Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » Beyond Jazz Jackrabbit 2

OpenJazz

codefire

JCF Member

codefire is doing well so far

Apr 16, 2008, 12:25 AM
PSM? Not come across that before.

I noticed there's some docs available for JJ2, but I was more interested in JJ1.

Thanks.
tehpola

JCF Member

tehpola is doing well so far

May 16, 2008, 10:52 PM
Where'd it go?

It appears as if the OpenJazz official site is down. Anyone know why? I was just looking for the most recent version (I was considering doing a port to the GC/Wii). The only build I found suffered from major issues and I would consider working on some if I got the latest code.

Thanks

JCF Member

Alister is doing well so far

May 17, 2008, 09:06 AM
I don't know why it's down. I don't use my own web space, so there's nothing I can do. Chances are I'll need a new host. I'm asking around, and I hope to have the site back up soon.
tehpola

JCF Member

May 17, 2008, 09:39 AM
Oh alright, I wasn't sure if you were even still around. Do you have any version control for the project (cvs, svn, git)? I'd prefer something like that over just a static copy of one version of the source. Either way, could I get a recent copy of the source? Thanks.
Ricerind

JCF Member

Ricerind is doing well so far

May 18, 2008, 05:17 AM
Alister, I have noticed that OpenJazz will always look for openjazz.000 in the current working directory, regardless of the path used for the rest of the files. This can be corrected by changing line 42 of menu.c to:

Code:
f = fopenFromPath("openjazz.000");

JCF Member

xraven13 is doing well so far

Jun 18, 2008, 03:08 AM
can anyone give me links to download openjazz source code,tiles,music and everything else?? thx

JCF Member

FQuist is an asset to this forumFQuist is an asset to this forum

Jun 18, 2008, 04:34 AM
For the music, tilesets, levels etc. you need to have Jazz Jackrabbit 1.

Interesting Jazz-related links:
Thread: Gameplay Theories - Thread: Make Up Your Own Gametype

Spotify.fm

xraven13

JCF Member

Jun 18, 2008, 09:42 AM
huh?? and where is source code?

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Jun 18, 2008, 10:29 AM
Right here.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Jun 18, 2008, 10:57 AM
More specifically, http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/dow...p?levelID=3960
xraven13

JCF Member

Jun 18, 2008, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fquist View Post
For the music, tilesets, levels etc. you need to have Jazz Jackrabbit 1.
ok thx guys i have source code now....so tell me how i can grab tiles,music,levels and all from jazz jackrabbit 1?? is there any tutorial to link source with all those things? thx

JCF Member

FQuist is an asset to this forumFQuist is an asset to this forum

Jun 20, 2008, 12:43 PM
Like I said, you need the game. To get it, you need to buy it at a shop.

Interesting Jazz-related links:
Thread: Gameplay Theories - Thread: Make Up Your Own Gametype

Spotify.fm

xraven13

JCF Member

Jun 21, 2008, 01:23 AM
lol..yeah right :P

JCF Member

Newspaz has disabled reputation

Jun 21, 2008, 02:27 PM
You could just download the shareware version at Haze's hideout.

JCF member

Krezack has disabled reputation

Jun 23, 2008, 07:02 PM
What's the current status of this project, btw?

I believe they are working on SDL for the iPhone, so ports might be possible in the future. Who knows.
"Are we not threatened with a flood of information? And is this not the monstrousness of it: that it crushes beauty by means of beauty, and annihilates truth by means of truth? For the sound of a million Shakespeares would produce the very same furious din and hubbub as the sound of a herd of prairie buffalo or sea billows."
—Stanisław Lem, Imaginary Magnitude (1973)

JCF Member

Jun 28, 2008, 03:59 PM
Patch

I wrote a small patch to make special enemies such as bees work today.
Keep in mind that I am a total C newbie, and I have only had the chance to test this on the shareware episode. So this might not work as well as you might expect. Although it seems to work pretty well on my computer.

You can find a zip file with the patches and a compiled OpenJazz.exe with the changes over here.

[New version that improves it a bit, not perfect though because it doesn't clean out the behaviors when the playing loop is ended.]

Last edited by Newspaz; Jun 30, 2008 at 04:53 AM.
Ricerind

JCF Member

Jul 1, 2008, 11:09 AM
I found that the above patches didn't seem to cooperate entirely with my copy of the OpenJazz source code (release 120207.) I had to manually apply some of the patch content, and it does work! I've made some new copies of the patches that should work fine for the latest release that's on the OpenJazz site (it's back by the way.)

http://www.mediafire.com/?0m54mjjmgm5

JCF Member

Jul 3, 2008, 06:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraven13 View Post
can anyone give me links to download openjazz source code,tiles,music and everything else?? thx
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraven13 View Post
ok thx guys i have source code now....so tell me how i can grab tiles,music,levels and all from jazz jackrabbit 1?? is there any tutorial to link source with all those things? thx
Firstly I advise that you don't use the source code from the J2O downloads section. It's horrendously outdated. See the OpenJazz site (http://alister.eu/jazz/oj) which is back up for the latest link, or the link below.

