Cooba’s review is exaggeratedly low. It’s a simple and visually appealing battle level, perhaps not ideal for competitive battles but I can see how it could be enjoyable for casual players looking for something fun and simple.
I’ve got no complaints about it. It does what it says it does, and it does it well. Definitely download this if you want other people over Discord to see your current JJ2 activity.
Is this what people refer to as a “lolcow”?
Short and funny level, it’s nice to play a silly level every now and then. Recommended if you want amusement rather than actual gameplay.
A medium-sized level with an interesting character swapping gimmick. The level tileset is a bit hard on the eyes and you might get a little lost at times but other than those two nitpicks, it’s a fun and clever level. Recommended!
It’s an okay level. The palettes used are pleasing to the eye and the gameplay can be fun at times, but it’s very obviously unpolished and not thoroughly tested. Overall, a short, vanilla-esque experience with some scripted elements.
Not a Single Player level.
[FYI this has now been corrected ~ PurpleJazz]
Honestly, pretty good level. These reviews don’t do it justice. A bit claustrophobic at times and the witch section doesn’t specify that you have to break some crates, not kill the witch, but other than that it’s a short and sweet level.
It’s grand! It’s flashy! It’s not fun!
The fact that this level pack is rated 9.5 / 10 completely baffles me. It’s obvious that Blackraptor put a ton of effort into making the visuals but the gameplay itself is incredibly tedious. There is a lot of enemy spam to artificially increase the difficulty and length. Some levels’ visuals are overbearing and straight up confusing. Darn, I wanted this to be a quick review but guess I’ll do a short review of each level instead (secret levels not included).
- “City Centre” is just enemy spam. Tiles are often placed just to confuse you and make you question whether something is a solid object or it’s part of the background. Yes, yes, I get it, it’s supposed to feel ethereal, it’s a “dreamscape” after all. It did not matter to me, the level felt confusing and annoying.
- “Pride” is frustrating. Akin to Queen of Board, you’ll have to check for hidden walls non-stop until you find a trigger crate or something that will let you progress with the level. This is not about skill, it’s about how much patience you have to bump and shoot every object in hopes to get further in the level. The visuals are great though, can’t complain.
- “Quiessence” is a weird one. I’d say I like it if it weren’t for the One Way wall at the start of the level. I still don’t know how to consistently get past that wall, I just bumped into it until magic happened and I got over it. The level theme is interesting, music doesn’t fit (just my opinion here).
- “Phantasmagoria”… yeah, I hate this one. It’s an eyesore full of enemy spam, death pits and whatnot. Goes on for way too long and made my retinas burn.
- “HellFire” and “Crystal Mountain” are rather tame compared to the previous levels. They’re… okay. Visuals are fine, level design is pretty good. They share some of the issues I have with the previous levels but they’re less prominent here.
I have a feeling that I’m treading on thin ice by writing this review, because I’m tainting the rating of a “classic” level pack. Again, this is my opinion: I didn’t have fun while playing this. I get the pack’s theme but I dislike the execution. Judging by its size and visuals, it’s obvious that a TON of effort was put into making this level pack. It just didn’t click with me for the reasons I mentioned above. Oh well.
Pretty solid SP level. There are a few eyecandy issues but the level layout is good.
Tip: Use MLLE instead of JCS, it’s a better level making tool :)
It’s a good conversion, it’s just that the recolored snow “grass” doesn’t look… right.
This will be Carrotus graphics in 2014!
This level looks gorgeous.
It’s a bit claustrophobic and there are too many pick-ups but, overall, it plays nicely.
Does exactly what the description says. It’s great if you want a good chuckle.
Fairly lengthy, nice level design, nice eyecandy. I can’t complain, it’s a good vanilla level pack. Give it a try.
Plays well and has gorgeous visuals. Instantly one of my favorite battle maps.
Good level design, good mechanics, good aesthetics (if you like pastel goth, that is), good final boss. If you’re into JJ2 Single Player levels, this is a must-play.
Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!
It’s not particularly good but it’s at least honest.
Eat your lima beans, Johnny.