Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

About the three extra episodes in Jazz 1 CD...

LOLZ84

JCF Member

LOLZ84 is doing well so far

Jun 5, 2008, 05:32 PM
About the three extra episodes in Jazz 1 CD...

Did anyone like or hate them? Personally, I didn't really like them that much because they had poor level design, even though the music was actually pretty good. If you ask me, i'd pretty much stick to episodes 1-6. So, what were your opinions on them?

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Jun 5, 2008, 06:04 PM
They were a bit harder overall than the normal episodes but I don't think they had worse level design. In fact my least favourite jj1 levels are part of the original 6. The CD episodes also had the best music in JJ1, and some of the best tilesets. They also contain my favourite JJ1 planet.

Visit My JJ2 Blog (HOLD YOUR HORSES I'M WORKING ON IT SHEESH)
LOLZ84

JCF Member

Jun 5, 2008, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMike View Post
They were a bit harder overall than the normal episodes but I don't think they had worse level design. In fact my least favourite jj1 levels are part of the original 6. The CD episodes also had the best music in JJ1, and some of the best tilesets. They also contain my favourite JJ1 planet.
Yeah, there were actually a couple good levels in the CD episodes (one example was Deserto) even though there were very frustrating levels such as Raneforus (THOSE DANG MONKEYS!!! ARGHHHHH!!!) And the tilesets and music were actually pretty awesome (Deckstar FTW!!!). I actually meant to say frustrating instead of poor level design. But what from I heard, some people hate them.

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Jun 5, 2008, 08:26 PM
Oh yeah raneforus sucks. I think the rest are good though

Visit My JJ2 Blog (HOLD YOUR HORSES I'M WORKING ON IT SHEESH)

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Jun 6, 2008, 07:21 AM
Some levels included with the 3 extra episodes on the CD version are indeed different on level design compared to the original 6 episodes, not that they made my experience with the game any different but okay.. Personally, if I name my top3 of the worst JJ1 planets, I'd say Pezrock, Fanolint, and Orbitus are the ones I name and none of those is in the A-B-C episodes. The beach planet with swimming and 'darkness' effect actually made me impressive back in the days and if I remember correctly, my favorite planet of all, Industrius, was in those episodes aswel. So I'm kind of happy with my late copy of the CD version..

JCF Member

Enigma is an asset to this forum

Jun 8, 2008, 05:09 AM
The episodes A-C were fun enough to play all right, but I always felt they somehow lacked the atmosphere of the first six. Planets like Lagunicus and Industrius were all right, but the likes of Exoticus and Stonar were kind of icky in my opinion. Quite the contrast with the old episodes, where there wasn't really any planet I didn't enjoy playing (okay, there was that horrid jump in Orbitus, but I kind of liked the planet apart from that).

JCF Member

Sonyk is doing well so far

Jun 8, 2008, 08:57 AM
The only problem I ever had with episodes A-C were the disconnect to the main storyline. I assume they were meant to be somewhere between 1-6, but for some reason the disconnect threw me off.

That being said, Industrius and Deckstar are my two favorite planets.
Ragnarok!

JCF Member

Ragnarok! is a forum legendRagnarok! is a forum legend

Jun 8, 2008, 10:30 AM
... I was about to write something really long but Sonyk's pretty much written what I was about to write. Industrius and Deckstar are my two favourite planets, mostly because of the music and big turtles in deckstar
n00b

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

Jun 8, 2008, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyk View Post
The only problem I ever had with episodes A-C were the disconnect to the main storyline. I assume they were meant to be somewhere between 1-6, but for some reason the disconnect threw me off.
IIRC, A-C take place between 5 and 6 for some reason that I've forgotten. I think its something like Devan throws Jazz's ship off course leading to a variety of subplots such as being attacked by Zoonik, and finding Devan's not-so-secret secret base.
LOLZ84

JCF Member

Jun 8, 2008, 02:12 PM
Yeah the part of the Jazz 1 story is what confuses me. I just recently read a Jazz Jackrabbit fanfic, and it said that Devan showed up at the end of Episode 6 disguised as a taxi driver and kidnaps Eva again, and then kicks Jazz off at Planet Exoticus. Jazz later blows up Deckstar, and corners Devan to Lagunicus and defeats him, & then finds Eva on Holidaius. However, this is non-canon and is not related to the real storyline written by the real Jazz Jackrabbit team. With the Twin Mega Battleships destroyed in the end of Episode 6, then how the heck would Devan be able to conquer Carrotus without them!?! Unless he planned to rebuild them, that doesn't even make ANY sense. I've heard that the CD episodes were suppose to take place between 5-6 or 4-5, but that doesn't make sense either. I've also heard that the base of operations for the Shellion Terrorists was Deckstar, but in other studies, it's the Twin Mega Battleships or even Meg-freaking-airbase! Now i'm just plain confused. Ugh...

