This entry attempts to list the command line arguments that Jazz Jackrabbit 2 enables.
How to Use
Use the windows Run command (Start Menu → Run) and enter the location of your Jazz2.exe.
Example: C:\Games\Jazz2\Jazz2.exe. Put a space after the file and put the command-line arguments there. Example: C:\Games\Jazz2\Jazz2.exe -nosound. Alternatively, one can create a windows shortcut to Jazz2.exe and adapt the command line of the shortcut to include the command-line arguments. This can be used to automatically start Jazz2 without sound, or with the spy window on.
List of Command Line Arguments
Did you know :
- There are two types of command line arguments. The first type (system-type arguments) are parsed before the main window is created, while the second (game-type arguments) are parsed after. By convention, the first type should be entered in lowercase while the second in uppercase, but this is not necessary.
- Using -SERVER bypasses the instance check. This means that you can open as many JJ2 windows by running -SERVER randomlevel.j2l, and then leaving the game, as you want.
Note: This list is ordered in the way which Jazz2 interprets the arguments.
- -safe – Starts in safe mode, which does the following:
- sets window to safemode,
- disables sound and directsound,
- disables spy,
- disables network,
- disables joystick,
- disables directdraw,
- disables CPU detection,
- ignores the remaining system-type arguments.
- -windowed – Runs the game in windowed mode.
- -fullscreen – Runs the game in fullscreen mode. (Warning: will overwrite -windowed setting.)
- -log[=] – Writes a log file to filename (default: jazz2.log)
- -nolog – Disables log output. (Warning: will overwrite -log setting.)
- -spy – Enables the Spy window, which gives feedback information on what happens in-game, such as the filenames of levels that start playing.
- -nospy – Disables the Spy window. (Warning: will overwrite -spy setting.)
- -nosound – Starts Jazz without the sound drivers loaded. Useful for debugging problems or just if one likes to play without the sounds on.
- -nodsound – Disables the usage of DirectSound.
- -nonetwork – Disables network usage.
- -noddrawwin – Disables DirectDraw in windowed mode.
- -noddraw – Disables DirectDraw overall.
- -noddrawmemcheck – Skips the memory check, which finds out how much available video memory the system has.
- -noreg – Disables reading from/writing to the registry.
- -nojoy – Disables the detection of joysticks.
- -noerrtrap – Disables the Jazz2 version of the “Application Error” message when an error occurs.
- -nocpucheck – Disables CPU detection.
- -RECORD – Records a macro of the level you start.
- -PLAYER – Usage: Player x. Sets the number of local players.
- -COOP – Cooperative mode.
- -BATTLE – Battle mode.
- -TREASURE – Treasure mode.
- -RACE – Race mode.
- -CAPTURE – Capture the Flag mode.
- -HARD – Hard difficulty setting.
- -MEDIUM – Medium difficulty setting.
- -EASY – Easy difficulty setting.
- -NOFILTER – Skips the parsing of filter.lst, banlist.lst and filter.list.
- -NOTRIPLE – Disables triple buffering.
- -MAXCACHE128 (or 32, 8 or 2 – default is 512) Creates a section cache with N entries in the video memory.
- -SERVER – Starts Jazz2 in server mode. This mode does not put the server on the list servers, but runs the server in TCP/IP mode.
- -MAXPLAYERS – Sets the maximum players that can join the server. Used in conjunction with -SERVER.
- -COUNTS – Usage: -Countsxx. Sets the amount of roasts/gems/flags required to win the level. Used in conjunction with -SERVER.
- -J2I – Usage: -j2i filename.j2i. Loads the specified j2i file.
- -CONNECT – Usage: -Connect x.x.x.x. Connects to the server at the specified IP address.
- LevelPath.j2l – Starts the specified level. Example: Jazz2.exe Battle1.j2l.
- -PLAY – Plays a game.
- -LORI – Starts the game as Lori.
- -SPAZ – Starts the game as Spaz. Also works with 1.23+.
Jazz2+ New Arguments
JJ2+ allows new arguments in command line.
Following descriptions are listed in JJ2+‘s readme file.
- -port=<port> – Sets server port used for listening for client connections. Default port is 10052.
- -LIST – Lists the server on the Internet. Requires -SERVER.
- -LEVELLIST [<number>] – Enables Level List Cycling and loads the first level (or the level belonging to the specified number) from the Level List. Requires -SERVER.
- -MENU – Skips the intro and goes directly to the menu screen.
- -minimize – Minimizes JJ2 to the tray on startup.
- -SETTINGS= – Sets the main configuration file (file must exist). If not specified, defaults to plus.ini.
- -ADMIN=<filename> – Sets the admin configuration file (file must exist). If not specified, defaults to admin.ini.
- -LEVELLISTFILE=<filename> – Sets the Level List file (file must exist). If not specified, defaults to level.ini.
Custom Mode (requires -SERVER)
Related Content Outside the Wiki