

Do you like Stijn? Take my poll!

Windows is not a virus. A virus is small and efficient...

Note to Stijn: how am i even getting away with this

JCF Member

Vulcan should make better posts

Sep 2, 2010, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleJazz View Post
The ability to be able to change your username.
Can you please do that?

That would be AWESOME!

plus i hate my username.

Administrator

Sep 2, 2010, 04:07 PM
Well, you know, http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=17457

JCF Member

Speeza is an asset to this forumSpeeza is an asset to this forum

Sep 24, 2010, 08:42 PM
Perhaps a report dead/broken link for the links section of the site. I've noticed a lot of dead links.

Your friendly JCF Hillybilly
DavidkazBest poster of 2010 ! [GpW]

JCF Member

Oct 4, 2010, 07:27 AM
Another thing, maybe its time to update the did you know. Some of the info is outdated. The #JJ2 stats page for instance is dead.

Administrator

Oct 4, 2010, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeza View Post
Perhaps a report dead/broken link for the links section of the site. I've noticed a lot of dead links.
The link section is practically dead... I think archiving or moving it has been on the todo list for a long time, but we haven't really gotten around to it.

I guess it's time to go through the DYKs again indeed, thanks for reminding us.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:45 PM
Raven aka StL
This message has been deleted by Raven aka StL.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Oct 5, 2010, 09:43 AM
J2O doesn't have a reputation feature. Are you thinking of review ranks?

JCF Member

Oct 5, 2010, 11:49 AM
I guess that he means the JCF one, and just posted it in a wrong thread because of the reputation's official one being closed. Closing a thread doesn't change people's opinions, it just makes their dissatisfaction less visible. I see no problem means there is no problem.

I personally am getting used to this feature (even though my last 5 repgets - as much as it shows - were all negative), but I believe that I could as well get used to hitting my head with a hammer after some time. I'm not sure why so much people here like their heads being hitted, but well, if that's really neccesary to be an active JCF member then keep hitting mine too. Don't be surprised that some people are stopping their activity though, just because they're weak-headed or scared of hammers.

Also, when hitting my head for this post, please use as original hammer as you can. I kinda agree with Mike in this.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Oct 5, 2010, 12:10 PM
Are you guys somehow unable to read the thread title, and/or Stijn's closing post in the reputation thread?

JCF Member

Oct 5, 2010, 12:16 PM
I actually wanted to say only the first sentence and the rest appeared there accidentially.

Administrator

Oct 5, 2010, 02:43 PM
What cooba said. No more posts of delusion please!

JCF Member

Oct 17, 2010, 10:06 PM
Here are some things I think could improve Jazz2online, these are my opinions. Please do not take offence as I mean none at all.

I think Jazz2online could still use some updating. I don't mean new features just updating the features it already has.

First of all The party mode section.

I think it would be great if CTF Codes were put here, I know there's an article about it, but as a new player it would be very useful. I'm guessing this section is mainly for new players. So it makes sense.

Basic game-types page of the party mode section, I know it says basic, but why not just list all of the game modes, it does seem like this section hasn't been updated since JJ2+, however it would be helpful too newcomers , explaining how there played etc. The teambattle description is outdated too. Since with plus its no longer the case.

Levels section
This Is just an idea, but perhaps you could create a new page with some of JJ2's best single player packs here, (evil mikes In my opinion being one of them) Perhaps adding a portrait picture in the style of a JJ2 episode saying something like "The best of JJ2 user content" I know this can be done by searching on the downloads section, but I think it would be good if it contained long single players downloads only. Would be convenient for both new and old users. Some people dislike or cannot play online anyway.

Articles
This again isn't really necessary, perhaps just have a fastlink to the different types of articles on the navigation bar.

Links
I still feel strongly about keeping the link section. Some of the links are dead, a report button to report these dead links would be useful. I know some people would be sad to see some of there old favourites go away so there are two idea's I've come up with, Like stijn said Archive the links section , but make a new links section, and start fresh (this time perhaps with a report dead link button) I still think it would be useful for clans especially to keep the links section, Many people could simply browse around to the active clans site interested in perhaps joining up. An option too delete your links would also be very appreciative.

Oh and some minor things. Perhaps rename party mode to online play.
Maybe combine jcs and levels like you did with other.

Once again these are my opinions and ideas and I'm just trying to help.

JCF Member

Dermo should make better posts

Oct 18, 2010, 05:55 AM
Nice ideas, Speeza!

Also, make "community forums" one link rather than text and a link.

Do you like Stijn? Take my poll!

Windows is not a virus. A virus is small and efficient...

Note to Stijn: how am i even getting away with this

JCF Member

Oct 18, 2010, 06:29 AM
I agree with you speeza. Everything is okay. Maybe you should put "Awards" and add there everyone who has awards. For example, them http://www.jazz2online.com/news/638/jcs-awards-2009/

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Oct 18, 2010, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermo View Post
Nice ideas, Speeza!

Also, make "community forums" one link rather than text and a link.
I think it isn't meant to read "community forums". Forums, downloads, articles, links and 'other' are community parts of the website, while the cateogries left of the word 'community' are about the game (as indicated by the word 'game').

I think another way the website could keep this horizontal menu bar is by placing the 'game' and 'community' parts on two seperate lines. This frees up some space to unfold the (rather ugly) 'other' menu. Also, the website could make better use of the width of modern displays.

As you can see here, hardly anyone still uses 800x600-like resolutions; the most-used is 1024x768, which is quickly losing popularity. In some parts of the world 1024x768 is already no longer the most-used resolution and 800x600 doesn't even have a graph of its own anymore (see the drop-down list at the bottom). So I think it's okay to re-shape the website so it would be 1200 pixels wide, which should be enough to list all site categories in a simple 2-line horizontal bar, without any need to build a difficult-to-navigate sub-sub-submenu system.

Administrator

Oct 18, 2010, 10:59 AM
There's some good ideas in there - a lot of them already covered by the plans announced in http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=18588

Which isn't to say that input isn't appreciated, but large structural stranges like mentioned in the past few posts and require a lot of effort to implement, so I'm afraid they won't happen any time soon (as much as I'd personally like to do something about the links section or layout width, for example).

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Mar 12, 2011, 09:31 AM
Eh, I have no idea exactly where to put this suggestion, but could we please be able to delete our own level reviews (yes I mean on other peoples levels too)? The link is there to delete your own, but it says I can't view this page. Why can't I delete them? It would sure save mods wasting their time, and I have some rather embarrassing reviews I wish I never posted. Maybe it's a bug, but it's well than more about time it was fixed...

JCF Member

Oct 10, 2011, 11:42 AM
I would be thankful for fixing the "More downloads containing this file" feature, the one at file preview. For at least some months it always results in "There are no matching downloads", no matter what file is chosen.

Administrator

Oct 10, 2011, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
Eh, I have no idea exactly where to put this suggestion, but could we please be able to delete our own level reviews (yes I mean on other peoples levels too)? The link is there to delete your own, but it says I can't view this page. Why can't I delete them? It would sure save mods wasting their time, and I have some rather embarrassing reviews I wish I never posted. Maybe it's a bug, but it's well than more about time it was fixed...
I can't remember whether I fixed this and forgot to put a notice here, but anyway, it seems to no longer be an issue.

Quote:
I would be thankful for fixing the "More downloads containing this file" feature, the one at file preview. For at least some months it always results in "There are no matching downloads", no matter what file is chosen.
Fixed.