JCF Member

Puffie40 is doing well so far

Jun 8, 2008, 02:46 PM
Quote:
I've heard that the CD episodes were suppose to take place between 5-6 or 4-5, but that doesn't make sense either.
One of the episodes does to me. I mean, at the end of episode six, Jazz has to search for Eva, whom devan had stashed away. That part is explained in the ending of episode B.

Industrius is prehaps my favorite level in the CD episodes, but Tubelectric, Letni, Orbitus, Dreempipes and Fanolint are my main favorites
LOLZ84

JCF Member

Jun 18, 2008, 12:46 PM
Well there's two versions of Jazz CD, 1.2 & 1.3. In the 1.2 version, in the end of Episode C: "Wild Wabbit" it says: "Jazz has successfully navigated the depths of space and is on the way to Devan's Hideout." Which is suppose to be a transition to Episode 6. Where in the 1.3 version it says "Jazz has successfully navigated the depths of space and cleaned up Devan's Hideout." So that leads me to believe that Lagunicus is Devan's "secret" hideout, or at least in the 1.3 version. Then it says "Let's go find Eva!" and the episode where you actually do find her is in Episode X: "Holiday Hare". So 1.2 & 1.3 CD editions really confuse me alot. XD
Bboy Type7

JCF Member

Bboy Type7 is doing well so far

Jun 19, 2008, 12:36 PM
i like out of this world ep. ---ing a, best one i've played since xmas edition.

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Jun 21, 2008, 09:29 AM
For another question, have the developers made 9 episodes from the start and then choosen only the best 6 to be in the actual game?
LOLZ84

JCF Member

Jun 24, 2008, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaz View Post
For another question, have the developers made 9 episodes from the start and then choosen only the best 6 to be in the actual game?
I'm not so sure. That's a question to ask CliffyB.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jun 24, 2008, 04:09 PM
I'm not sure there's definite evidence one way or the other, but it seems really unlikely. The best test I could think of would be to find a non-CD version of JJ1 and check it for CD features, be they boss programming or just the Lagunicus water effect, though the latter wouldn't be too authoritative as it's a totally reasonable thing to program and then not initially use. More convincing, if still not completely argument-ending, is the fact that it really looks like CD and JJ2 were being developed at roughly the same time, due to the unfinished CD tileset images that come with JJ2. If CD and JJ1 were originally the same game, then that'd suggest that either JJ2 had been started before JJ1 was even released (and only in the very last planet of C do we see any suggestion of JJ2), or that the developers randomly kept around some unfinished tilesets from before they even started JJ2.

JCF Member

Jun 24, 2008, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Rabbit View Post
If CD and JJ1 were originally the same game, then that'd suggest that either JJ2 had been started before JJ1 was even released (and only in the very last planet of C do we see any suggestion of JJ2), or that the developers randomly kept around some unfinished tilesets from before they even started JJ2.
That can't be possible, Jazz 2 wasn't planned before Jazz 1. I mean they can't assume they will have a sequel if they don't know the first game is or is not a success. Also, Epic announced Jazz 2 shortly after Holiday Hare 95 was released. And, there was no suggestion of Jazz 2 in the ending of Episode C. The ending transitioned to Episode 6 in version 1.2 and Episode X in version 1.3.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jun 24, 2008, 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLZ84 View Post
That can't be possible, Jazz 2 wasn't planned before Jazz 1. I mean they can't assume they will have a sequel if they don't know the first game is or is not a success.
Exactly.

Quote:
And, there was no suggestion of Jazz 2 in the ending of Episode C. The ending transitioned to Episode 6 in version 1.2 and Episode X in version 1.3.
No, but there is a hidden area in Lagunicus that tells you to "look 4 jazz 2" or something along those lines. It's not very powerful evidence and I'm much more committed to the unfinished tilesets thing, which of course show (or at least strongly imply) that JJ2 had been begun well before the creation of the hidden area.

JCF Member

Jun 28, 2008, 12:34 PM
Well this guy apparently dislikes the CD episodes: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...Ppxs3LBA&hl=en (WARNING! Contains vulgar langauge, recommended for mature audiences only, both teenagers and adults!)