You can't link the source with the tilesets/music/levels, it's impossible. Besides, it's not needed. Just compile the game and run it in the same directory as openjazz.000 (available in the Windows downloads on the OpenJazz site) and the game files. Alternatively you can pass the folder containing the game files to OpenJazz as a command line argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehpola View Post
Oh alright, I wasn't sure if you were even still around. Do you have any version control for the project (cvs, svn, git)? I'd prefer something like that over just a static copy of one version of the source. Either way, could I get a recent copy of the source? Thanks.
I have set up a git repository for OpenJazz at http://repo.or.cz/w/OpenJazz.git

Simply run the following command to grab the latest version of OpenJazz.
Code:
git clone git://repo.or.cz/OpenJazz.git

JCF Member

Jul 22, 2008, 03:02 PM
OpenJazz update

Sorry it's been so long. I've been busy with my final year of university. Now that that's over, though, it's time to address your posts! Yay!

Ricerind, #325: This is intentional. It allows you to keep the OpenJazz files separate from your Jazz Jackrabbit files.

Krezack, #335: I'm still working on OpenJazz, and a new version should be up tomorrow*. I don't have an iPhone, but someone will probably port it if it's possible. And I'll be the last to hear about it, if past experience is anything to go by.

Newspaz, #336: Why is everyone so obsessed with the bees!?

Ricerind, #338: Nifty.

*Yes, tomorrow. Really.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 04:49 PM
Marijn
This message has been deleted by Marijn.

JCF Member

Jul 23, 2008, 11:51 AM
As promised, here's a shiny new version of OpenJazz. Please be nice to my bandwidth limit!

I've done my own thing for the bees. I don't know how it compares to Newspaz's, as I haven't looked at his version. I suspect mine move slightly too fast.

Enjoy!

JCF Member

Jul 26, 2008, 01:22 PM
Seems like you have figured it out. But there is a slight problem. The bee doesn't behave like it does in the original Jazz1 (look carefully) and special enemies in other levels don't always work correctly. Since I know you would like to figure this out yourself I'll just hide the solution.

*spoiler ahead*
You should use the event's mutli-purpose byte in order to determine which one of the 16 paths the special enemy should use.

I don't think your implementation takes movement speed into account either. Although just looking at the code makes me realise how much shorter my code could have been.

Last edited by Newspaz; Jul 26, 2008 at 01:46 PM.
Feline

JCF Member

Feline is doing well so far

Jul 29, 2008, 02:03 PM
I've noticed that the OpenJazz is still going! I also noticed a new utility by Doubble Dutch and Newspaz. Glad to see people are still interested in these Jazz1 projects...

Thanks to Dalspots for the awesome banner!

JCF Member

Aug 2, 2008, 03:23 AM
It's alive! Incredible.
i23098

JCF Member

i23098 is doing well so far

Nov 14, 2008, 05:39 AM
Lightbulb Wii port?

Could you make a Wii port?

JCF Member

Sonyk is doing well so far

Nov 14, 2008, 08:50 AM
I don't think SDL's been ported to Wii, so that'd be far more trouble than it's worth.
i23098

JCF Member

i23098 is doing well so far

Nov 16, 2008, 12:52 PM
Wii SDL port

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyk View Post
I don't think SDL's been ported to Wii, so that'd be far more trouble than it's worth.
Actually there's at least a parcial port... (http://code.google.com/p/sdl-wii-ports/downloads/list)

I understand nothing about game programming, but if someone who understand could take a look if it's feasable
myself

JCF Member

myself is doing well so far

Dec 3, 2008, 05:01 AM
Question Help needed

Hi
I'm not a developer, but compiled OpenJazz to Amiga .
Game works fine but only with sound turned off.
So I took libmodplug and compiled it.
Problem appeared with it, because it's in c++ where game is in c.
I've found that I could compile OJ with sound only by changing compiler to c++
at the end.
I got an exe but could't pass menus, because command line stop at loading level0.i.
So I guess that problem is with C/C++ incompatibility, but I'm not a developer so I might be wrong.
I wonder if author could tell what could be the problem.
Please help, it will be appreciated at this matter.
Regards

JCF Member

Jan 5, 2009, 01:54 PM
As far as I can tell, people have managed to get SDL apps to work on the Wii. I don't know how they went about this, though. They may not have even used SDL. The "partial port" linked to doesn't include the core SDL library, which is what OpenJazz uses.

Because OpenJazz restricts itself to SDL (and optionally libmodplug), the existing ports were fairly straightforward. So if there is a straightforward way of porting SDL apps to the Wii, someone else will probably port it sooner or later. If it's not straightforward, it would be difficult for me to do it myself.

"myself": OpenJazz should be compiled as C, libmodplug should be compiled as C++. There's no need to compile them as the same language.

JCF Member

Feb 17, 2009, 06:21 AM
For unrelated reasons, I've switched to C++ anyway. Hopefully, the code should now be easier to understand.

There's also a bunch other new features, such as the ability to swim.

Out now!
tehpola

JCF Member

Jul 8, 2009, 07:53 PM
OpenJazz Wii

I seem to remember there being some interest here earlier, so I wanted to let you guys know that I just recently released a port of OpenJazz for the Wii. You'll need a method of running homebrew on the Wii of course to play it. Code/updates/downloads can be found at http://code.google.com/p/openjazz-wii/.

JCF Member

plunK is an asset to this forum

Jul 12, 2009, 02:32 PM
which of those files do you download tehpola?

JCF Member

Apr 27, 2010, 03:59 PM
Whee, it's been a while since I've posted in this thread! There have been threads on multiplayer and scaling since then.

Well, there's a new version out. In addition to the changes mentioned in the other threads, this version includes basic bonus levels. Huzzah!

JCF Member

GLaDOS is doing well so far

Feb 20, 2011, 06:33 AM
Sorry for bumping this (rather) old thread, but I have a problem with the latest version of OpenJazz (revision 136) on Linux. If scaling is disabled, the palette changes to 16(?) colors which makes the game more or less unplayable:

It works fine when scaling is enabled, but that forces me to use a higher resolution and makes the graphics look slightly deformed.
Is there any way to fix this? I would like to be able play OpenJazz on an ARM/Linux-based handheld (with a screen resolution of 480x272, which makes scaling impossible) which is going to be released soon.
Any kind of help/fix would be greatly appreciated.

JCF Member

Jul 5, 2011, 03:19 PM
Oops, I thought I'd replied to that. Sorry.

It should be fixed in the latest version.

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Oct 12, 2011, 05:58 PM
I've got a bug: All the sound is way too deep (Oh, and the "NOW APPROACHING" text has the wrong palette). I'm sorry, but I just can't play Jazz Jackrabbit without the Music sounding as it's supposed to. I'm gonna stick to DOSBox until you've finished OpenJazz. By the way, when's the next update for OJ?
(I would've made this a PM, but I think this thread needs a bit more activity)

JCF Member

Jan 14, 2012, 05:13 PM
Sorry for the slow response, I don't check this thread very often. It is, as you point out, fairly inactive.

Is the music also too slow? It could be there's a mismatch between the music's sample rate and the playback sample rate. Odd, but fixable.

The "now approaching" palette issue affects everyone, iirc it's difficult to fix. But it's on the list. I have a lot less free time these days, so it's hard to find time to work on OpenJazz. I don't know when the next update will be, though a fix for the music bug would certainly warrant one.

JCF Member

JazzGruff is an asset to this forumJazzGruff is an asset to this forum

Jan 18, 2012, 11:53 AM
I remember playing a lot of Jazz Jackrabbit on my Caanoo ( It's an "open source" Linux-based handheld ). It was a port called OpenJazz, is this the same one?
I recall it working really well as it felt almost the same as the original, and the framerate was perfect. I am not sure if it was really the latest version or anything, but it did feel quite complete in many ways.

Either way, I love to see when people are actually giving this kind of love to older games that truly deserve it! So great thanks!

Also, this is my first post, though I'm not doing it just to make a new thread, I would love to discuss game development related topics and things related to Jazz Jackrabbit ( Mainly Jazz Jackrabbit 3 actually... ), and hopefully become a part of this community!

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Jan 18, 2012, 02:42 PM
(Welcome to the community, JazzGruff!)

Yeah, thanks, Alister. Seriously, Jazz Jackrabbit is one of those games where you need to hear the complete awesome that is the Music at its true, awesome, and original state.

JCF Member

Jul 22, 2013, 12:51 PM
Thanks! Yes, the music is full of awesome.

Just here to mention that there's now a port to Android. It doesn't have music, unfortunately (at least, not on my phone).

JCF Member

FawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legend

Jul 23, 2013, 06:32 AM
About that, i tried to get that to work today, but copying everything out of the jazz1 folder into */files still got the same result of not starting up the game, you see the hud PAD but it still closes. in other words it changed nothing after going through the ok pressing menu